The First Game you remember watching on TV?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That was mine too. Remember the goalscorer Roger Osborne going off injured and my mum said it was because all the Ipswich players jumped on him after he scored.
yes 1978 cup final for me as well. Also in '78 world cup. Scotland v Holland. GOOD PLAY BY GEMMILL AND AGAIN 3-1.....ended up going out after only beating the great Dutch side 3-2.

I remember West Ham seemed to have about 6 or 7 players with names beginning with the letter B. Now to many of us their club is full of B's !
Ken Brown
John Bond
Peter Brabrook
Ronnie Boyce
Johhny Byrne

That is all I can think of.. Jim Standen was the Keeper, Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Johnny Sissons (only 18, I think) were in the team. Who were the two others? Will look up later

Ken Brown
John Bond
Peter Brabrook
Ronnie Boyce
Johhny Byrne

That is all I can think of.. Jim Standen was the Keeper, Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Johnny Sissons (only 18, I think) were in the team. Who were the two others? Will look up later
The other two were Jack Burkett and Eddie Bovington. I know little about them anyway

Probably Funhouse

Fun_House_beats_Knightmare_to_be_named_best_ever_classic_CITV_show.jpg

First game I can remember watching on TV was the Spurs-Forest FA Cup final in 1991.

Fairly sure the first United game I saw on TV was our game at home to Leeds where Leeds won the title in 1992.

I think mine was Leeds V Chelsea fa cup final replay 1970 ,Gary Sprake had a mare ,then the World cup ,and we must have got a colour television from DER after that because I remember the Arsenal cup final win v Liverpool and Charlie George celebration in a yellow kit.

The sports shop post on Bramall Lane got me thinking again of the that time in my life.

The first game I saw on TV was the 1966 FA Cup final. Coming from a family of piggies, it was naturally on the TV that day. Even at 10 years of age, I just couldn't bring myself to support them.

2nd game was the same year - the world cup final. Two hero's - Mike Trebilcock and Geoff Hurst!

Anyway, what after 5-2 yesterday, we need something a little more light hearted to discuss.

UTB
United 3 Ipswich 1 Aug 31 1974.

Vaguely remember the 66 WCFs. Remember the Chelsea vs Leeds semi final as well.

Other memorable moments:

1971 FA Cup Final - George laying down
1972 LCF - "Osgood on the floor ... goal!"
1972 FA Cup Final - Clarke's header and Jonah dislocating his shoulder
1973 FACF - "Porterfield! One-nil!" and those brace of saves from Montgomery
1973 European Championship Quarter Finals at Wembley with England 1 - 3 West Germany. Being ripped a new arsehole by Muller, Beckenbaur et al and Banks pushing Nezters penalty against the upright and in
1974 WCF - W Germany vs Chile Paul Breitner's 35 yard thunderbolt and Cruyff's outrageous turn later on in the tournamnent

First Blades match on TV - Sunday Soccer (with Keith Macklin). SUFC vs Liverpool and Currie's 30 yarder

pommpey

England v West Germany at Italia 90. Very vague recollection, mainly of the penalty shootout.

Set me up for decades of disappointment.

I think mine was Leeds V Chelsea fa cup final replay 1970 ,Gary Sprake had a mare

Sprake had a mare in the first match that ended in a 2-2 draw. He got carried off in the 2nd leg of the European Cup semi final against Celtic at Hampden Park, David Harvey replaced him and Harvey kept his place for the FA Cup replay

Vague memories of the 1978 World Cup and my Dad, even though English, jumping out of his chair at that Archie Gemmil goal for Scotland.

Sprake had a mare in the first match that ended in a 2-2 draw. He got carried off in the 2nd leg of the European Cup semi final against Celtic at Hampden Park, David Harvey replaced him and Harvey kept his place for the FA Cup replay

Harvey looked like a chimp. Quality keeper though.

pommpey

I can vaguely remember seeing recorded highlights of the 1962 world cup on bbc at a neighbours and also seeing United away at Arsenal in the sixties (b/w) ( we got hammered). I think Mick Jones was in the side, Hodgy was definitely in goal.

The 1st for me was the 1961 Final between Spurs and Leicester. I was 7yrs old but we didn't have a telly so I walked to my grandads and watched it there. At the time of the 1966 final I was staying at the Derbyshire Schools camp on Anglesey. I watched the whole match stood outside a TV shop in Caernarvon in the pissing rain.

Wolves v Blackburn 1960 FA Cup Final. 3-0 to Wolves and a little winger named Norman Deeley made an impression on me.
Wolves became my second team for a few years after that, until they thumped us 3-0 in the cup in about 64-5. Didn't like Wolverhampton or their fans and we looked weird in red shorts that day (when most teams wore black or white).

66 World Cup final is the one that sticks out in my memory...can't remember iwatched the 66 FA cup final,but remember.. was it Everton v WBA the year after when we picked one team or the other to support for the day.Also remember watching the home nations tournament every year...glued to a clapped out black and white set.

The first televised game I can recall was an England international in the 50's that featured Alan Hodgkinson. I remember my uncle coming to our house to see the lad from our village (Thurcroft) play for England. I can't recall who England played but I think that we won.
Incidentally, that uncle is still a season ticket holder at the lane and travels from Scarborough to most matches

66 World Cup final is the one that sticks out in my memory...can't remember iwatched the 66 FA cup final,but remember.. was it Everton v WBA the year after when we picked one team or the other to support for the day.Also remember watching the home nations tournament every year...glued to a clapped out black and white set.
FA Cup final in 67 was Spurs v Chelsea, WBA v Everton was in 68

The first televised game I can recall was an England international in the 50's that featured Alan Hodgkinson. I remember my uncle coming to our house to see the lad from our village (Thurcroft) play for England. I can't recall who England played but I think that we won.
Incidentally, that uncle is still a season ticket holder at the lane and travels from Scarborough to most matches
Played v Scotland, Denmark and ROI (twice) in 1957, v Wales in 1960. Dont know which of these matches were on tv

Back
Top Bottom