Team for West Ham??

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Trusty wasn't good enough for arsenal, he barely played a game for them and they sold him

Did you actually watch Tom Davies when he came on!!? He looks miles away from starting, he got a couple of assists for Newcastle in the few minutes he was on and was letting players stroll by him, it would have been 12 nil if he'd played 90 mins
9 of the players on the pitch looked miles away from starting, and I didn't watch Davies yesterday no, I left, it was the worst performance I've seen following United, I wouldn't mind if we had lost 10 nil but actually tried, but to just roll over, heads down, given up, it was disgusting, the players should be ashamed of themselves, night and day from Spurs last week, we lost but God they put a shift in, and I was there until they'd finished their lap and gone back to the tunnel.
All we can hope, is theyve had a kick up the arse, and they respond, not for themselves, but for the fans! I think its the least they can do.

Think we are all thinking about how we could change it a bit for West Ham.

There are a few options but it's quite limited because in reality we don't have much in way of depth.

Even when we have some more bodies back it's not like any are likely to massively improve us. (McBurnie and Baldock I'm not including in this)

I suspect McBurnie will come in and Baldock if he is fit. Norwood probably dropping out.

Egan somehow needs a full reset. He's been an absolute rock over the past few years (albeit in championship), but he looks lost in everything he does this season! He's often out of position, doesn't pick up his marker, doesn't win any defensive headers, and it's a complete waste of time him going up for attacking corners since if he gets his head to the ball it flies into row z of kop! :(
Add to that his lack of leadership.Not a single rallying cry from him.
Not captain material for me and not convinced some of his fellow defenders think so.
He looks panicked regularly and it infects others.

Plenty of contracts are up after this season so let's focus on the future rather than the deadwood.

Accept we're going down and blood some academy players. Invaluable experience playing in the Prem, hopefully a couple will show real promise.

Strange how we all see games different, I and everyone around me thought Souza was our best player and Tom Davies played well when he cam on, but each to our own.
One thing for me is only drop Egan and Norwood, Basham is no longer a viable option, neither is Norwood, from the bench Slimani and Davies must be first choice midfielder substitutes.
wow - just wow

(im talking re Souza & Davies)

Like you say - people see things differently - to say the least

A lot picking Basham. If he’s the answer to the defensive issues then we really are screwed.

Love Bash, loyal servant. However he is not the answer to plug an already poor PL defence.
yup - all of this

Hecky has his favourites but after Sunday things can’t stay the same. If he continues to ignore Trusty after that defensive performance then what was the point of signing him ? I also think he’ll pick Norwood again, which is totally a waste of a shirt. Norwood is fine at championship level but totally spent in the PL.

UTB !

Thing is who have we got who can come in, instead of the team that played Newcastle? Apart from McB and Baldock the depth in our squad is really worrying, it really does feel like that covid relegation team where we had such a disjointed squad it wouldn’t matter who played where. I’d much prefer the squad that played in the championship than the squad we have now. I’d have preferred to have academy lads in Arblaster, Boyes, Marsh, Neal, Brooks than Larouci, Traore, Davies (not seen enough of Slimane so far) and spent those 3 transfer/loan money and wages on 1 decent player

Rightly or wrongly at the moment I'd say out best team is:

Wes
Anel Egan* Robinson*
Baldock Hamer Souza McAtee Thomas
McBurnie
Archer

*Not saying it is good enough, but those dropping in Trusty are taking a leap on someone you've hardly seen play before and not seen play in Blades colours or system.

As ever the issue is injuries. You put Norrington-Davies in there and you have genuine competition. Up front we are crying out for Brewster to offer a viable alternative option that doesn't look undercooked.

Old school 5-4-1 to try and deal with the set piece/crossing issues

----------------Wes-------------------

Baldock Egan Anel Trusty Robbo
--------------Souza------------------
-------Hamer----- Davies* -----------
--------------McAtee --------------

-------------McBurnie----------------

Defence first, build from a strong base. Don't care if Robbo doesn't get forward, allow Baldock to do it down the right and JLT can tuck in to keep a back 4 if Baldock does get up the pitch.

*Slimane if Davies isn't fit.
You said try to deal with the set piece/crossing issues then put Egan in your side?

He’s horrific

We need to address the number of HEADED GOALS from CROSSES

We will be parking the bus at west spam so how about a back four? [ I presume Trusty can head a ball]
Wes
Baldock- Egan/Ahmedhodzic -Trusty -Thomas/Robbo
Souza-
McAtee/ -------Hamer----- Larouci

-Archer---McBurnie-

I dont think Davies is fit, if not fit very unimpressed

I know this will be strongly disliked by others but Larouci has pace is athletic and has a decent cross and his inclusion would surprise West ham game plan

We need to address the number of HEADED GOALS from CROSSES

We will be parking the bus at west spam so how about a back four? [ I presume Trusty can head a ball]
Wes
Baldock- Egan/Ahmedhodzic -Trusty -Thomas/Robbo
Souza-
McAtee/ -------Hamer----- Larouci

-Archer---McBurnie-

I dont think Davies is fit, if not fit very unimpressed

I know this will be strongly disliked by others but Larouci has pace is athletic and has a decent cross and his inclusion would surprise West ham game plan
Wes
Trusty-Ahmedhodzic- Robbo -
Baldock Hamer Souza Mcatee Thomas
Archer Mcburnie

isnt Trusty a left footer?
does it matter - i think players only make around 3 tackles per game now anyway- if that...- most of defending is blocking or positional, i am sure be can block a cross with right foot if need be?
and left foot better for when they cut inside and get a shot away - like one of newcastles later goals- cut inside from left and right foot into corner

Wes
Baldock Trusty Anel/Egan Robbo Thomas
Souza Slimane Hamer
Mcburnie Archer

Anel or Egan is a toss of a coin as they’ve both been dogshit all season. Bogle has fallen off a cliff since hes been struggling with injuries. Slimane over Norwood as at least he’ll run around a bit and offers a threat from set pieces.

A lot picking Basham. If he’s the answer to the defensive issues then we really are screwed.

Love Bash, loyal servant. However he is not the answer to plug an already poor PL defence.

Agree in principal.....but a back 3 of Bash Anel & Robinson against Spuds looked far better than Anel Egan & Robinson v Toon...it's Egan who needs to be dropped for me out of the two.

v West Ham

Wes

Baldock if fit, if not Bogle
Bash
Anel
Robinson
Thomas

Souza
Hamer/McAtee
Slimane

McB
Archer

We need a bit of steel in midfield, Norwood is done, and whichever plays of Hamer McAtee needs to play the creative "Illiman" type role....so probably McAtee out of the two.

Time to drop Egan and Norwood. Like Fleck and Stevens, they're shadows of their former selves, error prone, have no influence over matches other than mistakes and they're busted flushes. I don't care what they've done in the past, I'm judging them on what they're doing now.

Arguably you could swap out Archer for McBurnie. The only reason I'm not dropping Anel, who also needs dropping, is because he's looked better without Egan.

The back three doesn't work anymore as it doesn't have the protection it needs and teams are exploiting the widths and gaps in midfield. With the fullbacks staying in a more defensive role it tightens the gaps at the back up and stops players exploiting the gaps where they're bust forward.

Hamer can operate as a box to box midfielder. Bogle has always been better going forward than back and is naturally right sided offering balance to that side of the pitch and a threat going forward.

lineup11-tactic (2).png

Time to drop Egan and Norwood. Like Fleck and Stevens, they're shadows of their former selves, error prone, have no influence over matches other than mistakes and they're busted flushes. I don't care what they've done in the past, I'm judging them on what they're doing now.

Arguably you could swap out Archer for McBurnie. The only reason I'm not dropping Anel, who also needs dropping, is because he's looked better without Egan.

The back three doesn't work anymore as it doesn't have the protection it needs and teams are exploiting the widths and gaps in midfield. With the fullbacks staying in a more defensive role it tightens the gaps at the back up and stops players exploiting the gaps where they're bust forward.

Hamer can operate as a box to box midfielder. Bogle has always been better going forward than back and is naturally right sided offering balance to that side of the pitch and a threat going forward.

View attachment 171915
I like that and it's what I'd like to see but I would swap Robbo for Trusty. I'm not and never have been a fan of Robbo.

Rightly or wrongly at the moment I'd say out best team is:

Wes
Anel Egan* Robinson*
Baldock Hamer Souza McAtee Thomas
McBurnie
Archer

*Not saying it is good enough, but those dropping in Trusty are taking a leap on someone you've hardly seen play before and not seen play in Blades colours or system.

As ever the issue is injuries. You put Norrington-Davies in there and you have genuine competition. Up front we are crying out for Brewster to offer a viable alternative option that doesn't look undercooked.
Agree on this - maybe move Anel into the middle, and try Trusty on the right (left footer I know)

Robinson has been left of out many peoples sides in this thread, but he has been our best defender so far this season - or least worse if you want

Bash was a bit player in the Championship last season, we cant be starting him barring a crisis

The worrying thing is the injury list - However, of those, who actually strengthens the 1st team?

Lowe, Osborn, Fleck, Brewster, RND, Osula, Jebbo

IMO theres only RND who 'could' strengthen, and thats without seeing a true reflection of Thomas, and seeing how RND comes back after a very long lay off

That said, team talk should be easy Saturday, Monday mornings back pages on the dressing room wall, make them read the words written about them in the national press, and ask them to restore pride to the shirt, the fans and themselves

I like that and it's what I'd like to see but I would swap Robbo for Trusty. I'm not and never have been a fan of Robbo.
I appreciate everyone sees players differently, and each to their own and all that

But, who has been our best defender this season - Bash, Egan, Anel or Robbo?

Hes got 1 assist from a throw in, which is a set piece to us
That tackle was about the only highlight from Sunday, one a game goes in like that and it gets everyone going

Trusty has 14 mins EPL experience to his name, yet some want to throw him into an away match at the Europa Conf holders, with Soucek, Antonio, Zouma & Ogbonna all in the box knowing were concede goals?

4-2-2-2

Wes

Baldock. Anel. Trusty Thomas

Souza. Norwood/Davies

Hamer. Mcatee

Mcburnie. Archer

Forget width we don't have the personal anymore

I appreciate everyone sees players differently, and each to their own and all that

But, who has been our best defender this season - Bash, Egan, Anel or Robbo?

Hes got 1 assist from a throw in, which is a set piece to us
That tackle was about the only highlight from Sunday, one a game goes in like that and it gets everyone going

Trusty has 14 mins EPL experience to his name, yet some want to throw him into an away match at the Europa Conf holders, with Soucek, Antonio, Zouma & Ogbonna all in the box knowing were concede goals?
Everybody does see things differently your right. I see people banging on about Robbo being our best defender so far but without actually coming up with anything to prove it. Forest both goals came from a cross from the left hand side, Palace left hand side Everton left hand side granted the wing back also has a job to do but Robbo should be covering the left back as well. We've been poor defensively on crosses in general so to pin it to one defender is unfair when we have 3cbs who should be dealing with them as a unit, if we can't trust Trusy then when do we?

I think Sunday showed you cant play Souza and Norwood together - like having 2 statues in midfield! Not a popular opinion but Norwood stlll offers more than Souza - in fact im not exactly sure wthat Souza actualy does - would love to see some stats on tackles and passes for them both.

Maybe its the unseen work he gets through......now where have I heard that before?

I think Sunday showed you cant play Souza and Norwood together - like having 2 statues in midfield! Not a popular opinion but Norwood stlll offers more than Souza - in fact im not exactly sure wthat Souza actualy does - would love to see some stats on tackles and passes for them both.

Maybe its the unseen work he gets through......now where have I heard that before?

Stats taken from fbref (source, I think, Opta)

1695822279664.png

Souza passes less but more accurately; tackles more but doesn't gain possession as much*; is less likely to get dribbled past; blocks and intercepts more; and while they carry the ball almost identical distances, Souza is more likely to be vertical compared to Norwood going horizontally.

*position may play a part: if Souza is playing wider and Norwood more centrally there's a greater chance of Souza's tackles resulting in a throw-in

Whoscored.com ratings (90 mins unless stated; bold is higher rated if both played a minimum of 15 mins):
Palace: Souza (11 mins) 6.21; Norwood 6.64
Forest: Souza (58 mins) 7.21; Norwood 6.47
Man C: Souza 6.42; Norwood (80 mins) 6.82
Everton: Souza 6.64; Norwood 6.62
Spurs: Souza 7.16; Norwood (20 mins) 6.47
Newcastle: Souza 5.94; Norwood (62 mins) 5.66

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom