Strikers

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Far more concerned with our lack of threat from midfield than I am with our strikers. Far more concerned with our defence than our midfield.

We've failed to score in just two out of eleven league games so far, but we've only kept two clean sheets. And we've spent this afternoon chasing a game that we had down as a good winning opportunity because of a poor mistake (from a player who's been otherwise solid). A mistake that I suspect wouldn't have happened had we not had yet another reshuffle of our defensive line up, or if they'd had more time to settle and develop as a unit.

That probably all sounds a bit negative, but the upshot is that we're still finding our feet under a new manager and a lot of new players. Across the pitch we still seem like we're not quite there, but there's plenty of reason to think that we can settle the back five, get the service right and the strikers' confidence flowing, and with some key players to return or yet to make a full impact (Basham, Clarke, Lavery, Chapman, even Hussey was getting some positive mentions during the commentary).

We're up to fourth now and still plenty of reason to think we can improve. Still feeling dangerously positive even after an iffy result today.

got 2 weeks now until our next league game. Clarke should just about be ready by then.

I think Chapman played CF for the last 30 minutes against Leicester

Starting to look a bit threadbare up front with Clarke out for a month and Lavery looking like he can't string more than 2 appearances on the trot together. If we get an injury or suspension for Sharp or Done we are in trouble. Any free agents knocking about ?

Totally agree.

Never in a month of Sundays would I have thought I would say this but the sooner Clarke can get back on the pitch the better.

Sharp n Done doesn't work. I really thought it would but it just doesn't so I was wrong !

I'll say it quietly but we are really missing Che :(

UTB

Lavery will be back for the next league game, thankfully. But he'll miss the important cup game against Walsall.

Wilder on Clarke and Lavery: "They would've possibly started today"

That's good to hear, it suggests he won't be afraid to rotate, when not forced to.

He also highlights how we really could've done with them off the bench, and I agree, I think we'd have won if we had those two available.

Lavery will be back for the next league game, thankfully. But he'll miss the important cup game against Walsall.

Wilder on Clarke and Lavery: "They would've possibly started today"

That's good to hear, it suggests he won't be afraid to rotate, when not forced to.

He also highlights how we really could've done with them off the bench, and I agree, I think we'd have won if we had those two available.

I was not at the Fleetwood game yesterday, but on the radio, it sounded like nearly every high ball into the box was dealt with by McLaughlin? (think that was the name), as we have no height up front. Clarke would have shaken that up, and EEL did indeed shake that up when he went up front for the equalizer

Scunthorpe are dangerous on the wings. Their strikers are average, and Morris has scored as many in the first 11 games as he has in his career prior to that.

They are on form at the moment, but won't maintain it which is why I don't expect them to maintain a run for the top two.
What we need to be able to do is stay in touch, keep the run going and win 5 out of every 7 and finish this squad in January ready for the run in. Get it right and we win the league, its that simple.

Quality striker that ticks all the boxes of Speed, Power and finishing.
Maybe another midfield player to complement what we have.

Spot on Mr Grizzly.

It's fine. Ched Evans is conveniently injured at the moment, given what month we're heading into...

He'll fully clear his name and he'll see a United side chasing promotion. The chance for Championship football with a set of fans who supported him through his darkest hour will be too good to miss & he'll be back here come January.

We're missing goals from midfield. There's too much pressure on Sharp and Done. In January we need an extremely good ball winning, box to box CM to replace Basham. This will free up Duffy and Fleck to get further forward. They should have 15-20 goals between them. It should also tighten up the defence. We also need to work on set-pieces. If we're playing 3 centre backs I want to see more goals from corners and free kicks.

Like the look of morris at scunt-horpe. Would be a nice addition.

Don't worry about Morris at Scunny.

Yes he's scored a few, and he's full of comfid nice at the moment. But other than him scoring I didn't see anything special. Not quick, not tricky but keeps things simple. Scunny will be hoping he keeps up the form and then someone offers silly money for him, because he isn't the star his goalscoring records suggest

It's fine. Ched Evans is conveniently injured at the moment, given what month we're heading into...

He'll fully clear his name and he'll see a United side chasing promotion. The chance for Championship football with a set of fans who supported him through his darkest hour will be too good to miss & he'll be back here come January.

Nah, that'd be too perfect.

He'll just go straight to a Championship club, where Kevin McCabe isn't chairman.

As for Josh Morris, he's the difference between us and Scunthorpe at the minute. Surely he won't maintain this form but the quality of the goals he's scoring suggest he won't be a flash in the pan.

Once Clarke is fit get Done, Sharp or Lavery alongside him - that's properly alongside him, not 20 yards deep in midfield - and our attack will look much better. At the moment it's getting played forward, Sharp and Done are getting battered and the ball is coming straight back. Getting EEL, the big pie muncher we've needed at the back for over 2 seasons, has helped sort many of the defensive problems. Clarke at the over end of the park will help sort many of the attacking problems.

Once we get a proper general in midfield <not Basham> that'll sort the powder puff midfield problems too.

Strong spine and a strong back line and we'll not go too far wrong!

Back
Top Bottom