Stefan Scougall- The Resurrection?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Scoogs is a very useful player and I can see him having a real impact this season. He offers something different, has great skill, looks to attack and gets stuck in with his tackling. He is also much tougher than most folk give him credit for.

Glad to have him around the squad.

I give him a lot of leeway after his start to his career in a Blades shirt. I never wanted to sell him last season and don't think he was given a real chance. I'm glad to have him around but maybe not as a starter

Scougall is a player that I like but I can't really see his place in the team.

He first came to us as a number 10, ironically playing behind another number 10 in Jose Baxter - who played as a lone striker.

If, as we all think, Wilder opts for Fleck and Bash in midfield with Clarke and Sharp up top, where does Scouggs fit in? I'm convinced that his role will be limited to coming on with 10-15 minutes to go and harrying the opposition when one of our players ha run out of legs.

I felt for a while that the club had let him down by not putting him on some kind of bulking-up programme, but I've since discovered that players need to undertake that kind of thing themselves if that's what they wish.

He's a good little player, but he's simply not strong enough. Remember when he got tossed to the floor at Bradford? I've seen players dragged to the floor, but until then I've never seen a player literally tossed in the air!

I hope I'm proven wrong and he has a better this year, but I can't see it. Not saying he's not good enough, just saying he struggles a bit when he comes up against big feckers, of which there's a few in this division.

I felt for a while that the club had let him down by not putting him on some kind of bulking-up programme, but I've since discovered that players need to undertake that kind of thing themselves if that's what they wish.

He's a good little player, but he's simply not strong enough. Remember when he got tossed to the floor at Bradford? I've seen players dragged to the floor, but until then I've never seen a player literally tossed in the air!

I hope I'm proven wrong and he has a better this year, but I can't see it. Not saying he's not good enough, just saying he struggles a bit when he comes up against big feckers, of which there's a few in this division.
I still can't believe to this day that we didn't get a penalty for that and the ref was in a great position as well. He should never ref again, it wasn't just a mistake, it was cheating in my book. Now I know this is hard to prove but I'll stick by it for as long as I live, there was no other explanation.

I still can't believe to this day that we didn't get a penalty for that and the ref was in a great position as well. He should never ref again, it wasn't just a mistake, it was cheating in my book. Now I know this is hard to prove but I'll stick by it for as long as I live, there was no other explanation.
I don't think anyone who saw it could believe their eyes
Same must go for the ref

I can't either, but refs are always going to bottle decisions and balls things up in this league.

The question is what can Scougs do to stop that, or similar, happening again? He can gain muscle and mass.

Never did. I am always open minded about the players we have just signed and then judge him after a number of games I have seem him play for us. Coutts has very good technique that many dont see. I feel Wilder now thinks Coutts is better than he thought he was when he was appointed as our manager. Give it a few more months. I dont rate McNulty but he played well in the Derby friendly so Wilder may get the best out of him too and prove me wrong

I see Coutts' technique but it doesn't blind me to his failure to contribute in any significant way whatsoever. If Wilder thinks he can exploit Coutts' talent then I worry he's been seduced in the same way his predecessors were.

If I'm wrong, great. But I'm truly sick of watching a player who offers nothing more than a few neat touches in every game.

Your first paragraph is interesting and also concerning.
Adams returned to the Lane for the first home match last season against Chezzy looking like Arnold Scwarzenegar and was a couple of yards too slow. He was muscle bound and uncomfortable looking. I`m shocked to hear the club might not control issues like this that impact on a players ability to fulfill their contractural obligations. Diet and fitness are now as big as any other side of training and preperation and I find it very concerning IF United leave such vital matters in the hands of teenagers likely to be more influenced by the body shape of a Marvel comic book hero than a world class athlete.

Your first paragraph is interesting and also concerning.
Adams returned to the Lane for the first home match last season against Chezzy looking like Arnold Scwarzenegar and was a couple of yards too slow. He was muscle bound and uncomfortable looking. I`m shocked to hear the club might not control issues like this that impact on a players ability to fulfill their contractural obligations. Diet and fitness are now as big as any other side of training and preperation and I find it very concerning IF United leave such vital matters in the hands of teenagers likely to be more influenced by the body shape of a Marvel comic book hero than a world class athlete.

The really irritating thing for me is that I can't fucking remember where I read that. It might have been in one of The Secret Footballer books, but I can't name a source and give that some credibility. The info was something along the lines of clubs maintain fitness and all that, but if players want to do anything extra (I.e Scougs putting on weight and turning it into muscle mass), the onus is on them to approach the fitness staff. It'd never be the club approaching the player and saying 'Right, we're gonna do this with your body'.

On the flipside, I recall seeing an interview with Adebayo Akinfenwa where he said his gaffer at the time told him to slow down at the gym because he was 'a Footballer and not a bodybuilder'. Perhaps they step in to stop anything that might hamper performance but don't put in the extra hours to push for owt that might enhance it? Just a guess.

I can't either, but refs are always going to bottle decisions and balls things up in this league.

The question is what can Scougs do to stop that, or similar, happening again? He can gain muscle and mass.
I get what you're saying mate but if that tackle happened in Rugby then the player would be sin binned for a dangerous tackle no matter how big or strong they are, it was cheating and I'd love to know what the refs excuse was as to just wave his hands in the no penalty and play on way.

I see Coutts' technique but it doesn't blind me to his failure to contribute in any significant way whatsoever. If Wilder thinks he can exploit Coutts' talent then I worry he's been seduced in the same way his predecessors were.

If I'm wrong, great. But I'm truly sick of watching a player who offers nothing more than a few neat touches in every game.
Coutts' lacklustre and pathetic performances last season far outweighed the good ones and for that reason alone I hope I never see him play for us again, Baxter showed a lot more effort and that's saying something. I stuck up for Coutts on a number of occasions when alcoblade and others were slating him, I know where they were coming from now, fuck off Coutts you lazy twat.

Coutts managed to look decidely average against Hallam. Doesn't bode well for the season.

Has anybody ever seen a good muscle bound footballer .nope

There's overly-muscular and there's being plain strong. Plenty of great muscular players knocking around. Wilfred Bony for example; pretty hench, great player.

Just think in my book far to much weight training done by players . the art of being hard in the tackle is 100 % in the heart and soul of the player not in the gym .

Surely the management and fitness staff make suggestions to players about their physical condition though, and the player would have to be quite unprofessional to disregard it.

I put a lot of Adams' physical defootballerisation down to Adkins and his staff, not only Che himself being stupid. Any competent management team would know that he couldn't risk losing his pace and was strong enough anyway for the type of player he is.

How about nothing. No matter how big and bulky he is, a foul is a foul. No matter how big he is if the ref (blind bastard or cheat) can't see it or won't award it, Scouggs can't alter it even if he is the size of the Hulk!

Can't fault Scoogs for effort, running and skill on the ball but his crossing/final pass and shooting really need to improve - scored a few pre season though so we'll see. I would be happy for him to be around the squad although not as a starter.

Can't fault Scoogs for effort, running and skill on the ball but his crossing/final pass and shooting really need to improve - scored a few pre season though so we'll see. I would be happy for him to be around the squad although not as a starter.
Like yer thinking Minty. I'd like to go one further though. I want him to improve so much that he becomes unplayable by everyone else in the league and we HAVE to put hom on the team sheet first. Mind you, I want that for everyone who pulls on a shirt for us (including everyone on Shoreham Street!)

Just think in my book far to much weight training done by players . the art of being hard in the tackle is 100 % in the heart and soul of the player not in the gym .
Remember Monty when he first played, before he bulked up? From what I recall he was a much better footballer. After, he was stronger but, as we know, technically poor. Being lithe and muscly is OK but as soon as you start to look like a bodybuilder it takes away from other areas.

If we could morph Scougall and Coutts into one player ,it would be a hell of a player.

I think scougs is a good little player - was teriffic when he first came in.

Then suffered from a lack of form and was just not given a chance after that. He's done enough pre season to suggest he can make a contribution. We aren't exactly over flowing with number 10 types.

Be nice if he could add some goals to his game tho - that for me is the difference between him being an guaranteed starter and just a squad player next year.

Wilder must be tasked with getting the best out of the players he has available - he'd be doing a great job if he can get an extra 5-10% out of the underperformers. Especially as we couldn't afford to replace a fully firing scougs or coutts for that matter.

Coutts managed to look decidely average against Hallam. Doesn't bode well for the season.
Courts was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch v hallam but is it his level .superb technical player .but what heart does he have

Back
Top Bottom