Substitutions vs Spurs

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bergen Blade

Reaction score
I know we have limited options and I can see the logic in wanting to keep certain individuals on the pitch... BUT think we have to make more than three substitutions when games last so long. What was it 103 minutes? For long spells we were under serious pressure.

I thought we were crying out for more players to give us aggression, guts and energy. Norwood can make interceptions when he's close enough (he did a couple of times), but he's painfully slow and these Premiership players just drifts away from him. Davies also clearly needs time to get up to speed. I think it was the wrong decision to take Ahmedhodzic out of central defence to play right back when he'd had a really good game there and we were well organised.

Otherwise a really good effort. A shame to lose when we were so close.

Last season we win that 1-0

Difference is they brought on about £130m of international players

We will get savvy to game management at this level, and we are getting better each game

Hard one to take but a lesson to learn

And don’t whinge about added time, we took our time and thats the rules this season, at some point we will score a late one

99% well done Hecky, lads and fans there

Been saying this in shoutbox.

I don't care if we have little quality on the bench. Having no quality but legs trumps quality and no legs all day. We had mcburnie and archer on the pitch for 20 mins when they could barely bloody walk.

We have players on the pitch who can’t play 90 minutes and subs on the bench who are rustier than the stadium in S6, piss poor planning has now thrown another game away.

But….. patience.
But ....support

We have players on the pitch who can’t play 90 minutes and subs on the bench who are rustier than the stadium in S6, piss poor planning has now thrown another game away.

But….. patience.
We owe him an apology

I’ll support them on the pitch by all means, I won’t applaud the fucking about in transfer negotiations that’s been called out by our Manager on numerous occasions this season. McAtee could be 3 x 90 mins fitter now.
Thats done now
No one was happy about it
No need to be so anti united bevause of it .the team need you

I know we have limited options and I can see the logic in wanting to keep certain individuals on the pitch... BUT think we have to make more than three substitutions when games last so long. What was it 103 minutes? For long spells we were under serious pressure.

I thought we were crying out for more players to give us aggression, guts and energy. Norwood can make interceptions when he's close enough (he did a couple of times), but he's painfully slow and these Premiership players just drifts away from him. Davies also clearly needs time to get up to speed. I think it was the wrong decision to take Ahmedhodzic out of central defence to play right back when he'd had a really good game there and we were well organised.

Otherwise a really good effort. A shame to lose when we were so close.
Anel is a good CCB and should never have been moved - does Hecky not understand that a back three who've kept Spurs out for so long should not be disrupted ?

Last season we win that 1-0

Difference is they brought on about £130m of international players

We will get savvy to game management at this level, and we are getting better each game

Hard one to take but a lesson to learn

And don’t whinge about added time, we took our time and thats the rules this season, at some point we will score a late one

99% well done Hecky, lads and fans there
Last season we win 1 0 because the game finishes after 95 minutes

He wouldn’t have even made 3 subs if the players who came off wasn’t carrying a knock or cramp.

After the 3 subs he couldn’t make anymore because he’d used his 3 sub slots, unless the rules have changed?

It’s my appraisal of how we setup today and what’s played out in terms of added time
Hope you sat on your hands when hamer scored and sporting integrity went one nil down to those bully boys from bramhall lane

Hope you sat on your hands when hamer scored and sporting integrity went one nil down to those bully boys from bramhall lane
I had the little one in my arms and nearly dropped him. As ever with United though we managed to grab defeat from the jaws of victory. Hardly unexpected.

I’ll support them on the pitch by all means, I won’t applaud the fucking about in transfer negotiations that’s been called out by our Manager on numerous occasions this season. McAtee could be 3 x 90 mins fitter now.
In fairness though, that was a Man City thing not wanting to let him out earlier. Not much we could have done. It was either someone else much sooner or McAtee last day as I understood it. We went for the latter.

We did well last season, really happy with it. Makes a big difference when you do your business before the season starts.
Yeah obviously if we had done that then you could get behind the lads a bit
Shame we didnt and now you cant

The last 20mins McBurnie had given up he was that tired,anyone could see it.Anybody could have come on for him at that late stage in the game.
We needed more energy all over.

Yep. He ran his socks off and it showed from 65-70 on. Archer was also completely ineffective second half. Needed both yanking at the same time we freed Trusty for Traore and I guess Slimane

In hindsight, what would have been the best way to see out that game?

Let's assume Bogle, McAtee and Hamer had to come off.

I'd also replace the strikers.

And end up with:

Wes
Trusty Basham Ahmehodzic Robinson Thomas
Seriki Souza Davies Larouci
Slimane

So, a line up with a few players out of positions! But five subs made. A tweaked formation. Focus on added aggression, pace, running and chasing. Keeping the back three intact. Trusty's task wouldn't be to distribute and overlap, but basically stay goalside of his man and help defend our box.

Change to a midfield four, enabling Souza and Davies to stay central and concentrate on protecting the defence. Two young athletes thrown on as wide midfielders, to run, press, challenge and chase. Both are inexperienced at top level, but we wouldn't be asking them to create, to keep possession, show composure, it was all about running and booting it away at that stage. Slimane isn't a striker, but again his main task would be to run about a bit, and he's also decent at keeping the ball under pressure and would give us added height to help defend set pieces.

I didn't give it too much thought at the time, but looking back, I think the above would have been interesting to see, given another chance to try protect that lead.

Back
Top Bottom