The nucleus

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Obviously depends on money, it would be great to have a big clear out if we have the funds to build (takeover fingers crossed). If that was the case I'd probably hang in to Mcburnie and Baldock.
They're both crap, too many Blades are falling for this 'Baldock gives a fuck'.He is a terrible player and gets overlook of his shitness for his seeming passion to play.
Complete bollocks, He's wank and always has been,never done owt. It's like the bloke on a building site walking round wi a ladder looking like he's busy, but actually is doing fuck all.
False.
If Baldock is your ideal player you fell for it.
Mcburnie knows he's crap.

Wes, Davies
Baldock, Anel, Trusty, Robinson, RND?
Hamer, Norwood, Davies, Slimane
McBurnie?, Archer?, Osula, Traore

I'd let Bogle and Egan go, along with the rest. Offload Souza somehow - Norwood will be more use

Anel and Hamer disappointing in the PL could at least be a blessing to our chances of getting back up. They'll be possible to keep, and if we do both will be crucial - with Anel possibly replacing Egan in the middle

I'd like to think we can keep McB and also find a way to keep Archer. If we do then that definitely puts us up near the top of the league

We need to use January to add 2 or 3 more to this core for next season. But we won't

There is no way to “keep Archer” if we go down, it’s literally impossible. And you’d keep both Davies’s and Norwood? I’m afraid you’ve ruled yourself out of the field to succeed Hecky.

There is no way to “keep Archer” if we go down, it’s literally impossible. And you’d keep both Davies’s and Norwood? I’m afraid you’ve ruled yourself out of the field to succeed Hecky.
We don't need Davies and Norwood and only one will still be in contract at the end of the season, and that ain't Norwood. Time to do what we should have done a while ago, and clear out the ghosts of Wilder and start fresh.

I wouldn't offer McBurnie a new deal as his goal scoring record is below average at best.

2019/20 - 36 games 6 goals
2020/21 - 23 games 1 goal
2021/22 - 28 games 0 goals
2022/23 - 38 games 13 goals
2023/24 - 7 games 2 goals

Overall - 132 games 22 goals £17mil!?!

Granted, this season and our previous relegation season didn't exactly give him the best chance, but over two seasons in the Championship he only scored 13 goals in 66 games, including no goals for nearly a calendar year. He improved last season but didn't even finish in the divisions top 10 highest scorers.

Next season is a chance to start over and finally get rid of the dead wood, busted flushes and players who haven't delivered over the last five years. McBurnie is an average Championship striker at best and there is nothing anyone can do to convince me that he will ever be a reliable and consistent goal scorer at that level.

Sorry. I'm trying to look forward, not back. He is one of many players we have wasted a lot of transfer fee and wages on with absolutely zero chance of cashing in on him, or getting a reasonable fee for. Who would pay more than £5mil for him? Anyone?

As for cash in on Jebbo? I doubt it. He'll either sign a new deal or be gone in the summer on a free. Personally I've got no issue with him leaving. Build a team around Trusty, Hamer and Osula. If Jebbo goes then what will we miss? A player who rarely made the bench even when we had injuries, and rarely came off it when he did make it onto it. There's nothing to miss. He may well end up being another Calvert-Lewin but no one can predict the future. From what I've seen he can run fast and that's it. A slight upgrade on Oli Burke, but at least Jebbo had the occasional shot on goal.
I agree to get rid of Jebbo however that looks on paper.

With McBurnie he might not have the best goalscoring record but what he does have is height, presence and work rate bizarrely at one point our best defender for corners, it’s difficult to get into scoring positions when you are expected down the other end all the time. Often what goes overlooked with players like that is how many defenders he takes, a run towards the box is going to draw at least one defender and the eyes of the keeper, he might not be credited with the assist but by simply being there, defenders don’t like to be done with a simple finish from not picking up a 6’2 player

I agree to get rid of Jebbo however that looks on paper.

With McBurnie he might not have the best goalscoring record but what he does have is height, presence and work rate bizarrely at one point our best defender for corners, it’s difficult to get into scoring positions when you are expected down the other end all the time. Often what goes overlooked with players like that is how many defenders he takes, a run towards the box is going to draw at least one defender and the eyes of the keeper, he might not be credited with the assist but by simply being there, defenders don’t like to be done with a simple finish from not picking up a 6’2 player
All true.

But how many games is he going to be fit for?

Next season the following players(excluding loans), are out of contract.

John Egan, Oli McBurnie, Jayden Bogle, George Baldock, Max Lowe, Rhys Norrington-Davies, Oli Norwood, John Fleck, Ben Osborn, Ismaila Coulibaly, Daniel Jebbison, Wes Foderingham, Adam Davies, Chris Basham, Jordan Amissah.

Out of that list I'd personally only offer new deals to Foderingham, Baldock and Norrington-Davies. The rest can all leave as far as I'm concerned. Not one of them has offered any consistency over the last three seasons.

That would leave us with a nucleus to build on of;

Foderingham, Baldock, Ahmedhodzic, Trusty, Robinson, Norrington-Davies, Arblaster, Slimane, Souza, Traore, Hamer, Davies, Osula, Brewster.

That's 14 players to build a team and new formation around. That would leave us with needing 8 more players to give us a squad of 22 and we still have some other prospects in the wings where 1 might step up to the challenge of the Championship.

Based on this nucleus, what formation would you consider that could get the best out of them? Leaving blanks is fine as we'd need to sign some players anyway. Personally I'd start with Hamer and work out his best position/role and build a team/formation around that.
It’s all well and good saying leave to the lights of Mcburnie. But we need to replace him whether you think he’s amazing or whatever he will cost a few million to replace which we don’t have.

Agree with a lot posted here and the fact we need to start shipping players out after this season who have been good servants to us. It's like anything it's their time to move on, time to move on from playing a back 5 and try something new. Best thing we could do is get a manager in this season with a view of preparing them with the best possible squad for having a go at promotion for next season. (For me) got to be someone who plays a back 4, front foot, aggressive and attacking brand of football. Wouldn't say they have to play tippy tappy play out from back football either, just something to get us excited to watch united again because personally it's been missing not just this season but a lot of the games toward the back end of last season.

Agree with a lot posted here and the fact we need to start shipping players out after this season who have been good servants to us. It's like anything it's their time to move on, time to move on from playing a back 5 and try something new. Best thing we could do is get a manager in this season with a view of preparing them with the best possible squad for having a go at promotion for next season. (For me) got to be someone who plays a back 4, front foot, aggressive and attacking brand of football. Wouldn't say they have to play tippy tappy play out from back football either, just something to get us excited to watch united again because personally it's been missing not just this season but a lot of the games toward the back end of last season.
Totally agreed, the formation of 7 years ago did us well when players were fresh and knew the system and also caught alot of teams unawares of a lot of hard work and graft but naturally age has taken its toll on that era. 4-2-3-1 or similar is probably the best to look at, gives us cover at the back but also opportunities for front foot football or even wing play (what are wingers you may ask?)

Totally agreed, the formation of 7 years ago did us well when players were fresh and knew the system and also caught alot of teams unawares of a lot of hard work and graft but naturally age has taken its toll on that era. 4-2-3-1 or similar is probably the best to look at, gives us cover at the back but also opportunities for front foot football or even wing play (what are wingers you may ask?)
Probably agree with that, seems to be the most successful formation getting out of the championship. Issue we have is funding the change which as we all know cash is few and far between at moment at utd.

Probably agree with that, seems to be the most successful formation getting out of the championship. Issue we have is funding the change which as we all know cash is few and far between at moment at utd.
Yeah thats certainly the downside, presuming we are relegated and the buy back figures are correct for Archer that should free up some cash. With a 4-2-3-1 there are players that we have that can slot in, although not now, Hamer and Arblaster would be good in the 3, potential for Souza to slot in the 2. Its working within our budget maybe picking up a few frees or loans to fill in gaps whilst we develop the conversion. I think when you play a regular recognised formation it is alot easier for players to slot in, plus it can be adaptable at the moment we alienate ourselves from having Wingers or traditional Left/Right Full backs and to some extend traditional Centre backs which means we have to take gambles that don't always pay off

Next season the following players(excluding loans), are out of contract.

John Egan, Oli McBurnie, Jayden Bogle, George Baldock, Max Lowe, Rhys Norrington-Davies, Oli Norwood, John Fleck, Ben Osborn, Ismaila Coulibaly, Daniel Jebbison, Wes Foderingham, Adam Davies, Chris Basham, Jordan Amissah.

Out of that list I'd personally only offer new deals to Foderingham, Baldock and Norrington-Davies. The rest can all leave as far as I'm concerned. Not one of them has offered any consistency over the last three seasons.

That would leave us with a nucleus to build on of;

Foderingham, Baldock, Ahmedhodzic, Trusty, Robinson, Norrington-Davies, Arblaster, Slimane, Souza, Traore, Hamer, Davies, Osula, Brewster.

That's 14 players to build a team and new formation around. That would leave us with needing 8 more players to give us a squad of 22 and we still have some other prospects in the wings where 1 might step up to the challenge of the Championship.

Based on this nucleus, what formation would you consider that could get the best out of them? Leaving blanks is fine as we'd need to sign some players anyway. Personally I'd start with Hamer and work out his best position/role and build a team/formation around that.
Foderingham!! you are having a laugh. Yes hes kept us in games but he is not what we need .

Whatever the squad i also think we need to build to move away from the ”back 5” approach that, together with having two immobile CM’s leaves us woefully short of attacking threat right now. If you watch our defending most of the time no one takes any responsibility, we often have more bodies around but no one is winning their individual battles. Lots of teams play one up top with mobile attacking players behind, none of our 5 defensively minded central players seem capable of picking up with and staying with runners.

At the moment we have plenty of defenders who are familiar with four at the back too, long gone are the “they only know how to play as a 5” excuses. I’d also get rid of the defensive coach who seems to have added absolutely nothing. Let’s challenge people to do their job!

Of course recruitment, budget, availability will dictate what we can build next year but I’d like to see this sort of set up for now / (next season).

NOW

GK - Amissah
DEF - Baldock, Trusty or Amedhodzic, Robinson, Thomas
CM - Norwood, Osborn (energy and least worst option for now)
AM - three of Hamer, McBurnie, McAtee, Osula
STR - Archer

NEXT SEASON

GK - Amissah or NEW
DEF - Baldock, Trusty or Amedhodzic, Robinson, RND or NEW
CM - possibly Arblaster but if not then NEW, NEW
AM - Hamer, NEW, Osula
STR - possibly Jebbo or NEW

I see little point in persevering with Wes, he makes some good saves but is terrible with his feet and weak as piss in the air. Davies has never been good enough. Neither should be here next season. Not seen enough of Amissah but if he’s not good enough then we need a whole new goalkeeping department.

I think we have to be very careful about offering new contracts to players who are frequently injured or long term injured. That would include Bogle, Baldock, Lowe, Jebbo, McB, Bash, RND, Fleck, Osborn. Nevertheless I’d keep Baldock and make him captain and have McB, Jebbo and Osborn as maybe’s.

I’ve not mentioned Souza at all, just like any commentary on the first half yesterday. The minimum I expect of anyone is total commitment and effort. I don’t want to see him paired with Norwood again, at least Norwood isn’t a coward and tries to get involved he need players nearer to him capable of receiving a pass and moving the ball.

Final point, remember when Lunny stank the place out as he ran his contract down and avoided exerting himself, yesterday‘s squad had 9 (NINE) players in the same situation!! I shudder to think what we’re going to be watching second half of this season! That situation is down to the owner and board for a complete lack of long term planning over the last two years. I appreciate he’s been wanting out but his shambolic dalliances with two chancers (pretty obviously so) has really damaged us and no doubt his own position. He’s no longer selling an EPL team.

Sorry, yesterday got to me, rant over!
Good rant 👍

Letting contracts run down cost us money last season, with McBurnie and Baldock there would be decent bids still (£6M+) which we obvs won't get if they are out of contract. Same with Bogle, Jebbison and Osborne to a lesser degree (£2M+) - better to offer a deal than lose them all for nowt.
Not sure the others would command much of a fee anyway so maybe wouldn't renew their contracts.

We badly need some leaders in the team next season. I don't see many here at the moment.
If the money is decent I would also sell Anel (£10-15M?) and maybe Souza (although I hope he would be good at the lower level and a year of settling in the UK under his belt)
I would love Brewster to turn his career around here but, like most, I just cannot see it happening now.

I am not sure where we would bring in much more than £20M in player sales though and we'll probably need to re-invest half of that.

The nucleus of a decent squad for the Championship would be:
New Keeper / Amissah
Bogle, Baldock / Trusty Robinson / RND? Osborne
Souza / Hamer / Arblaster
Osula / McBurnie / Traore / Marsh

We would need another 4 or 5 and hope some more of the U23's progress well (One, Brooks etc)
If we use the loan market well again that would help. We would need to find another MGW type loan to give us a spark.

I also think a bit of a drastic clear out would be good mentally for the squad. This season will take its toll.

I
I wouldn't offer McBurnie a new deal as his goal scoring record is below average at best.

2019/20 - 36 games 6 goals
2020/21 - 23 games 1 goal
2021/22 - 28 games 0 goals
2022/23 - 38 games 13 goals
2023/24 - 7 games 2 goals

Overall - 132 games 22 goals £17mil!?!

Granted, this season and our previous relegation season didn't exactly give him the best chance, but over two seasons in the Championship he only scored 13 goals in 66 games, including no goals for nearly a calendar year. He improved last season but didn't even finish in the divisions top 10 highest scorers.

Next season is a chance to start over and finally get rid of the dead wood, busted flushes and players who haven't delivered over the last five years. McBurnie is an average Championship striker at best and there is nothing anyone can do to convince me that he will ever be a reliable and consistent goal scorer at that level.

Sorry. I'm trying to look forward, not back. He is one of many players we have wasted a lot of transfer fee and wages on with absolutely zero chance of cashing in on him, or getting a reasonable fee for. Who would pay more than £5mil for him? Anyone?

As for cash in on Jebbo? I doubt it. He'll either sign a new deal or be gone in the summer on a free. Personally I've got no issue with him leaving. Build a team around Trusty, Hamer and Osula. If Jebbo goes then what will we miss? A player who rarely made the bench even when we had injuries, and rarely came off it when he did make it onto it. There's nothing to miss. He may well end up being another Calvert-Lewin but no one can predict the future. From what I've seen he can run fast and that's it. A slight upgrade on Oli Burke, but at least Jebbo had the occasional shot on goal.
It's not looking back to keep McBurnie when he's still only 27 though. He scored 13 goals last season, when we got promoted under Warnock and Bassett we had similar goal tallies from Shipperley and Agana, I would love players of similar quality to either of those as they were then for next season. McBurnie has looked our best player this season I think, certainly our best forward. It would be crazy to let him go for nothing. McBurnie may have cost us a lot and decent wages but have you not realised that each time a player leaves United United under the Prince the replacement is far less likely to be as good? At best we'll get someone who is a loan signing or we'll sign a free transfer. Yes we've got Osula and he looks very promising but he's not going to do the job McBurnie can do. I would say McBurnie has delivered last season, it's not about the previous years, it's about where we're going to be next season and even if that's in the PL we should be keeping McBurnie because he is a real handful and has years left playing at a decent level.

Brewster is someone I'd definitely be saying goodbye to, Fleck also, probably Osborn and Lowe should be released considering we also have Boyes coming through at LWB and still have RND but that's assuming RND will be fit again, if not Lowe probably deserves another contract. Why keep Jebbo for the rest of this season if he won't sign a new contract because he isn't going to keep us up, he is almost certainly not going to sign a new contract is my belief. Irrespective, if he doesn't want to sign a new deal we should be selling him on for as much as we can get in January but we'll not get much because he's been ill all season and is out of contract in the summer.

A lot could depend on who is manager of course. If it is to be Hecky or Wilder I'd expect most of the existing team will be retained if we can agree new deals.

Would listen for offers or let go
Basham, Fleck, Norwood, Brewster, Jebbison, Lowe, Bogle, Davies, Coulibaly
And loanees returned
McAtee, Larrouci, Archer

Back
Top Bottom