team line up for the play offs

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

On the Scougs and Holt point, there's a decent argument for including either player in the team. The thing is, with the players we currently have, one probably has to be sacrificed in order to pick what should be a strong team. As has been said above, Holt's claim for a starting place is not only strong, it's merited on the basis of his eye for a goal. The last thing I want to see is a proven scorer sitting on the bench when we've got about 20 minutes left and it's 1-1.

Holt has to be measured on his effectiveness in and around the box. He's done enough to show he's worth signing and playing all the while he's contributing as he's done until now. The guy began his time at the Blades slowly, but it hasn't taken long for Holt to show why Clough has given him a chance.

An in-form Scougall is a quality player, so it says something for the team Clough is building that this discussion is being held at all. With Scougall, McNulty, and Adams, plus whoever else makes up the substitutes, we'll have a strong bench, something that in recent years we've lacked.

Last edited:

Howard

Brayford Kennedy Collins Harris

Flynn Bahsam Doyle Murphy

Done Davies

or

Howard

Brayford Kennedy Collins Harris

Basham

Flynn Reed Holt Murphy

Davies[

Would like to get Collins back from Vale Park, last few games he has b

Some things do baffle me sometimes and this is one of them. How can anyone be looking for faults from a player in Holt who has scored more than our entire midfield put together in our last 8 games, infact he's scored more than a third of our goals in this time. Not only does he score, he gets into some very good positions that never gets spotted or we're to slow to get the ball to him in these positions.

We have had a problem with scoring goals from midfield all season, we finally get a goalscorer and we still try and find faults, unbefuckinglievable.

When people suggest another player in his position they do it because they think it will give the team a bit better balance, making the team as a unit stronger and more likely to succeed in the play offs. For me, higher tempo, more energy and winning the midfield battle is key.

Holt, like Adams, has shown some composure and good shooting technique that may prove valuable if he comes on as a sub.

When people suggest another player in his position they do it because they think it will give the team a bit better balance, making the team as a unit stronger and more likely to succeed in the play offs. For me, higher tempo, more energy and winning the midfield battle is key.

Holt, like Adams, has shown some composure and good shooting technique that may prove valuable if he comes on as a sub.
Are you saying Holt doesn't do any pressuring or play with a high enough tempo to start Bergs?

Are you saying Holt doesn't do any pressuring or play with a high enough tempo to start Bergs?

I wouldn't have him in. He does come alive in and around the box, however our midfield allows no passengers in other areas IMO

Very interesting - most would play Coutts over Doyle!? Don't think you can play them both - Be good to play Basham in midfield but I think he will need to play centre back. I would also play Collins if he is fit! - play Bryford down the right with Flynn if he's fit?

Depends on who is fit and who is up for it :/ also if NC is going to set um up like he has all season to play for a 1-0 win

This would be an attacking team:

G Howard
RB Brayford
Bash
Kennedy (Collins)
LB Harris

RM - Flynn
DM - Doyle
Holt (only for his recent goals tally)
Baxter or take a chance on Scougall or maybe try Done just behind Davis (it's been tried befor but it didn't seem to work?)

LM - Murphy
CF - Davis

Done, Adams, Freeman, Reed

Who knows NC is thinking after a season of changes, he has so many players and options, he could keep Bryford in the middle and play Freeman? It's impossible to second guess NC except to say Coutts will definitely play (nailed on)

This again. Ignoring what Holt is actually doing in favour of what Scougall did last season but hasn't done this season.

I do not see us winning a playoff game with a Basham-Scougall-Coutts midfield. I like Basham there (and let's face it, Clough is going to play Coutts) but Scougall is still not creating anything (yet alone scoring) and is still being bullied off the ball by bigger opponents.

We are finally going into a playoff campaign with some players in decent goalscoring form. Holt is one of them. He should play.

And your stats are cherry picking. Holt has scored important goals - he won us 2 points in the games you mention and also scored the opener against Colchester and a vital second at Barnsley. Scougall last scored in November. Plus (for what it's worth) our record when he starts is still poor when compared to other central midfielders.

It is quite possible that we'll do fine with Holt starting. I acknowledge that we'd lose some composure in finishing situations if he's left out.

My personal preference being Scougall is based on him covering more ground, being more aggressive, more direct and carrying the ball forward better, and the impact these attributes will have on the team and general pattern of play in the Play Off games.

It is quite possible that we'll do fine with Holt starting. I acknowledge that we'd lose some composure in finishing situations if he's left out.

My personal preference being Scougall is based on him covering more ground, being more aggressive, more direct and carrying the ball forward better, and the impact these attributes will have on the team and general pattern of play in the Play Off games.
Fair enough mate, we all have our opinions and yours is just as valid as mine. All I'll say is, and like Rev has already said, we finally have players in goalscoring form going into the playoffs, after what's happened in our previous playoff failures why wouldn't we play them. I am not saying Holt is a world beater but his scoring record for us speaks for itself.

Fair enough mate, we all have our opinions and yours is just as valid as mine. All I'll say is, and like Rev has already said, we finally have players in goalscoring form going into the playoffs, after what's happened in our previous playoff failures why wouldn't we play them. I am not saying Holt is a world beater but his scoring record for us speaks for itself.

I think there's very good potential of good attacking play and goals from the front trio of Done, S.Davies and Murphy, but we have to get our midfield right. Done has 1 goal in his last 7 matches. Davies has 2 in 12. Murphy has 2 in 14. We've seen what they can do, but something's not quite right. In my opinion our last few midfield selections haven't been strong enough. A few tweaks could make us get more out of those three, creating more space for them, putting them in situations where they can be more effective.

I think there's very good potential of good attacking play and goals from the front trio of Done, S.Davies and Murphy, but we have to get our midfield right. Done has 1 goal in his last 7 matches. Davies has 2 in 12. Murphy has 2 in 14. We've seen what they can do, but something's not quite right. In my opinion our last few midfield selections haven't been strong enough. A few tweaks could make us get more out of those three, creating more space for them, putting them in situations where they can be more effective.
Clough has rested Done and now he's injured, Murphy looks knacked after carrying the team most of the season and Davies isn't an out and out goal scorer although I do like him, I think these things could also have something to do with the lack of goals from them recently. I don't think we have had the midfield balance right almost all season, barring Bristol City and Barnsley, which coincidently Holt played in both and scored in both and we also won both comfortably.

Not too fussed about other positions as these are more or less nailed on in view of Clough's preferences dependent on who is fit. I would however LOVE to see :-

Flynn as RM
Murphy as LM
Done as CF
McNulty (Yes McNulty) as CF.

In the play offs we WILL need goals. Them two up top give us the best chance. IMHO. Davies has done OK and this is a tad harsh as he is best target man we have had for many a year. Would use as impact sub later on in game as required. NC will not agree with me anyway as Davies is a stick on !!!

Pin em back.

Attack Attack Attack.

UTB

Im amazed some people are leaving young Freeman out? He's been our best player since he re-signed, I sometimes feel he's wasted at the back.

Howard
Harris Tel Bray Freeman
Murphy Bash Coutts Holt Flynn/Done
Davies

Im amazed some people are leaving young Freeman out? He's been our best player since he re-signed, I sometimes feel he's wasted at the back.

Howard
Harris Tel Bray Freeman
Murphy Bash Coutts Holt Flynn/Done
Davies

I said the same about Freeman on page 2, he should be in midfield somewhere.

On the Scougs and Holt point, there's a decent argument for including either player in the team. The thing is, with the players we currently have, one probably has to be sacrificed in order to pick what should be a strong team. As has been said above, Holt's claim for a starting place is not only strong, it's merited on the basis of his eye for a goal. The last thing I want to see is a proven scorer sitting on the bench when we've got about 20 minutes left and it's 1-1.

Holt has to be measured on his effectiveness in and around the box. He's done enough to show he's worth signing and playing all the while he's contributing as he's done until now. The guy began his time at the Blades slowly, but it hasn't taken long for Holt to show why Clough has given him a chance.

An in-form Scougall is a quality player, so it says something for the team Clough is building that this discussion is being held at all. With Scougall, McNulty, and Adams, plus whoever else makes up the substitutes, we'll have a strong bench, something that in recent years we've lacked.

Absolutely agree with all of that.

I would say that Scougall, with his energy and running, along with Che and Flynny, if he is fit, would make fabulous impact players at this point. Of course, depending upon how the particular game is going.

Back
Top Bottom