Stronger or weaker than last time?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This is a game I can get on board with (just for fun)

Henderson 8 - 6 Foderingham
Baldock 8 - 8 Baldock
Basham 7 - 6 Ahmedhodzic
Egan 7 - 7 Egan
O'Connell 8 - 6 Robinson
Stevens 8 - 5 Lowe
Norwood 6 - 5 Norwood
Lundstram 6 - 7 Berge
Fleck 7 - 5 Fleck
McBurnie 6 - 6 McBurnie
McGoldrick 7 - 9 Ndiaye
Sub: Berge 6 - 5 Osborn

84 - 75
Ok it's easier to rate those on the left as we know how well they performed and came 9th.
We haven't signed anybody yet for this season.
If you don't like my numbers do your own.
For what its worth
Henderson 7 - 7 Foderingham
Baldock 9 - 9 Baldock
Basham 8 - 8 Ahmedhodzic
Egan 7 - 7 Egan
O'Connell 8 - 6 Robinson
Stevens 8 - 5 Lowe
Norwood 6 - 5 Norwood
Lundstram 6 - 7 Berge
Fleck 7 - 5 Fleck
McBurnie 6 - 7 McBurnie
McGoldrick 7 - 10 Ndiaye

85 x 81 = 6,885 + 5311123 and turn your head upside down :) You're welcome

If we account for some half decent new signings

Henderson 9 - 7 Foderingham
Baldock 7 - 7 Baldock
Basham 7 - 9 Ahmedhodzic
Egan 7 - 7 Egan
O'Connell 9 - 7 RND
Stevens 8 - 7 NEW SIGNING
Norwood 7 - 5 Norwood
Lundstram (pre Xmas) 8 - 7 Berge
Fleck 8 - 7 NEW SIGNING
McBurnie 6 - 6 McBurnie
McGoldrick 7 - 10 Ndiaye

Thats 83 vs 79, however a couple of Gems like Anel would bring us closer to that target and we probably have greater squad depth.

No shame in being lower than the 1st Prem season - the target is 17th not to challenge for Europe.

Saying we keep the players we have plus a couple of additions, are we stronger or weaker than when we last went up?
I myself don't see a lot of difference except maybe we were a bit tougher in the midfield. Jack O'Connell was immense on the left of our back 3 , although Robinson could maybe have the same impact should he carry on from last seasons form.
What's your views on our strengths or weakness between the team of 2019/20 and this years squad.
A lot are expecting us to come back down but i'm not so sure. The same things were being said last time but we proved them all wrong.
great thread, but I think there are some unfair comparisons being made. Mcburnie and Berge can't be included in any last time assesment to compare to where we are today. Likewise the likes of Henderson, doyle and McAtee shouldn't be counted either

Based on players actually at the clubthe comparison should look something like this (although not exact) based on time played by players still at the club.

Simon Moore - Wes +2
Baldock - Baldock +1
Stevens - Lowe - 2
Basham - Anel +1
Egan - Egan 0
JOC - Robinson/RND -2
Fleck - Fleck -2
Norwood - Norwood - 0
Duffy - Berge -1
Mcgoldrick - Ndayie +1
Sharp - Mcburnie - 2

Subs
Leon Clarke - Jebbison 0
Kieron Freeman - Bogle +1
Kieron Dowell - Osborn 0

Pretty much got the same result as everyone else though 🤣 🤣

We need a great transfer window, I think it's fair to say.

I think squad wise come the season start I think we'll be very much on par with the wilder squad, however what we don't have is that mystery factor (overlapping centre backs) which gave us an advantage back then, so we'll be weaker this time around.
Saying that we are in a better place than the squad that got us relegated so I reckon we'll just about be ok

Done this based on promotion season rather than that prem season... except for those that didn't play.

Henderson 8 - 8 Foderingham
Baldock 8 - 8 Baldock
Basham 7 - 9 Ahmedhodzic
Egan 7 - 8 Egan
O'Connell 8 - 6 Robinson
Stevens 8 - 6 Lowe
Norwood 7 - 7 Norwood
Lundstram 4 - 7 Berge
Fleck 7 - 4 Fleck
McBurnie 6 - 8 McBurnie
McGoldrick 9 - 9 Ndiaye
Sub: Berge 7 - 3 Osborn

86 - 83

Defensively, I think we're better

IMO, if we sort out that left side (lwb/lcb), get a couple of central midfielders and a striker in, we’ll have just as much of a chance as 19/20.

It’s completely do-able even if we’re financially struggling (relative to the league).

We can loan 3x (PL/foreign/Championship), get a free (Manning) and then pay a fee on another.

Hi Stegosaurus

The main difference between Jack O'Connell and Robinson is that Robinson is utter horseshit and a complete liability at the back whereas O'Connell would likely have ended up playing for England one day.
When Robinson first came he couldn't trap a sack of shit, now he can control the ball, move it around, pass it long and also do a Basham run. His tackles are OK, yes we know he makes the odd mistake who doesn't and his throws will cause mayhem, it's a yes from me.

Maybe 8lade had the right idea and you can upgrade it as we bring players in?

Hendo 8 - 6 Foderingham
Baldock 7 - 8 Baldock
Basham 8 - 8 Ahmedhodzic
Egan 7 - 8 Egan
O'Connell 9 - 5 Robinson
Stevens 8 - 6 RND
Norwood 7 - 5 Norwood
Lundstram 5 - 6 Berge
Fleck 7 - 4 Fleck
McBurnie 6 - 7 McBurnie
McGoldrick 7 - 9 Ndiaye
Ampadu 4 -
Moore 5 -

Who else made up the squad for that first season?
Picking this one back up with the new signings. I still suspect we'll be short, but that gap is closing and our signing are largely unknown, so to be fair a lot of the promoted team from last time should be dropped a mark or two ie Baldock, Bash, Norwood, Fleck, as we had no idea if they'd be good enough.
If Souza, Lorouci, and Traoré aren't bang average, which they won't all be, then we're even closer, so this is loaded in favour of the 19/20 team.
The acquisition of Doyle (7/8), Mcatee/Palmer (8/9's) and Archer (7/8) would put us pretty much level with how we see the 19/20 in hindsight.

Hendo 8 - 6 Foderingham
Baldock 7 - 8 Baldock
Basham 8 - 8 Ahmedhodzic
Egan 7 - 8 Egan
O'Connell 9 - 7 Trusty *
Stevens 8 - 5 Larouci *
Norwood 7 - 6 Souza*
Lundstram 5 - 8 Hamer*
Fleck 7 - 6 Slimane*
McBurnie 6 - 7 McBurnie
McGoldrick 7 - 5 Traoré*

19/20 Average - 7.2
23/24 Average - 6.7

*lowest likely estimate, should go up over the season,

Last edited:
Picking this one back up with the new signings. I still suspect we'll be short, but that gap is closing and our signing are largely unknown, so to be fair a lot of the promoted team from last time should be dropped a mark or two ie Baldock, Bash, Norwood, Fleck, as we had no idea if they'd be good enough.
If Souza, Lorouci, and Traoré aren't bang average, which they won't all be, then we're even closer, so this is loaded in favour of the 19/20 team.
The acquisition of Doyle (7/8), Mcatee/Palmer (8/9's) and Archer (7/8) would put us pretty much level with how we see the 19/20 in hindsight.

Hendo 8 - 6 Foderingham
Baldock 7 - 8 Baldock
Basham 8 - 8 Ahmedhodzic
Egan 7 - 8 Egan
O'Connell 9 - 7 Trusty *
Stevens 8 - 5 Larouci *
Norwood 7 - 6 Souza*
Lundstram 5 - 8 Hamer*
Fleck 7 - 6 Slimane*
McBurnie 6 - 7 McBurnie
McGoldrick 7 - 5 Traoré*

19/20 Average - 7.2
23/24 Average - 6.7

*lowest likely estimate, should go up over the season,
Well despite the mistake Larouci is improving as is Traore. Souza is also on an upward trajectory and Silmane isn’t starting. With the above, plus addition of Archer I think the 4-5 point difference is now negligible.
With the additions this week I think we’ll clearly have a stronger 11 and a stronger squad is even less arguable.

Well despite the mistake Larouci is improving as is Traore. Souza is also on an upward trajectory and Silmane isn’t starting. With the above, plus addition of Archer I think the 4-5 point difference is now negligible.
With the additions this week I think we’ll clearly have a stronger 11 and a stronger squad is even less arguable.

Agree these players are better individually but the Wilder team was better drilled, almost the same players week in week out playing like a machine with momentum riding the crest of the wave.

Wilders team gave Man City a much better game but this team are virtually still in preseason training. Will be interesting to see how we improve during the season.

Agree these players are better individually but the Wilder team was better drilled, almost the same players week in week out playing like a machine with momentum riding the crest of the wave.
I thought we actually looked quite well drilled yesterday too, which is quite a feat given half of those on the pitch weren't regular starters last year and most of those weren't even at the club. It bodes well for how organised we will be very soon, with a further improved starting 11 and options from the bench, that Wilder didn't have.

I thought we actually looked quite well drilled yesterday too, which is quite a feat given half of those on the pitch weren't regular starters last year and most of those weren't even at the club. It bodes well for how organised we will be very soon, with a further improved starting 11 and options from the bench, that Wilder didn't have.
In defence we were organised defending as a team but until McBurnie came on we struggled to string 2 or 3 passes together and never attacked.

Wilders team were well drilled in midfield and could keep possession for long ish spells taking the heat out of games. Even last season we had spells most game of treating the ball like a hot potato, of course we had spells of playing good football too, so couldn’t understand the extreme contrast in styles, it worked though and that’s all that counts.

In defence we were organised defending as a team but until McBurnie came on we struggled to string 2 or 3 passes together and never attacked.

Wilders team were well drilled in midfield and could keep possession for long ish spells taking the heat out of games. Even last season we had spells most game of treating the ball like a hot potato, of course we had spells of playing good football too, so couldn’t understand the extreme contrast in styles, it worked though and that’s all that counts.
Fair, but you are seeing green shoots with this side, and the potential additions surely?

The signings have been far better this time with less money spent. Wilder made a complete hash of signing players once we got promoted to the prem.

Back
Top Bottom