The JPT is going all world cup.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'd go fucking mental if we won the JPT and celebrate it like we'd won the Champions League, since it's the only bit of knockout silverware i think i'm ever likely to see united win.

I saw us lift the County Cup in 1982 and the Y&H Cup in 1988. The 80's were a golden era (apart from the fact that we spent much of it in the lower divisions)*

* It's also the only decade thus far when didn't play in the top tier. We have 5 more season to avoid that this decade.

I saw us lift the County Cup in 1982 and the Y&H Cup in 1988. The 80's were a golden era (apart from the fact that we spent much of it in the lower divisions)*

* It's also the only decade thus far when didn't play in the top tier. We have 5 more season to avoid that this decade.

The Football league trophy is probably the 4th most prestigious bit of knockout silver in domestic competition (after the FA Cup, The league Cup and The Community Shield).

Where did those cups fit into things?

The Football league trophy is probably the 4th most prestigious bit of knockout silver in domestic competition (after the FA Cup, The league Cup and The Community Shield).

Where did those cups fit into things?

That's like saying someone who comes 4th, 500m behind the rest, in a 4 man 1500m race is the 4th best runner in the race.

No-one gives a shit about any knock out football in this country except the FA Cup and League Cup, and barely even that.

Edit: in actual fact, you could say it was harder to win the Y&H Cup and County Cups as we had to play top two tier teams in those (Bradford in the former and Wednesday and Barnsley in the latter)

That's like saying someone who comes 4th, 500m behind the rest, in a 4 man 1500m race is the 4th best runner in the race.

No-one gives a shit about any knock out football in this country except the FA Cup and League Cup, and barely even that.

Edit: in actual fact, you could say it was harder to win the Y&H Cup and County Cups as we had to play top two tier teams in those (Bradford in the former and Wednesday and Barnsley in the latter)

I was once the 5th best 1500m runner in Sheffield School's. And yes, i came 5th out of 5 in the final :)

I was once the 5th best 1500m runner in Sheffield School's. And yes, i came 5th out of 5 in the final :)

I think this might be an age thing.

I started supported United when we had never finished below half way in the 2nd tier. To me getting all excited about winning a cup reserved for 3rd and 4th division teams is acutely embarrassing.

You younsters have lower expectations :)

Since the Premier League title and FA Cup are way out of our league all that remains is the Carling Cup and Johnstones Paint Trophy

Ask Arsenal fans if they don't give a sh!t about knock out football - only thing they have won for a long long time !

Since the Premier League title and FA Cup are way out of our league all that remains is the Carling Cup and Johnstones Paint Trophy

Ask Arsenal fans if they don't give a sh!t about knock out football - only thing they have won for a long long time !

Indeed, but the FA Cup is worth winning.

Answer me this, what would you rather

(a) finish 2nd next season, get knocked out of the JPT early doors and finish the following season mid table in the 2nd tier

(b) finish 8th next season and win the JPT

Option (a) we don't get a trophy, option (b) we do, but Is there any sane person who would go for (b)? If not, that shows the value of this particular trophy.

I think this might be an age thing.

I started supported United when we had never finished below half way in the 2nd tier. To me getting all excited about winning a cup reserved for 3rd and 4th division teams is acutely embarrassing.

You younsters have lower expectations :)

Well Daren, you must get embarrassed every Saturday afternoon when we play our 3rd Division league games - I think it's acutely embarrassing playing against the likes of Scunthorpe, Chesterfield, Rochdale, Walsall, Colchester etc etc week in week out but that's where we are !
How can playing in a competition reserved for 3rd & 4th Division team be embarrassing to a team that plays in the 3rd division (and for a long time last season was in the bottom four)
We are where we are because we deserve to be !

I too have higher ambitions and expectations however first we have to win the competitions we are in during the present season ie the 3rd Division title and the JPT Trophy - do that and we deserve to be playing against better opposition at a better standard.

Well Daren, you must get embarrassed every Saturday afternoon when we play our 3rd Division league games - I think it's acutely embarrassing playing against the likes of Scunthorpe, Chesterfield, Rochdale, Walsall, Colchester etc etc week in week out but that's where we are !
How can playing in a competition reserved for 3rd & 4th Division team be embarrassing to a team that plays in the 3rd division (and for a long time last season was in the bottom four)
We are where we are because we deserve to be !

I too have higher ambitions and expectations however first we have to win the competitions we are in during the present season ie the 3rd Division title and the JPT Trophy - do that and we deserve to be playing against better opposition at a better standard.

It is embarrasiing where we are, I agree. A team of United's resources should not be in this division. Years of mis management have seen us end up here.

However, the only way to change the situation is to beat the likes of Scunthorpe in league games and get promoted. Then we can maybe start to acheive something that for a club of SUFC's status would be a real acheivement (promotion to the PL, getting to an FA Cup or League Cup final for example).

I don't get his obssession with silverware when the silverware means nothing. If we won the JPT next season, would that to you be a greater acheivement than our FA Cup run last season. If we beat Scunthorpe at Wembley to lift the trophy would you be as proud as you were at the end of the semi against Hull even though we lost that?

The trophy is only a symbol. It's what it symbolises what is important.

Indeed, but the FA Cup is worth winning.

Answer me this, what would you rather

(a) finish 2nd next season, get knocked out of the JPT early doors and finish the following season mid table in the 2nd tier

(b) finish 8th next season and win the JPT

Option (a) we don't get a trophy, option (b) we do, but Is there any sane person who would go for (b)? If not, that shows the value of this particular trophy.

Ideally, finishing 1st in this piss poor division, if not 2nd and win the JPT - I personally do not think our involvement will harm our promotion chase but enhance it with the opportunity to give the squad players more time on the pitch in a competitive situation.

Hopefully the likes of Porter, McGinn, Doyle, Collins/ McGahey, Freeman/Adcock, George Willis, Cuvelier (when fit), Wallace (when fit) Campbell Rice/Flynn, McNulty/AN Other Striker etc etc will be wanting game time as they're not likely to be regulars with a starting line up of say Howard, Adcock/Freeman, Harris, Butler, Collins/McGahay, Basham, Scougall, Campbell Ryce/Flynn, Murphy,Baxter, An Other Super Striker yet to be purchased =- thats without the possibilty of Cody, Brayford and Ched !

It is embarrasiing where we are, I agree. A team of United's resources should not be in this division. Years of mis management have seen us end up here.

However, the only way to change the situation is to beat the likes of Scunthorpe in league games and get promoted. Then we can maybe start to acheive something that for a club of SUFC's status would be a real acheivement (promotion to the PL, getting to an FA Cup or League Cup final for example).

I don't get his obssession with silverware when the silverware means nothing. If we won the JPT next season, would that to you be a greater acheivement than our FA Cup run last season. If we beat Scunthorpe at Wembley to lift the trophy would you be as proud as you were at the end of the semi against Hull even though we lost that?

Totally agree, but my point is that realistically we are good enough to go all the way in the JPT competition so it would give our shadow squad competitive football to challenge for a first team spot - looking at the current squad we do have two X1's that could hold their own in this division - the JPT gives the second string an opportunity to prove themselves and perhaps lift the trophy as a bonus !

Totally agree, but my point is that realistically we are good enough to go all the way in the JPT competition so it would give our shadow squad competitive football to challenge for a first team spot - looking at the current squad we do have two X1's that could hold their own in this division - the JPT gives the second string an opportunity to prove themselves and perhaps lift the trophy as a bonus !

Which, in itself, would be all well and good. Don't the ridiculous rules around how many changes you can make between the last league game and the JPT game rule this out though?

Which, in itself, would be all well and good. Don't the ridiculous rules around how many changes you can make between the last league game and the JPT game rule this out though?
You can certainly rotate around half the squad I think plus three substitutes used early and you could use around eight players that had not played the previous league match

You can certainly rotate around half the squad I think plus three substitutes used early and you could use around eight players that had not played the previous league match

You have to play 6 of the 11 players who started the previous league game (or at least 6 must start the next league game) or you have to choose 6 of the 11 players with most starts to date.

However, given that the punishment for breaching this rule is a maximum fine of £5,000 and the one example I can find of a breach resulted in a £1,500 suspended fine for Bournemouth I think we'd do well to rotate fully.

Wednesday made three substitutions in the first 20 minutes back in 2010 but the danger there is that any injured players can't be replaced.

You have to play 6 of the 11 players who started the previous league game (or at least 6 must start the next league game) or you have to choose 6 of the 11 players with most starts to date.

However, given that the punishment for breaching this rule is a maximum fine of £5,000 and the one example I can find of a breach resulted in a £1,500 suspended fine for Bournemouth I think we'd do well to rotate fully.

Wednesday made three substitutions in the first 20 minutes back in 2010 but the danger there is that any injured players can't be replaced.

I can't see the point of a competition where there is such a lack of interest that clubs have to be compelled to play their first team.

The joy of celebrating a win at Wembley, the happy drive home for a change, the inability to win at Wembley off our back. Just because the football world doesn't consider a cup important doesn't alter what it would mean to me personally. Importance is in the eye of the beholder. The memory of the day and sharing it with my family and friends are more important that where it ranks in the football cup hierarchy.

Back
Top Bottom