Squad Numbers 2015/16

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Is it only me that gets a little wound up about Murphy wearing number 9? I know there's more pressing matters in the world but it's seriously the worst thing Nigel Clough ever did during his tenure. It really messes with my head, I think 7 would be a good number but oh well. I was really optimistic that new Nigel would rectify this obscenity but NO!! So angry right now!

The old numbering system was useful for spectators in recognising the position and role of opposition players and the way the team is set out but its not crucial and probably no longer appropriate for what has become increasingly a squad game.

To be honest I am not overly fussed about who wears what number nowadays as I can recognise our players even with my failing eyesight but it may make a psychological difference to a player to wear a 1-11 squad number as I think there is still a bit of a cultural hangover from the old pre-squad number days about "the first 11".

Some shirts do have significance for certain clubs - for most of us its the 10 shirt - I wondered whether clubs would adopt the American practice of retiring a number in honour of a great player, but personally I hope not. I would prefer we retained the number 10 in the hope it would motivate a player.

I don't suppose we will ever see our Nos 1-11 on the pitch at the same time, but if we did it would make a terrific attacking team, especially in the old 2-3-5 formation:

Howard
Freeman Harris
J Wallace Brayford Basham
Flynn Coutts Sharp Baxter Murphy

Given that Wallace and Basham resemble old-style wing-halves, and Coutts and Baxter (and Scougall) natural old-fashioned inside-forwards, this would be an exciting line-up although we might concede a few.

Sharp has been quoted as saying he has th #10 shirt in honour of his blades hero growing up....Brian Deane can't fault him and add to that TC had number 10 if he can be half the player of one or half the goal scorer of the other then will blades enjoy his return :)

I don't suppose we will ever see our Nos 1-11 on the pitch at the same time, but if we did it would make a terrific attacking team, especially in the old 2-3-5 formation:

Howard
Freeman Harris
J Wallace Brayford Basham
Flynn Coutts Sharp Baxter Murphy

Given that Wallace and Basham resemble old-style wing-halves, and Coutts and Baxter (and Scougall) natural old-fashioned inside-forwards, this would be an exciting line-up although we might concede a few.

Could do i suppose...

Howard
Freeman Brayford Basham Harris
Flynn Coutts Wallace Murphy
Baxter
Sharp​

He wore 16 in his first season.

Coutts at 8 is a good move, I've said that I think McEveley will surprise some doubters in the thread about the captaincy but in terms of players who I think are unfairly maligned by Unitedites, Coutts is up there.

I still don't like Murphy wearing 9 but there you go. Freeman wearing 2 is a good sign; he'll be a revelation.
I agree about these two.

Coutts and McEverley can both prove some wrong on the forums. I certainly hope they both do

Back
Top Bottom