Stronger or weaker than last time?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It's hard to compare at the start of the season, a team just promoted Vs one that finished 9th in Prem. I am a bit amazed that people seem to have forgotten how good Basham was that season. We had smg like the 4/5ty best defence in the worlds best league and if I remember correctly he was statistically the best ball carrying defender in Europe or smg smiliar. He was many people's player of the season, he was just outstanding... certainly a bit more than 7/10.Ahmedhodzic may have more talent and a higher ceiling, but if he matches Bashams performance next season we will be selling him for 60 million.

The team definitely isn't as good, but there's two months of the transfer window left so that could (and hopefully will) change.

But far more importantly than that, we had a better manager and we had the fans on board.

Of at least equal importance is whether our rivals (mid table and below) are stronger or weaker.

The PL continues to attract top players from around the world and the elite teams continue to strengthen. However, it’s not clear how strong our peers will be.

Take wolves. Just received large sums for Neves, but not clear how much of that money will be invested in players. Their fans are worried that they won’t strengthen and will struggle to avoid the drop.

We could be much stronger when we get some additional players in, and still get hammered every week. Conversely, we could be weaker, but pick up more points because others haven’t improved.

Lots of moving parts here. For me, it feels like we will struggle to survive, but that’s just gut feel. In reality, we will need to play a few games to see how we compare. Palace represents an excellent chance for early points at home. Let’s hope we make a good start.

It's hard to compare at the start of the season, a team just promoted Vs one that finished 9th in Prem. I am a bit amazed that people seem to have forgotten how good Basham was that season. We had smg like the 4/5ty best defence in the worlds best league and if I remember correctly he was statistically the best ball carrying defender in Europe or smg smiliar. He was many people's player of the season, he was just outstanding... certainly a bit more than 7/10.Ahmedhodzic may have more talent and a higher ceiling, but if he matches Bashams performance next season we will be selling him for 60 million.

Smgs wrong with your spelling of something.

Currently worse, and it's not even close.

Last time, we had a system, we were incredibly well drilled, everyone swapped positions interchangeably when we attacked, everyone knew where everyone was going to be.

We had a buzz, owing to playing proper football, the Sheff United way.

We now have the same core, and whilst they aren't all guaranteed starters, they're 3 years older and haven't been replaced.

We have very few permanent, influential midfielders, with the potential to grow beyond their current skillset.

Now we have 1-2 star players of a calibre way above last time, but we have very little game plan and hope they will create a moment of magic.

They're also all going into the final years of their deals here which will have a big impact on the mindset of the club.

As you say, not even close to what we had last time.

Currently worse, and it's not even close.

Last time, we had a system, we were incredibly well drilled, everyone swapped positions interchangeably when we attacked, everyone knew where everyone was going to be.

We had a buzz, owing to playing proper football, the Sheff United way.

We now have the same core, and whilst they aren't all guaranteed starters, they're 3 years older and haven't been replaced.

We have very few permanent, influential midfielders, with the potential to grow beyond their current skillset.

Now we have 1-2 star players of a calibre way above last time, but we have very little game plan and hope they will create a moment of magic.
we just finished with more points but its not even close

As it stands, we aren't as strong as we were last season.
Hopefully that will change before we play Palace.

As it stands, we aren't as strong as we were last season.
Hopefully that will change before we play Palace.
Which is why it’s a daft comparison at this stage, but those that enjoy the negative do this every June/early July.
We’re definitely stronger than in our last season in this league and that’s hardly debatable. We’ve then got our signings to come so let’s see where we are at the close of the window before we seriously compare.

Going through the team, Deano is a better keeper, Enda was in his pomp and Lowe is too weak and inconsistent, Robbo isn’t a patch on Joc, Anel could be the same as Bash.
Tough one midfield because that’s where we are going to get reinforcements in this transfer window (hopefully) but Lunny was our lucky secret weapon for a while.
Ndiaye you’d have thought would be better than Didzy

I’ve not mention positions where players are the same

as for the managers, Wilder has a real zest for the premier league when we first went up and I think the players responded Hecky doesn’t have that persona but tactically I think he’s better.

We won't get £60 million for anybody, no matter what they do for us.
He'll go on a free, or for next to nothing in the January before his contract expires after refusing our embarrassing contract renewal offer

Going through the team, Deano is a better keeper, Enda was in his pomp and Lowe is too weak and inconsistent, Robbo isn’t a patch on Joc, Anel could be the same as Bash.
Tough one midfield because that’s where we are going to get reinforcements in this transfer window (hopefully) but Lunny was our lucky secret weapon for a while.
Ndiaye you’d have thought would be better than Didzy

I’ve not mention positions where players are the same

as for the managers, Wilder has a real zest for the premier league when we first went up and I think the players responded Hecky doesn’t have that persona but tactically I think he’s better.
We hadn’t resigned Hendo at this point though, so the keeper for comparison is Moore and I don’t think there’s loads in it. Also Lunny had hardly played at this comparable point and wasn’t highly rated.

Saying we keep the players we have plus a couple of additions, are we stronger or weaker than when we last went up?
I myself don't see a lot of difference except maybe we were a bit tougher in the midfield. Jack O'Connell was immense on the left of our back 3 , although Robinson could maybe have the same impact should he carry on from last seasons form.
What's your views on our strengths or weakness between the team of 2019/20 and this years squad.
A lot are expecting us to come back down but i'm not so sure. The same things were being said last time but we proved them all wrong.
Too early to tell mate. Let's see WHO we get and not how many we might get.

As we stand right now before we've kicked a ball, I would say very similar to last time.

We won't get £60 million for anybody, no matter what they do for us.
He'll go on a free, or for next to nothing in the January before his contract expires after refusing our embarrassing contract renewal offer
Wowzers

Hi Stegosaurus here

I don't know why people think I'm a Wednesday fan. It seems many here need to take off their tinfoil hats
I think Stegofield is just a WUM that doesn't go to any matches.

Not having a dig, just my observations.

We hadn’t resigned Hendo at this point though, so the keeper for comparison is Moore and I don’t think there’s loads in it. Also Lunny had hardly played at this comparable point and wasn’t highly rated.
We may not have resigned him by now but he did play in tne first match of the season

If you know how the transfer market works, we will never receive £60 million for a player.
A transfer fee is very much dependent on a players current contract, how much he earns and how long is left on it, as much as his ability.

How many times do we lose a player directly to one of the gigantic clubs for gigantic money?
Never,
We've lost players in the past to basic, average, middle of the road, run of the mill clubs because they'd pay what we wouldn't, it is them who then sell them on for big money.

I've said no end of times on here that we should never pay a transfer fee for a player again, we can't make that work, sooner or later it will be time to improve that contract and us being us will offload the player for whatever we can get rather than pay him the required salary to stay.

The millions spent on Berge, McBurnie, Brewster, Robinson, Freeman would have been much better used on free transfers of out of contract players, but to get these players you have to compete in the salary department.

But instead of wasting £20 million on a Championship player there are hundreds of players abroad that should be looked at if we had the capability to find them and the willingness to pay them.

We may not have resigned him by now but he did play in tne first match of the season
But you have no idea what our squad will be for that game, which is my point.
You’re comparing the strongest view of the last promotion season with the weakest part of our current one.
It kind of makes it rather pointless if it’s deliberately loaded in favour of one outcome.

Last edited:
If you know how the transfer market works, we will never receive £60 million for a player.
A transfer fee is very much dependent on a players current contract, how much he earns and how long is left on it, as much as his ability.

How many times do we lose a player directly to one of the gigantic clubs for gigantic money?
Never,
We've lost players in the past to basic, average, middle of the road, run of the mill clubs because they'd pay what we wouldn't, it is them who then sell them on for big money.

I've said no end of times on here that we should never pay a transfer fee for a player again, we can't make that work, sooner or later it will be time to improve that contract and us being us will offload the player for whatever we can get rather than pay him the required salary to stay.

The millions spent on Berge, McBurnie, Brewster, Robinson, Freeman would have been much better used on free transfers of out of contract players, but to get these players you have to compete in the salary department.

But instead of wasting £20 million on a Championship player there are hundreds of players abroad that should be looked at if we had the capability to find them and the willingness to pay them.
And that is exactly the downfall for Wilder.
Apart from Berge it was British only. We know any good British players come at a premium.
We way overpaid for Brewster and McBurnie
2 strikers where if they had looked further afield we could have signed 2 strikers and a couple of other players for around the same outlay.

When we came up last time we had a really good defense with back 3 of Bash, Egan and JOC plus Hendo in goal and Enda and Baldock as wing backs. We didnt ship many goals but relied on not conceding and managing to score the odd goal or 2. JOC was a massive part of that defence and losing him was the main reason in my view why we got relegated. Had he remained fit I think we would have stayed up. The present squad is not as strong defensively but we do have individuals in the squad who are potential match winners. Ndiaie, Berge, Anel. If we are to stay up we need to recruit a few "Anel" type signings and then I think we could be better than the last promoted team.

But you have no idea what our squad will be for that game, which is my point.
You’re comparing the strongest view of the last promotion season with the weakest part of our current one.
It kind of makes it rather pointless if it’s deliberately loaded in favour of one outcome.
That’s true but being that nobody knows the future we are just musing through this thread

That’s true but being that nobody knows the future we are just musing through this thread
Maybe 8lade had the right idea and you can upgrade it as we bring players in?

Hendo 8 - 6 Foderingham
Baldock 7 - 8 Baldock
Basham 8 - 8 Ahmedhodzic
Egan 7 - 8 Egan
O'Connell 9 - 5 Robinson
Stevens 8 - 6 RND
Norwood 7 - 5 Norwood
Lundstram 5 - 6 Berge
Fleck 7 - 4 Fleck
McBurnie 6 - 7 McBurnie
McGoldrick 7 - 9 Ndiaye
Sub: Berge 6 - 5 Osborn
Ampadu 4 -
Moore 5 -

Who else made up the squad for that first season?

A better question is "which players from 20/21 are still here and are they better or worse?"

Baldock - Better
Bogle - worse
Bash - worse
Egan - better
JLT - better
Lowe - better
Osborn - worse
Norwood - worse
Fleck - worse
Berge - better
Ndiaye - better
McBurnie - better
Brewster - better
Jebbison - better

The really big difference is that the club now has a football manager in charge, playing the leadership game with a financially weak owner, versus and ego led manager, who got too big for his boots, with an owner who knew little about top level football.

Hindsight is a blessing for some! Lol 😂

And that is exactly the downfall for Wilder.
Apart from Berge it was British only. We know any good British players come at a premium.
We way overpaid for Brewster and McBurnie
2 strikers where if they had looked further afield we could have signed 2 strikers and a couple of other players for around the same outlay.

Mousset, Zivkovic, Restos are others that come to mind.

Back
Top Bottom