Squad according to D-Smith

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CPB

Reaction score
It would seem that El' Accounto Darren Smith has been fairly accurate so far with what we are looking at bringing in and how it has panned thus.

Now we have brought in Slimane and Larouchi we are set to sign Traore today.
Darren has said that next signing should be a LCB by sounds of it loan to buy again and that will be it transfer wise.

After this we are looking at bringing in 2 loans and we will consider some free transfers possibly. And that will be it depending on departures of course.

So given that how does that shape the squad up in terms of numbers and quality?
New signings we are going to just have to see and hope they do indeed improve us, this market we are shopping in is in a way gamble territory.
We aren't signing players who you know are capable for PL footy but of course they very much might be!

GK: Wes, Davies

RWB: Baldock, Bogle,
RCB: Anel, Basham
CB: Egan, (Basham/Anel/Robinson/New signing cover?)
LCB: Jack Robinson, New signings, RND
LWB: Larouchi, Lowe, RND

CM: Berge, Norwood, Slimane, Fleck, Osborn, Coulibaly,

FWDS: N'Diaye, McBurnie, Traore Osula, Jebbison, Brewster

Looking at the above, you'd have to think that the 2 loans are likely to be midfield recruits.
I wouldn't be surprised if one is Doyle if he isn't sold by City.

I suspect that after Traore unless N'Diaye leaves which is still a big possibility but if not that will be it for strikers.
There is a chance CB could be a loan but I suspect that's more likely to be a free transfer even or we just try and cover with the other defenders.

If we can keep N'Diaye and Berge, and add some decent loan players then that will feel much more positive to us.
Would seem that figure of £20m to spend might actually be half accurate, but we won't even have come close in terms of fee's by sounds of it.
Still find it a little hard to work out how we are hard up but seems not alot we can do about it.

It would seem that El' Accounto Darren Smith has been fairly accurate so far with what we are looking at bringing in and how it has panned thus.

Darren has said that next signing should be a LCB by sounds of it loan to buy again and that will be it transfer wise.

After this we are looking at bringing in 2 loans and we will consider some free transfers possibly. And that will be it depending on departures of course.

New signings we are going to just have to see and hope they do indeed improve us, this market we are shopping in is in a way gamble territory.
We aren't signing players who you know are capable for PL footy but of course they very much might be!

Looking at the above, you'd have to think that the 2 loans are likely to be midfield recruits.

I suspect that after Traore unless N'Diaye leaves which is still a big possibility but if not that will be it for strikers.
There is a chance CB could be a loan but I suspect that's more likely to be a free transfer even or we just try and cover with the other defenders.

If we can keep N'Diaye and Berge, and add some decent loan players then that will feel much more positive to us.
Would seem that figure of £20m to spend might actually be half accurate, but we won't even have come close in terms of fee's by sounds of it.
Still find it a little hard to work out how we are hard up but seems not alot we can do about it.
LCB to replace Clark/JOC
CM to replace Doyle
CAM to replace McAtee
ST to replace Sharp (Traore)

At LEAST.

Last edited:
I would hope we have some serious flair lined up as one of the loans

I think it would also be disappointing if we didn’t also look to bring in a midfielder - (a Lewis o’brien / Doyle (may no longer be doable type) ) permanently. There’s no succession plan here with berge / fleck / Osborn all out of contract in 12m and Norwood getting on.

The budget was never likely to be huge - but as you say even the rumoured 20m wouldn’t be being touched at the rate we are spending. We’re at less than 5 million - with no other rumoured purchases so far.

Add in the loan fees, and you’ll be closer.
Wasn’t the LCB we apparentky missed out on to Heatha, rumoured to be £4-5m loan fee alone?

Nowhere near good enough for the prem

These 2 loan players need to be top top players 🤷‍♂️

I think it would also be disappointing if we didn’t also look to bring in a midfielder - (a Lewis o’brien / Doyle (may no longer be doable type) ) permanently. There’s no succession plan here with berge / fleck / Osborn all out of contract in 12m and Norwood getting on.

The budget was never likely to be huge - but as you say even the rumoured 20m wouldn’t be being touched at the rate we are spending. We’re at less than 5 million - with no other rumoured purchases so far.

Personally think we're more than well catered for when it comes to 'flair'.

Ili (assuming he stays), Traore and Larouci are all very skillful. Then throw in other existing players who have tricks up their sleeves like Berge, Anel and Bogle and that's enough for me.

I want a couple of dirty horrible bastards now. Or at least one. Then someone to make us tick like Doyle.

Agree with most - we must cover these 4 positions.
LCB - loan or loan to buy
Midfield - ideally buy Doyle (£12m ish plus add ons)
Attacking midfield - loan
Striker - loan (someone who could cover for McBurnie, hold the ball, good in air, Jebbison not ready yet.

'Nice to have' after that:
Back up keeper upgrade
Back up for Doyle (not convinced we have enough cover there, let alone first choice player in that position).

That adds up to around £16M spend overall (not counting salaries but they might have been offset after releasing Sharp, Enda, JOC)

Do we keep something back for January?
As long as we are not cut adrift at the bottom we should still be able to attract a couple of decent players, so maybe look to invest another £6M + there. Maybe more if it means staying up.
The talk of £20M spend was for this window as I understand it, not January.

Is it only me that thinks the goalkeeping department looks poor?.
Would like to see a decent proven or up and coming keeper added to the squad. Wes and Davies seem weak for a Premier league team.
Was going to post this, I’m happy with Wes but we really need a quality keeper in to push Wes for the no 1 spot or at least be back up, if Wes was to get injured I’d be really worried about the keeper dept. Wouldn’t use a loan spot (unless top class) so would be looking at an out of contract keeper somewhere.

It's actually a bit frightening our lack of succession plan for in 12 months time.

I mean hopefully that will change.

For a start though I'd be wanting to offer Baldock and Egan new deals.
Of course N'Diaye and Berge new deals would be great but that will remain to be seen.
I'd give McBurnie a new deal too, just so that we can at least command a fee. But if he does OK next season then he's worthwhile keeping PL or Champ.

Don’t give up on McAtee late in the window
It doesn't sound like Man City want him to come here.

Nothing against us but given we are going to be not dominating games as much if at all it's not the development they want.

I suppose though if he hasn't found somewhere on loan late in window, it's a chance. But can't see us gambling on that.

I see O'Brien still getting mentioned I really hope this is United shithousing Forest, pretty sure we could get Gabriel for the same money and his stats are much better, his highlights are infinitely better and he hasn't been Premier League 'burned'*.

*Tried and found wanting/discarded.

I see O'Brien still getting mentioned I really hope this is United shithousing Forest, pretty sure we could get Gabriel for the same money and his stats are much better, his highlights are infinitely better and he hasn't been Premier League 'burned'*.

*Tried and found wanting/discarded.

I’m not sure he ever really got a chance. Forrest had a completely scattergun approach to signing players. I’d not discard him on that basis if he can be picked up for a bargain price. He’s certainly proven at championship level where in all honesty we might be playing in 12m anyway.

It doesn't sound like Man City want him to come here.

Nothing against us but given we are going to be not dominating games as much if at all it's not the development they want.

I suppose though if he hasn't found somewhere on loan late in window, it's a chance. But can't see us gambling on that.

Being fair - how many teams really dominate games in the PL. there’s the top 6/8 then everyone else.

If a team like Brighton came in then fair enough - everywhere else there will be games when he’s on the back foot. I wouldn’t see us being materially different to a palace or Fulham, wolves really. But with the bonus of there being no settling in period.

We still need at least two midfielders (ideally starters), a starting LCB and a striker. I'm confident we'll get them in and the midfielders will probably be the loan starters (hopefully Doyle is one of them)

I suspect the management team are aware of this !!
I wouldn’t be so sure. Midfield has needed work for about 3 seasons! Left side is a liability and the “Norwood” position needs filling so Norwood doesn’t have so much pressure to perform every week in a league that may well be a step to far for him this time round.

Is it only me that thinks the goalkeeping department looks poor?.
Would like to see a decent proven or up and coming keeper added to the squad. Wes and Davies seem weak for a Premier league team.

Arnau Tenas is on a free, should be allover that

Back
Top Bottom