The NEW media centre at BDTBL

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

See, I'm interested and I'm an engineer but wrong field and I don't actually know anything about stadium engineering, or Bramall Lane's construction.

If money, factors of safety, and time weren't considerations, I'd raise the roof of the South Stand further up the stanchions, and build similar to West Brom but towards the carpark, sort of how the boardroom sticks out further on the South, have the whole top section where it says 'T h e B l a d e s' currently as the medias area, studios with big windows etc.

I'm no engineer but to me it seemed as they just built everything on a platform above the old seats. Very simple construction with the front being full hiegt glazed panels.
Cameras went on a new platform in the roof void. looked more like a loft convesion than a major construction project.

As a footnote it was after the battle of Bramall Lane and they were such a nice club to deal with, same with Rotherham and Chesterfield.
I somehow don't think the Man U's/Chelsea's would be the same.

Doesn't the media center have to have a giant glass pane with full view of the pitch?

The only place it could go, is between the north stand and the kop?

Bramall Lane stand - old and new stand
South Stand - old new stand
Kop - old new stand but seems older stand
John Street - new new stand.

Stand nomenclature is a good indicator of the age span of a Blades fan. Lane End, New stand, Kop and John Street probably puts you in my bracket. My father still refers to it as the Pavilion side, though he hasn't been for about 4 years.

Stand nomenclature is a good indicator of the age span of a Blades fan. Lane End, New stand, Kop and John Street probably puts you in my bracket. My father still refers to it as the Pavilion side, though he hasn't been for about 4 years.

4 years? Didn't he wonder where the cricket pitch was?

Agree on the names though. Will never change.

Football is not the same without the taste of Wards Bitter! :D

We'd sat in the stand numerous times, but he still insisted it was the pavilion side. He still referred to the Grinders stand as well :)

Grnders Stand? First I've heard about that. No wonder they were all miserable sat on those old wooden seats.....

Grnders Stand? First I've heard about that. No wonder they were all miserable sat on those old wooden seats.....

It disappeared partly when the South Stand was built. The terracing that ran from around the Bramall Lane end towards the pavilion was known (mainly from cricket view I think) as the Grinders Stand. Here is a photo of the pavilion taken from the Grinders

u01221.jpg

It disappeared partly when the South Stand was built. The terracing that ran from around the Bramall Lane end towards the pavilion was known (mainly from cricket view I think) as the Grinders Stand. Here is a photo of the pavilion taken from the Grinders

u01221.jpg

Looking at that, the hotel covers most of it. They should've called the bar in the hotel 'The Grinders' :)

Sorry, in a 4 standed ground, every stadium has a North stand.
True. Yet nobody ever has referred to the John Street stand as the North Stand. Ever. Its John Street. Always was, always will be.

Who would call it the North Stand? Only somebody used to referring to one of their own grounds stands in that way.

Sorry, in a 4 standed ground, every stadium has a North stand.
Bramall Lane doesn't. Never has had. It has John Street at the northern side of the ground. Always has had. I'm not the oldest blade on here but in my fifty years of following United, I have never....NEVER... heard John Street referred to as the North Stand. That's at Owlerton.

I'm one of the privileged few who has gained access to the inner echelons of the south stand. The overhanging press box is accessed through a gangway accesible from the press area at the top of the stand. This area, right at the top of the stand, is set aside for media because the press gatry isn't huge. There isn't room to swing a pig up there.

A ladder from there used to lead to the highest echelons of the South Stand - a gangway along the roof leading to a TV camera position right in the middle of the stand, in between the flags. From here, you have a fantastic view of the city centre, but I haven't seen any camera shots from up there this season. Sky seems to prefer to use shots from an unmanned camera on the kop roof. I hope we see the South Stand view next season as the city centre is looking more tall and impressive these days.

Insidentally I like the overhanging press gantry. It gives the South Stand a bit of character. It seems to be bolted on to the steel girders of the roof. If a second tier were ever added it would probably need to be removed.

A ladder from there used to lead to the highest echelons of the South Stand - a gangway along the roof leading to a TV camera position right in the middle of the stand, in between the flags.

Yeah, I remember my first visit up there as a mascot. They'd never allow that these days due to health and safety... Basically walking a plank between a couple of girders :D

Back
Top Bottom