The signings Wilder wants...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Imagine if 50% of the transfer budget was spent on clearing out Hammond?

And imagine if we don't even get one chance to tell him what we think of him...

Fucking hell. Same old, same old.

Everyone is mentioning 'who are we bringing in, then?'

My question is: 'Who is already leaving us on an undisclosed before the transfer window shuts?'

Yay! We should back Nig ... Dav ... Nige ... erm, Chris!

Common denominators, people. Common denominators.

pommpey

I think people just need to simmer down a bit, because if anything he has saved some money by cancelling contract offers of Flynn and McEverley just to name 2.

I think the issues seem to be around the wages Hammond, Coutts, Woolford, Freeman, Brayford etc seem to be on. If we're looking to pay around league average for players (£1.5/2k pw) then getting shut of that lot would give us a very large squad!

I don't doubt that we have some big earners on the books but we also have 2 highly successful multimillionnaire owners, who probably have more access to canny financial advice and expertise than most people could ever dream of. Yet they seemingly don't know how (or can't be arsed) to scrape together a decent transfer budget for an exciting new manager and after enduring 5 fucking years in the wasteland.

Where is the urgency to get us moving? Oh that's right, we are going to losen the pursestrings when we are back in the Championship lol!

Newsflash Kevin, the promotion fairies aren't coming down to save us in the meantime. Give the manager some cash ffs!

So sick of this bol locks season after season.

There's absolutely no excuse for the owners of Sheffield United put together a budget that isn't at least the 2nd highest in the division. It's perfectly possible to have that while at the same time avoiding the ludicrous money wasting of previous seasons. I really don't think the owners understand that. Having a promotion budget, believe it or not, is how you get promoted. They can provide it if they want, but for some bizarre, unbelievable, nonsensical reason, you just know they're not going to.

I don't doubt that we have some big earners on the books but we also have 2 highly successful multimillionnaire owners, who probably have more access to canny financial advice and expertise than most people could ever dream of. Yet they seemingly don't know how (or can't be arsed) to scrape together a decent transfer budget for an exciting new manager and after enduring 5 fucking years in the wasteland.

Where is the urgency to get us moving? Oh that's right, we are going to losen the pursestrings when we are back in the Championship lol!

Newsflash Kevin, the promotion fairies aren't coming down to save us in the meantime. Give the manager some cash ffs!

So sick of this bol locks season after season.

But, but... we splashed plenty of cash not so long ago (on one player) and didn't get promoted. Therefore it's only right to give up for the foreseeable future. It's not fair to expect them to invest anything of note for at least another three seasons. No matter how utterly desperate we are. Or how long we've spent down here.

While ever 15,000 let themselves be duped into buying a season ticket nothing will change at this club. It is looking more and more like a re-run of last summer and the one before that, and the one before that and ............................

It's not so simple to say chuck some money in to go up.

He's done that over the years, and it's been wasted. And we are talking back to Robson and Blackwell here more than anything.

The reality is that to get this club up in one season will take around 20 million....and the newsflash is that it's been that way since Wilsons first season failure. That's 20 million including transfer fees and wages, because like it or not the going rate for the number of players we need to get this right will be close to that figure.

Now for the last 10 years we have been losing millions a season, and each season has got worse. I reckon our little 6 year stay in L1 will have cost £30m minimum. Now that's money covered by the owners, so there is no way they will chuck £20m straight in to get us up...because for them it is too much of a gamble.

The way this should have been done is to bring in young talent, scouted to fit the criterion set out and build gradually. If we had done that after that first failure we would have gone up last season by my guess.
Problem is, the board expect this while also expecting promotion too. Add to that the fan expectations and it's a recipe for disaster.

I would just like the club to admit this, be honest and make it clear where the club is. The manager too needs to come out now and tell everyone that he has a really huge job at hand that will take at least 2 seasons, and to sit back and write the coming season off. I know I have.
But they just keep doing everything half arsed...and it's crippling the club.

The reality is that to get this club up in one season will take around 20 million....and the newsflash is that it's been that way since Wilsons first season failure. That's 20 million including transfer fees and wages, because like it or not the going rate for the number of players we need to get this right will be close to that figure.
Sorry but that's way off.

That's 20million extra on top of the current budget!

And it's my opinion, because crazy as it is, players as average as they are in this league want a minimum of 2k a week. So when you are looking at players who are considered the better ones in the league you can bet your mortgage it will be a much higher wage than that.

That's just laughable no way did the likes of Rotherham, Yoevil, Doncaster etc throw anything like that amount at getting out of this division

McCabe was desperate for a manager to appease the fans, who could work on a shoe string. One that was just as desperate to come here, our own Chris wilder.
Right man at the right time, if we'd had a good season, and there was a few quid in the kitty, wilder wouldn't be here. For what it's worth, I think McCabe got the right man, but for all the wrong reasons.

That's just laughable no way did the likes of Rotherham, Yoevil, Doncaster etc throw anything like that amount at getting out of this division

No they didn't.....but they didn't need as many players as we do, and began their promotions and rise in L2...nice and steady as they did it too.
They had a decent style of play and built and improved gradually, something our board and fans will not stand.
So call it laughable if you like....but I don't find anything remotely funny about our 6th season in this league.

For way to long we've been a club of grafters, lacking talent and technical ability. Fans lacking the patience for possession football and demanding players run a lot, kick it forwards and get stuck in. And it's for this reason we need to replace so many players. It's the reason Clough tried to bring in so many....to replace the dross he inherited and the players he brought in who didn't work out (no manager has a 100% record in transfers)

So it's a simple choice...take our time and find our own Kemar Roofe...Tafazolli etc etc and sign em for peanuts (like Adams) or spend yer money and buy the finished article Roofe and Tafazolli (players just used as examples)

Obviously that's where the big bucks comes in.

Not even a question of speculating to accumulate.

You can't start the season or pre-season without 2 first choice recognised centre halves. Period.

It's one thing not having a target man you might like to have but not having a centre half is something you cannot do without.

Short-termism beyond belief if mandatory recruitment is at risk due to the need to offload.

I would sooner we paid off all the crap and then did it our transfer business purely with loans and free transfers. We could at least then pay slightly higher wages (and I'm talking £4k not £2k so not throwing money around) to get some of the better players without a club.

Starting to look like Wilder jumped the gun in getting shut of all the dross. He may not have rated McGahey etc but at least they filled a positiin. Now we are about to go to Spain without one recognised centre half, how are we going to gel as a back four ? The nearer it gets to the start of the season the more we are gonna have to pay for a decent centre half as other sides sense our desperation. Hopefully a couple of the guys we are negotiating with have been released from their former clubs else we are really in the do do !

The sensible thing to do is to meet the demands of 2 of his centre back targets(or at least compromise) and get the deals over the line..I'm getting the impression that the club are saying take it or leave it,and by looks of things they are choosing the latter at the moment

Is it just me or has the spark in Tufty's tone been replaced with frustration and dispare?
In just a few weeks Wilder has gone from being a confident manager who just ran away with league two,to a bloke who is stuttering through interviews and looking more like a rabbit in the headlights with every passing day. Maybe he is finding out like Mickey Adams that this job is much too big for him, I'd like to bet he gets very little support from above, time will tell.
Grizzly blade, how do you explain the promotion at Barnsley fella? Didn't they replace most of their team and were bottom of the league when their manager left, I'd be very surprised if they spent £2m on players very surprised, still their #2 still got them promotion.

No they didn't.....but they didn't need as many players as we do, and began their promotions and rise in L2...nice and steady as they did it too.
They had a decent style of play and built and improved gradually, something our board and fans will not stand.
So call it laughable if you like....but I don't find anything remotely funny about our 6th season in this league.

For way to long we've been a club of grafters, lacking talent and technical ability. Fans lacking the patience for possession football and demanding players run a lot, kick it forwards and get stuck in. And it's for this reason we need to replace so many players. It's the reason Clough tried to bring in so many....to replace the dross he inherited and the players he brought in who didn't work out (no manager has a 100% record in transfers)

So it's a simple choice...take our time and find our own Kemar Roofe...Tafazolli etc etc and sign em for peanuts (like Adams) or spend yer money and buy the finished article Roofe and Tafazolli (players just used as examples)

Obviously that's where the big bucks comes in.
I disagree with most of that. We haven't run a lot, or kicked it far for a decade. When those who decided that that was a thing of the past, we were fucked.

Robson, Weir, Wilson, Adkins, Speed, Clough. All with zero emphasis on grit and determination, all too happy to pay to much for the perceived quality you talk of, all part of the worst period in 125 years of football at BDTBL.

It's trying to hard to dispel the legacy of Basset and Warnock that has fucked this club. We got a new "ethos", but not the one demanded by those demanding it. Our new ethos is now "failure".

UTB

The 'doom and gloomers' are in their element for a while and look at them, they love every minute.

We have now released 12? players and saved 12? salaries. Common sense says Wilder will get a proportion of those savings to spend on immediate replacements, not 12 but maybe 6.

Then we have 6? transfer listed players still with us. Seems reasonable to me that Wilder will have to wait until say 4 of those go until he gets Stage 2 of his budget which will probably be a proportion of the commensurate savings, maybe all of the savings.

In his interview Wilder identifies with the approach.

Who's to say the club won't announce 4 new signings and a new Head Scout one day soon? Where will the 'doom and gloomers' disappear to for a few days then?

Debate is fine it's what constitutes a forum. Agendas are a different kettle of fish. Sometimes people are factually right, sometimes they are fuckin way of the mark.Unfortunately for you Barney 99% of the time you fall into the latter
You will come to realise that I'm right on the majority of things. Getting yourself in to a discussion you didn't know much about yesterday was just a taster for you my good man.

I disagree with most of that. We haven't run a lot, or kicked it far for a decade. When those who decided that that was a thing of the past, we were fucked.

Robson, Weir, Wilson, Adkins, Speed, Clough. All with zero emphasis on grit and determination, all too happy to pay to much for the perceived quality you talk of, all part of the worst period in 125 years of football at BDTBL.

It's trying to hard to dispel the legacy of Basset and Warnock that has fucked this club. We got a new "ethos", but not the one demanded by those demanding it. Our new ethos is now "failure".

UTB

Do you think changing the whole ethos of a club that is deeply engrained with up and at em football will happen overnight? Or indeed in one season.

I put it to you that patience from both board and fans when it came to these changes stretched to a just a couple of months. Working on the training ground to learn new systems, takes time. While you are doing that you aren't working on other things.
And you are right....fans haven't asked for change per se....I have though and have been since we went down from the premier league! And it's that change that is needed IMHO to bring this club up to date with the rest of the game. Clubs playing that dated style don't move forward they reach a certain level and stagnate.

Swansea, Bournemouth to name two....,Stoke have changed their style to survive and move forward. It needs to be done and persevered with...not changed back after a couple of months because we can't wait for it to work. That just leaves us in transition all the time.

So, we either spend silly money and replace the whole lot in one go for players who know how to do it, or we take a few years and build gradually.

I would explain it like this.
Yes, they indeed struggled. However they had a clear style of play and generally have for quite some time. They brought in a lot of young players and credit needs to be given to their board for sticking to their guns and not panicking...,and to the fans too but most of all the manager to I still the confidence in the players to do what they did.
It took time to click, but when it did they were away. And don't forget how crap this league really is....with play offs you can almost give sides a head start and then have a good run from January into the play offs.

So no....I doubt they spent a lot at all. But what they did spend was on the type of players we want now. They also seem to do well with loans....something for some reason we again struggle with. They find attacking flair and pace, while we loan old and slow recovering from injury! Frustrates the hell out of me.....but when you realise that this is because our board/owner refuse to allow those types of loan because we have a whole academy full of young players you can see why it happens.

Our managers are handicapped.....they are riding a blind horse in the national with three legs that's never jumped, and carrying 20st of weight in the saddle.

It's just you and the other internet fannys. Don't fret ladies Chris will bring in a couple of centre halfs .

I'm sure he will too. That was never the issue. Even Blackpool managed to put a side out eventually.

It's who these two centre halves are going to be, and which ones we will have missed out on due to the restrictions our club has set that is the problem.

This isn't me fretting or panicking about us not having any....it's me getting angry that yet again the right things are said early doors but they yet again haven't backed it up. We risk being ill prepared to the point of having a very slow start to the season, and unlike other sides who might be patient our club will combust if this happens. And it makes me wonder if the board have any other response than to just blame the manager and sack him.

Back
Top Bottom