The Bournemouth result; Not as bad as we thought?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FMBlade1

Reaction score
The smallest footnote from yesterday, but considering how they dominated and destroyed Manchester United in their own backyard, does that shed a different light on our loss to them?

Of course the performance was poor and it was it quite right that consequences followed, though considering yesterday I found it reassuring that we weren't the only team to struggle against them recently!

The smallest footnote from yesterday, but considering how they dominated and destroyed Manchester United in their own backyard, does that shed a different light on our loss to them?

Of course the performance was poor and it was it quite right that consequences followed, though considering yesterday I found it reassuring that we weren't the only team to struggle against them recently!
They’ve not lost in 5 following their 6-1 defeat to City. So they’ve turned a corner and got very good wins against Man U and Newcastle but perhaps the draw against Villa shows how well they’re doing now as Villa are clearly making their own statement of intent at the moment.

Performance wise against Bournemouth, we were awful, but on the same note we lost 0-2 to Liverpool and it was a much better performance. Had we put that performance in against Bournemouth it may well have been a closer game

It wasn't the result that was particularly bad. It was the performance and we could have had no complaints if we had lost by 6 or more on the day. Totally unacceptable by United on the day. I don't think Bournemouth broke sweat and it wasn't won by them, we gave it to them on a plate.

I know you could say this in retrospect after every match we lose, but Fulham are smashing teams everywhere at the Cottage so again our 3-1 loss doesn't appear so bad, and we were in it for much of the game.

I know you could say this in retrospect after every match we lose, but Fulham are smashing teams everywhere at the Cottage so again our 3-1 loss doesn't appear so bad, and we were in it for much of the game.
We were in that game at Craven Cottage only because Fulham's finishing was as bad as our all round play. We were awful.

But then Newcastle lost 4-1 to Spurs so you could argue that we’re much worse than we thought?!

In my opinion you can only look at your only team’s performances in games, what goes on outside of that gets back to the realms of the primary school playground…….

“We’re better than you cos you lost to so and so and we beat them”

It's a bit like saying we 'only' lost 3-1 to Fulham but Forest and West Ham have both lost 5-0 to them so does that mean we're better than both of them?

I think what it does mean is that apart from the three sides that came up, all the others appear to be capable of getting a result against any of the others, which is bad news for anyone who thinks we can still stay up.

So now, if Forest and Palace were to have a run of good results as they are quite capable of, it makes the task of staying up for the bottom three all the more harder.

A lot depends on the level of confidence and commitment. Against Man City, we went 1 down, but we didn’t collapse, and almost got a point. After thrashings from Newcastle and Arsenal, when the opposition scored heads tended to drop, few players wanted the ball, and the performances against Bournemouth and Burnley reflected that. Almost all the other PL clubs have better squads than ours, but with confidence, commitment, organisation, etc it is possible to compete. Comparing results is difficult- Newcastle beat us 8-0, Spurs beat Newcastle 4-1, but after 90 mins we were 1-0 up v Spurs.

The Bournemouth game could have quite easily been 5 or 6 nil so yes the result was far better but not in the positive way you are insinuating.

Back
Top Bottom