Thank you Leon Clarke

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Balham Blade

S24SU Seer
Reaction score
The writing was probably on the wall when he went to Wigan in January but now he's been transfer listed his time at the Blades is almost certainly up. For someone who wasn't universally accepted, thanks for the memories Leon:
  • That run of 6 goals in 5 games as we finally sealed promotion from League One including the equaliser at Northampton and the opener at Port Vale
  • THAT brace at Hillsborough
  • Four goals against Hull
  • The winner at Brentford, the opener against Stoke and the clincher against Derby. Only three goals for the Blades this season but all vital in their own way
  • Last but not least: the assist against Leeds in the game which probably broke them
Good luck Agent Leon. You're on the right side now.

The writing was probably on the wall when he went to Wigan in January but now he's been transfer listed his time at the Blades is almost certainly up. For someone who wasn't universally accepted, thanks for the memories Leon:
  • That run of 6 goals in 5 games as we finally sealed promotion from League One including the equaliser at Northampton and the opener at Port Vale
  • THAT brace at Hillsborough
  • Four goals against Hull
  • The winner at Brentford, the opener against Stoke and the clincher against Derby. Only three goals for the Blades this season but all vital in their own way
  • Last but not least: the assist against Leeds in the game which probably broke them
Good luck Agent Leon. You're on the right side now.
Dont forget that goal away at Chesterfield

I'll never forget being there for his 4 against Hull, possibly the most complete performance I have ever seen from a centre forward at a game in my life, he was unplayable.

Thanks Leon, legend.
Three nights later, a hat trick v Fulham. One of his goals was incredible as he rifled in from tight angle.

One of the best finishers we have had in many years, he rarely did tap ins. Two footed and all round very proficient as a player.

The first goal against Bradford at the Lane was another one, JOC and Duff combining beautifully and Leon hitting it first time, passing it in from 12 yards inch perfect into the corner.

Another moment was the first against Leeds at Bellend Road. Sharp was the scorer but Leon's role in the build up was amazing. He did this little donkey flick of the ball into Duff's path for the cross; one of the most delicate and deftest of touches I have ever seen. Sublime.

Hope he lands a champ club near to home. Brum maybe?

One of the best finishers we have had in many years, he rarely did tap ins. Two footed and all round very proficient as a player.

Not sure about that, think as a pure finisher Leon was quite poor. He rarely scored tap ins because he tended to miss them. He was an enigma with his form up and down all within the same game.

He’d play like a donkey, miss 2 or 3 sitters, then produce a moment of class showing great vision with an assist.
He’d miss another sitter, then bring it down with superb control then score a class goal that wasn’t even a half chance.

He was often accused of being lazy at other clubs but when he played for us, he was an excellent target man with good intelligent link play, he also worked really hard, pressing and chasing down the defenders. Really pleased that he’s delivered some of his high potential with us and ended the late stages of his career on a high.

The first goal against Bradford at the Lane was another one, JOC and Duff combining beautifully and Leon hitting it first time, passing it in from 12 yards inch perfect into the corner.

Another moment was the first against Leeds at Bellend Road. Sharp was the scorer but Leon's role in the build up was amazing. He did this little donkey flick of the ball into Duff's path for the cross; one of the most delicate and deftest of touches I have ever seen. Sublime.

Hope he lands a champ club near to home. Brum maybe?
Sublime performance v Bradford, my favourite game of his that season
"That's why we're champions, that's why we're champions "

Not sure about that, think as a pure finisher Leon was quite poor. He rarely scored tap ins because he tended to miss them. He was an enigma with his form up and down all within the same game.

He’d play like a donkey, miss 2 or 3 sitters, then produce a moment of class showing great vision with an assist.
He’d miss another sitter, then bring it down with superb control then score a class goal that wasn’t even a half chance.

He was often accused of being lazy at other clubs but when he played for us, he was an excellent target man with good intelligent link play, he also worked really hard, pressing and chasing down the defenders. Really pleased that he’s delivered some of his high potential with us and ended the late stages of his career on a high.

Maybe finisher is the wrong term, but in terms of shots from 10 - 15 yards out he was normally very accurate. Any less than that and Billy has been our man.

Maybe finisher is the wrong term, but in terms of shots from 10 - 15 yards out he was normally very accurate. Any less than that and Billy has been our man.

Agree mate....Leon used to make me laugh.
He’d generally miss the easy chance but score the difficult chance.

He's had more clubs than Gary Player but surely he's got to be most fondly remembered at the Lane?

By a stretch. If, as a younger man, he’d played football like he played for us, then he’d have been Premier League for some of his career. That golden spell was the best number 9 play I’d seen since Deano.

Sad to see him go. Wasn't a massively popular signing as I remember, but he's repaid us by the lorryload since he's been here. Thanks Leon, for the brace at the sty that made them realise that we were back, and back beyond their worst nightmares if nothing else.

Edit: Sure somewhere on one of Roy's "view from's" there's a sarcastic pre-24/9/17 quote from a pig about how much they weren't scared of Leon Clarke and John Fleck. How silly that snort beast would feel now, if it wasn't against NKT propaganda to admit that you fucked up.

Cheers Leon.

GLTTL.

All players under contract will have had a pay rise after getting promotion. I imagine it’s going to be very hard to move these players on unless we pay them off or loan them out. Good luck though Leon, you deserve the pay rise.

Has Leon gone to Vegas?

I do suspect that Leon would not have produced his amazing form for any other manager than Chris Wilder.

LEON LEON LEON.
None of us Blades thought anything of you before you came other than you were a journey man footballer. You proved us all wrong and gave us some great memories. Away at Hillsborough will be most Blades stand out and culmination of what you started in League one but for me it was the game after against champions elect Wolves. In that game you were simply unplayable.
I hope you hold us fond in your memories of your career too .
You are the best footballer amongst the released or transfer listed players.
Good Luck Sir.

Autumn 2017 was the high point of his career I'd say.

The performance at Leeds was unbelievable in terms of quality and effort - MOM
A brace in the Sheffield Derby, when his first touch was booed must have been very satisfying
He also dismantled Wolves at the lane, getting the captain sent off before scoring two good goals
Then he hit 4 versus Hull

I've seen him post congratulations on Instagram but it's a shame he couldn't have made Tuesday as I'm sure many fans would have wanted to wish him well

Dont forget that goal away at Chesterfield

Good call. 13/11/2016, 0-1 down (Nolan, 2 mins.) at half-time and - if Ched's shot hadn't hit the bar just on HT - the result could have been very different. Freeman equalised on 54 minutes, Leon came on 68 minutes (still 1-1) and we were 3-1 up within 5 minutes. Leon scored our fourth on 81 minutes.

This was just CW's 16th game in charge in the league (we'd been knocked out of the EFL (League) Cup on August 9th at home to...Crewe).

We really weren't very good at the time and these little things can change history.

Leon, you always had a goal in you and I always fancied you to bag one.

Deserved to be part of the promotion celebrations.

Thank you immensely, UTB!

Back
Top Bottom