That was dog shit

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That's never been dog shit, absolutely the sort of win you get when you're going up, we'd have lost/ let in our customary late equaliser from a corner in any of the last few seasons.

Whoever said in an earlier post that we're solid & ground it out, not sure about that, but O'Connell is bloody quality in that league.

I'm usually an optimist, but I need to raise two key points;

- we didn't deserve the goal
- the red card was an absolute gift.

So why on earth didn't we go in for the kill? We had plenty of opportunities to get another goal, so why didn't we put them to the sword?

If I was Chris Wilder, I'd be fuming tonight. You can't see out the last 20 minutes of the game worried about conceding when yer 1-0 up against 10 men. That should have been put away after their lad walked.

Am I being too harsh? Did anyone else walk away from that game feeling like it wasn't a win?

dont hear many man utd fans complaining only just beating hull with a last minute goal
theyd argue class told in the end all day long

we arent barcelona or man city who are probably the only teams that win by more than 1 often

we showed on saturday playing with 10 men isnt always easy

How you can call it dog shit when we've just won the game of football I don't know.

The only complaints I have are in the first half Lafferty didn't look like a footballer, and for the full 90 Duffy was having an absolute shocker. Would've been an ideal chance to get Brooks or Whiteman on.
I don't know what formation we were playing either, it was 4 at the back but the rest was just mush.

But we were playing against a form side without 2 of our 'spine' over the recent unbeaten run and a new shape to boot. So it's understandable.

We are going to need to be better than that to go up but we're keeping up with the pace setters, lets just enjoy that.

I didn't think it was dog shit, I do think we can improve. I find it frustrating how many times we had Freeman, Coutts and Duffy playing triangles round their wingback and never actually going anywhere, no crosses, no getting to the byline. We kept the ball well at times and yet went absolutely no where. I think for me that was the frustration of last night.

It was just such a slow build up they had there defence set and with Sharp and Done upfront we were going to struggle to win much from crosses. I thought last night we really missed Clarke upfront.

Finally because this sounds like a proper whinge when I'm chuffed with 3 points Moore was fantastic in goal last night apart from his kicking, long punts up to Done and Sharp were a big feature and how many times did either get on the end of them? or for the matter anywhere near them. Can't knock Moore though he's a different class to what we've had since we got relegated.

I'll be upfront, these days, due to a lack of mobility, I can't get to games even though I'm chomping at the bit to join 19-20 thousand Blades at each home game. None of this dilutes my passion towards the team or my interest in the daily rumour mill.

We currently have a situation where expectations have risen, so much so that certain posters on this forum are already discussing the possibility of promotion this season. Wise heads would suggest the buttoning of lips, at least until we've 20 games behind us and the accumulation of enough points that will have put us amongst the top 4-5 teams in this division, but I suppose you can't blame supporters for seeing this short burst of success as an indicator of what's to come. Our latest manager seems to have assembled a group of players who have gone from early season naivety right through to a hard working bunch who at times have displayed the type of skill we all hope to see from red and white shirts. This team is definitely better than anything we've witnessed for several seasons, and even though last night may have raised questions about potential, we gained 3 vital points. A drop in form happens, in fact it happens to every team in the land. Why we should be different in this respect escapes me, but here we are, currently sitting 6th in a division we're desperate to escape from. And it's that desperation that feeds both hope and cynicism. Early days boys and girls, we're heading in the right direction that's for sure, and we seem to have a manager possessed of good old commonsense and a low tolerance for anyone incapable of doing as they're told. Which is exactly how it should be.

I'm not asking anyone to act like deluded mutts, we'll leave that to our brethren in the wilderness of S6. But the signs are there, things are different, we're improving, and at this stage, judged against the last few seasons, I'm happy to be where we are. UTB

I thought we played well, lack of real chances wasn't great but all in all it was good, they were a good side. But there was 2 or 3 times we were 4 on 3 on the counter and we didn't commit, but we won.

That's never been dog shit, absolutely the sort of win you get when you're going up, we'd have lost/ let in our customary late equaliser from a corner in any of the last few seasons.

Whoever said in an earlier post that we're solid & ground it out, not sure about that, but O'Connell is bloody quality in that league.

As I've said elsewhere Im worried that at this present rate what will happen to O'Connell and Moore in Jan/Summer.

My mate watches Cardiff a lot and was up here last night and said based on what he's seen and how Cardiff are doing, they'd have him back in a heartbeat!

For what it's worth here is my take on last nights game. It's only my opinion and I haven't been to BDTBL for some time:

- 1st 15 mins or so they controlled the game and were looking like they would score - I don't think this was down to us being poor, more a case of Rovers looking a very good attacking team.

- As the half drew on we began to get a foot hold in the game and they looked weak at the back, while still posing a threat up front

- Our cross were always put in low - as case of lack of height. this could be the direction as putting it in high would mean we lost possession. (the irony of this being we scored from the ball being crossed to the back post)

- 2nd half I thought we looked much more assured, but Rovers still seemed dangerous. (they are just a pretty good team - it will happen)

- Thought occasionally we tried toi play too many clever balls and lost possession as opposed to ball retention. Especially when we went one up.

- The passage of play for around 2 mins at about 88 mins I thought was excellent - yes we all wanted another goal, but we retained possession. If I was a pundit I might use the phrase "Game Management"

- All in all a fairly good performance against a good side who were certainly dangerous going forward, if a little weak at the back. I didn't realise until after they had been on a good run to rival ours.

- 3pts, a clean sheet, and the unbeaten run continues. Bring on the next game.

P.S Why is it every single announcement seems to be sponsored by somebody.

As I've said elsewhere Im worried that at this present rate what will happen to O'Connell and Moore in Jan/Summer.

My mate watches Cardiff a lot and was up here last night and said based on what he's seen and how Cardiff are doing, they'd have him back in a heartbeat!

O'Connell and Moore are signed players, the team's doing well, I'd imagine the players are happy, so why would they leave? Cardiff sold their keeper to us, so whatever they might feel like doing it's academic, he's our player, end of.

O'Connell and Moore are signed players, the team's doing well, I'd imagine the players are happy, so why would they leave? Cardiff sold their keeper to us, so whatever they might feel like doing it's academic, he's our player, end of.

I'm sure the lure the top end of the Championship and the money on offer would render any of our contracts irrelevant...

Defenders and goalkeepers have to play well for more than three months in L1 to attract serious interest from above.

There is no danger whatsoever of losing Moore or O'Connell in January, and very little danger of losing them at the end of the season. Especially Moore.

We don't have anyone to sell in January. We should only get stronger from then on, not weaker. That's a positive for our chances this season.

these begrudging mons at getting 3 points and keeping a clean sheet

Id imagine the writers of such posts are the type who moan like fuck if they won the euro lottery when its 120 million and they had to share it with 2 other winners
fucking hell only 40 bastard million thats dog shit

Again I must reiterate - 'dog shit' was a stupid term to use and I put my point across quite badly. I can only apologise.

The game wasn't dog shit, but I was personally disappointed that we didn't really seize the game after being handed a gift in a game against tricky, capable opposition. I felt we were quite sluggish and unimaginative on the ball a number of times over the course of the game (not all the time, but a number of times) and that we put ourselves under the cosh in the closing stages because we hadn't been more ruthless. That's all.

Anyway, that's enough about dog shit.

P.S - blade too long, I most certainly wouldn't moan about winning £40million!

Bristol Rovers were a big physical side and not without some ability going forward. They had good opportunities but weren't good enough to take them, Easter in particular. They didn't have a defender on the bench (but had 5 in the starting line-up) and dealt with anything we had going forwards relatively comfortably in the first half. We were lucky to go in level. Thank goodness for Moore. In the first 15 minutes or so they were by far the better side. We seemed to struggle with the 442 formation and didn't look like scoring against their 352. They switched to 442 and it cost them the game. Easter's sending off didn't seem to hurt them and we were hanging on at the end. Coutts can't defend to save his life, still owes us a goal, but tonight was the best I have seen him perform for us. Sadly a number of our players (Sharp, Duffy, Freeman) weren't at the races tonight, but and its a big but, we ground out a win. Best player on the pitch for me was one of theirs - Boateng.

If only Coutts could learn that to tackle, you are best trying to use your feet, rather than just running alongside an opponent, and then pushing him over, especially anywhere near the edge of our box.

It is frustrating at times winning by the odd goal
but 3 points , no matter how they are won dont get any better
brexit is brexit
3 points are 3 points
suffering another 25 1-0 wins wont worry me

I'm usually an optimist, but I need to raise two key points;

- we didn't deserve the goal
- the red card was an absolute gift.

So why on earth didn't we go in for the kill? We had plenty of opportunities to get another goal, so why didn't we put them to the sword?

If I was Chris Wilder, I'd be fuming tonight. You can't see out the last 20 minutes of the game worried about conceding when yer 1-0 up against 10 men. That should have been put away after their lad walked.

Am I being too harsh? Did anyone else walk away from that game feeling like it wasn't a win?

I agree we were poor and lucky. But they say that if you can play badly and win, that's the sign of a good team. It's a while since we've done it so I'll take it and move on in the hope that Wright is back for the weekend to allow us to revert to 352 which for me makes us look infinitely better.

You mean 4 months at Palace and 4 months at Qpr ?

Yes, together with Notts County [football existed before the "Premier" League] and, sadly, Sheffield United. Four, not six, I accept, but it remains a 100% record. He's since decided it wasn't his fault because....Him, he likes the Championship, him...

How many times have we played well and not won, I'd much rather win ugly every week, these are the kind of games we'd have lost last season, not every wins gonna be beautiful some are gonna be ugly, its about grinding out the wins. If we play shit and win every home game 1-0 I aint gonna complain

I agree we were poor and lucky. But they say that if you can play badly and win, that's the sign of a good team. It's a while since we've done it so I'll take it and move on in the hope that Wright is back for the weekend to allow us to revert to 352 which for me makes us look infinitely better.

At what point were we lucky? Please don't include opposition players missing chances or our keeper making saves. Such things depend upon ability [or lack thereof] and have absolutely nothing to do with luck. We were not 'poor' either, but that's a matter of opinion. The 'luck' thing is manifest bollocks.

At what point were we lucky? Please don't include opposition players missing chances or our keeper making saves. Such things depend upon ability [or lack thereof] and have absolutely nothing to do with luck. We were not 'poor' either, but that's a matter of opinion. The 'luck' thing is manifest bollocks.
Right enough, when OUR forwards miss chances it's because they're useless oxygen thieves.
When opponents miss chances, WE'RE lucky.
Never quite understood that :oops:

This discussion has been done to death and I know where you stand on the "luck" point. If every player was aiming for an exact point and was hitting it to score, then I would agree but in reality, there is an element of luck with every cross and header. Players aim for a general area, other players make runs. Normally you will need to attempt it lots of times for a player to lose his man and connect with the cross at just the right height etc. We were lucky in the sense that we put less of those balls in than you would expect to have to in order to get an unmarked header on goal. They put more of those balls in and there were plenty of ricochets around our 6 yard box that on another day could have dropped for an empty net for them. Not every movement of the ball in football is intentional. Ricochets can be kind or otherwise and we got our fair share of fortune. I thought we were poor in the sense that we didn't look as energetic as we have in some games, we miscontrolled the ball poorly on several occasions, we misplaced many passes and struggled to cope with their passing and movement at times. But as you say, our keeper made saves and we made blocks etc. to grind out the result so we take it and move on and hope to have more control and impose ourselves more, creating more in future games because if we don't, we won't consistently win those sort of games.

Could you expand on what you think was Pyhrric about it? No broken legs, no red cards.....

He misunderstands the nature of a "Pyhrric victory". In fairness the vast majority of people who have even heard of the concept, including some quite intelligent people, make the same error. I thought of mentioning it myself, but I had to give priority to a barrel of fish that needed shooting.

did anyone notice

Leicester City won the premier league last season

FROM FEB 2TH THEY PLAYED 6 GAMES WON 5 1-0

How disappointing must it have been to watch that
looked up the games , they had the least possession in all of them

gutting to sit through eh

Back
Top Bottom