Ten years ago today - the Yeovil failure

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
One of our low points ten years ago today. On a boiling hot day, Blades fans watched on as we were outclassed by Yeovil to lose 2-0 on the day and 2-1 on aggregate to Yeovil. We were a league below Yeovil the following season; next season we are in the top flight and they are in the sixth tier.

One of our low points ten years ago today. On a boiling hot day, Blades fans watched on as we were outclassed by Yeovil to lose 2-0 on the day and 2-1 on aggregate to Yeovil. We were a league below Yeovil the following season; next season we are in the top flight and they are in the sixth tier.

Saw a picture of me on the terrace pop up in my phone memories this morning.

Wasn't this the game where there were rumours Dave Kitson had refused to play and it had caused unrest? The last league game a couple of weeks earlier at Portsmouth was worse mind. We were outclassed by Johnny Ertl!

I seem to think McFadzean played at Yeovil and all he did was run sideways across the pitch when he got the ball because his full back for him. By about half an hour in it had become funny rather than annoying how toothless we were.

Outclassed by Yeovil. Let that sink in. Mind you we did have some tope class results around that time. Didn't we also lose to Crewe 3 nil and the mighty Stevenage 4-0? Desperate times to be a Blade. Let's not ever go that deep in the shit again please.

The geezer who scored a hattrick against us for Stevenage (Dani Lopez) never scored another goal in English league football before or after those three against us. He scored a few in non-league for Barnet but that was undoubtedly the highlight of his career in England. At that time it felt like we were a gift for players like that!

Saw a picture of me on the terrace pop up in my phone memories this morning.

Wasn't this the game where there were rumours Dave Kitson had refused to play and it had caused unrest? The last league game a couple of weeks earlier at Portsmouth was worse mind. We were outclassed by Johnny Ertl!

I seem to think McFadzean played at Yeovil and all he did was run sideways across the pitch when he got the ball because his full back for him. By about half an hour in it had become funny rather than annoying how toothless we were.
I haven't heard that story about Kitson before.

Not that I was thinking about it at the time, but I doubt I would have imagined that 10 years later we’d be about to spend our 3rd season in the Prem in two separate spells. Our usual gap between visits has been about 12 seasons.

Didn’t even watch it. Knew exactly what would happen. At least we didn’t go up or didn’t go up during Adkins reign.

Sadly Yeovil Town's future is now very uncertain.

Outclassed by Yeovil. Let that sink in. Mind you we did have some tope class results around that time. Didn't we also lose to Crewe 3 nil and the mighty Stevenage 4-0? Desperate times to be a Blade. Let's not ever go that deep in the shit again please.
I went to that Crewe game away. It was one of the limpest, weakest, tamest efforts I think I've ever seen.

We did lose to stevenage as well. Pigs lost 5-1 to em as well so they did have a couple of decent results.

And I fully blame one individual for that period in our history.

Probably the lowest point following the Blades for me. Sacking Wilson to give it to Morgan was an unbelievably shit decision, at least get a proven manager in if you’re going to sack Wilson.
Tell ya, one man to blame.

Probably the lowest point following the Blades for me. Sacking Wilson to give it to Morgan was an unbelievably shit decision, at least get a proven manager in if you’re going to sack Wilson.

I reckon McCabe genuinely believed the "new manager bounce" would get us over the line as it had worked for Wednesday the year before.

Narrator: It didn't.

Jeez that brings back bad memories, not quite as bad as Walsall in 1981 but not far behind, it seemed to take forever to get to Yeovil that day and I was only travelling from Gloucestershire and even longer getting home afterward with the M5 gridlocked by bank holiday traffic. That day was a real low point as a Blade and then it got even worse over the next couple of seasons. But those bad days have made the incredible success we’ve had since 2016 even sweeter, certainly never a dull moment being a blade.

I reckon McCabe genuinely believed the "new manager bounce" would get us over the line as it had worked for Wednesday the year before.

Narrator: It didn't.
Think a bigger factor was he was due at a fans forum on the Friday after the Crawley debacle at which the atmosphere was category c toxicity.

Not even a winning smile, some bladey bladey and a free pint for everyone would have saved him that night.

What was the Team that day? Long, Collins, Murphy.........

I’d forgot about how shit this day was. Thanks for the reminder. 😂

that was pretty dreadful game was it a bank holiday as i have vague memory that it lunchtime kick off but it wasnt on a weekend, but i think most of us saw it coming we had scraped a 1-0 win in half empty bramall lane,

but in hindsight looking at that team it is almost criminal how much we underachieved that season, you could say that purely on paper that 11 v yeovil was better than 13/14 team that made the semi final, as you had george long, Maguire, Collins ,Doyle, Mcdonald, Flynn, Murphy, Mcfadzean (was a decent prospect at the time)

One thing we really lacked was a decent goalkeeper during our league 1 spell, I remember everytime a ball was crossed in I was looking through fingers.

Long

Westlake
Maguire
Collins
Hill

Murphy
McDonald
Doyle
McFadzean

Ironside
Porter

Yeovil's line up contained Dan Burn and Luke Ayling.
Ironside and Porter. Wow. That's the front line. Darryl Westlake and Matt Hill. Oh. My. God.

Thank fuck McCabe has gone. Thats what he gave the manager to work with. Like chopping off a brickies thumbs.

I always enjoyed the games at Yeovil, (apart from the actual football on show, and standing on that open air terrace,) because we made a weekend of it and stayed in Exeter, visiting some good old boozers.

Terrible (and long) drive there and back, of course.

Back
Top Bottom