SUFC Academy U21 v Southampton (a) 03/02

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Nedski

Reaction score
I'm off to my first Blades U21 game today - it would be rude not to considering they are playing at AFC Totton which is literally up the road from me.

I'll try and post updates when I can, but the wife is coming along and already thinks I'm a bit weird taking time off work to "watch boys run around in shorts".

I see Arblaster is back. A couple of notable absences that may or may not be playing a part tomorrow.

Oh dear, I should have taken the afternoon off too, the ground is less than 2 miles away and the boss may notice my absence. Hope it is a good game.

Sounds like we’re giving a good account of ourselves according to the development Twitter which will obvious lean positively towards us but still it’s good to hear

The pen was an awful decision. Ref has been very inconsistent.

We're matching them though and have had a few really good chances.

Finlay Potter looks very good, Peck has been our most dangerous player. Buyabu also looks good. Hackford has struggled to get in the game and hasn't really threatened.

Our bench is a bit vocal! Really not happy with a lot of decisions and rightly so. 4th official is getting plenty of abuse

Surprised Peck did not get another loan, could he still go out to national league on a development loan?

Surprised Peck did not get another loan, could he still go out to national league on a development loan?
I believe youth loans can come and go whenever and aren't tied to transfer windows. They'll be a cut-off point I would assume to stop teams taking the michael towards the end of the season.

How is Arblaster doing? I believe this is his first game back?

Hopefully, that's planned.
Yeah it said so on the feed. The club account mentioned him in a positive light a few times and then said it was a planned substitution so sound like a good run out for him

It's all got a bit tasty. Gordon and Starbuck having a go at the 4th official, Gordon telling him all refs are arrogant as fuck!

Yeah it said so on the feed. The club account mentioned him in a positive light a few times and then said it was a planned substitution so sound like a good run out for him
We like to do a 45, 60 and then 90 when they've been out for a while. Good to have him back.

We were unlucky. 4th official didn't have a clue what he was doing and ignored Gordon and Starbuck when they were simply trying to get some answers about what was going on! Linesmen were both poor and the ref was just awful.
Our bench were pissed with the officials the entire game.

The standout players were:

Arblaster looked very good but really short of fitness
Gordon grew in to the game and looked typically calm in possession but was clearly wound up by the officiating
Starbuck same as Gordon, he can't be far from the first team
Peck put a shift in and along with Arblaster looks our most accomplished player
Potter needs some gym time but he could be very good in the near future
I was very surprised by Owen Hampson. He doesnt really look like a footballer but caused Saints trouble all game. Great touch, skillful, just a little on the small side. I've never noticed him before but he did well

Saints looked very good in the first half, in particular their no. 7 and no. 9, but we matched them and were the better team in the 2nd half. Their number 4 Bella-Kotchap was a massive prick and got away with threatening someone in front of the ref. Gordon and Starbuck (they are a proper little duo) gave it back to him and weren't phased, Peck was giving it back all game. Didn't realise he was actually a regular in the Saints first team.

It's a shame we're out of the cup but the boys can be proud today. As Roygbiv mentioned earlier, the Saints fans were comparing this team to their first team.

Can't wait to see Michael Collins post match interview..

We were unlucky. 4th official didn't have a clue what he was doing and ignored Gordon and Starbuck when they were simply trying to get some answers about what was going on! Linesmen were both poor and the ref was just awful.
Our bench were pissed with the officials the entire game.

The standout players were:

Arblaster looked very good but really short of fitness
Gordon grew in to the game and looked typically calm in possession but was clearly wound up by the officiating
Starbuck same as Gordon, he can't be far from the first team
Peck put a shift in and along with Arblaster looks our most accomplished player
I was very surprised by Owen Hampson. He doesnt really look like a footballer but caused Saints trouble all game. Great touch, skillful, just a little on the small side. I've never noticed him before but he did well

Saints looked very good in the first half, in particular their no. 7 and no. 9, but we matched them and were the better team in the 2nd half. Their number 4 Bella-Kotchap was a massive prick and got away with threatening someone in front of the ref. Gordon and Starbuck (they are a proper little duo) gave it back to him and weren't phased, Peck was giving it back all game. Didn't realise he was actually a regular in the Saints first team.

It's a shame we're out of the cup but the boys can be proud today. As Roygbiv mentioned earlier, the Saints fans were comparing this team to their first team.

Can't wait to see Michael Collins post match interview..
Hampson’s young, he’s been playing for the u18s. I think I heard or read he’s ex Man U academy.

This isn't sour grapes but said at the time their selection was a disgrace.

Yes, they are not bending rules exaclty.

But this is a development competition.

Players you have spent 10m on and have been playing for the first team are no longer development players.

It would be like us throwing in Bogle, Brewster etc. Makes a farce of it all.

I was very surprised by Owen Hampson. He doesnt really look like a footballer but caused Saints trouble all game. Great touch, skillful, just a little on the small side.
They're both 18 years old and way off their physical peaks:)

This isn't sour grapes but said at the time their selection was a disgrace.

Yes, they are not bending rules exaclty.

But this is a development competition.

Players you have spent 10m on and have been playing for the first team are no longer development players.

It would be like us throwing in Bogle, Brewster etc. Makes a farce of it all.
Off the top of my head, McBurnie has played for our u21s at least twice this season. We do occasionally use u21s games to give 1st team players minutes, especially when they're retuning from injuries.

You could also argue that playing against experienced Premier league players is better for our lads development than playing against other development players...

They're both 18 years old and way off their physical peaks:)
I hadn't realised they were both so young, Hampson only turned 18 in November! It's easy to forget we stick the young 'uns in early particularly when they hold their own against older/more experienced opposition

Good to see Arblaster back in the squad, but I was expecting Hackford to be on the bench tomorrow so maybe Marsh will be.
Unfortunately Hackford looked a long way off it today. I know he had a bad injury previously but he really struggled to get in to the game.

Having googled him, I thought he was older than 18 as he's been on the scene for years! Plus he was against two established Premier League centre backs, so I'll ease off the criticism

Unfortunately Hackford looked a long way off it today. I know he had a bad injury previously but he really struggled to get in to the game.

Having googled him, I thought he was older than 18 as he's been on the scene for years! Plus he was against two established Premier League centre backs, so I'll ease off the criticism
He was replaced due to injury.

Back
Top Bottom