Player Suggestion Some new free agents to sniff at.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The_Green_Man

Slave to the NHS.
Reaction score
This lot have already been shipped out. I would rather us go for a good few younger, hungry players as opposed to old journeymen but may be a couple of interesting ones on there if we are looking for a blend of experience. Bold reds are ex Blades obviously.

Burnley - Matt Gilks, Matt Taylor, Lloyd Dyer, Danijel Nizic, Jason Gilchrist.

Blackburn - Tommy Spurr, Matt Kilgallon, Chris Taylor, Chris Brown, Lee Williamson, Nathan Delfouneso, Simon Eastwood Simeon Jackson.

Blackpool -
Emmerson Boyce ,Charles Dunne ,David Ferguson ,Connor Oliver ,Martin Paterson ,Jarrett Rivers.

Brighton - Gordon Greer, Bobby Zamora, Adam Chicksen, Inigo Calderon and Andrew Crofts.

Bolton - David Wheater, Emile Heskey, Paul Rachubka, Neil Danns, Stephen Dobbie, Oscar Threlkeld, Niall Maher.

Cardiff - Ben Turner, Kenwyne Jones, Joe Lewis, Filip Kiss, Etien Velikonja.

Charlton - Marco Motta, Reza Ghoochannejhad.

Derby County - Stephen Warnock, Connor Sammon.

Huddersfield -
Karim Matmour, Ishmael Miller, James Vaughan.

Leeds - Mirco Antenucci, Scott Wootton.

Preston - Neil Kilkenny, Chris Kirkland, Kyel Reid, Andy Little.

QPR - Samba Diakite, Oscar Gobern, Armand Traore, Yun Suk-young, Rob Green, defender Clint Hill and Alejandro Faurlin.

Rotherham United - Frazer Richardson, Lewis Buxton, Danny Collins, Lloyd Doyley, Adam Collin, Paddy Kenny, Alex Cairns, Paul Green, Emmanuel Ledesma, Jerome Thomas and Luciano Becchio.

Some very decent players there, you could easily put together a half decent Championship team. The problem in getting most of these is going to be wages. A lot of them are approaching 30, if not already the wrong side of, so chances are we'd need them to take a decent cut in wages.

The other issue is knowing which to go for. In the past we've been great at picking older players that are still more than capable of doing a job; Craig Short, Gary Speed, Stuart McCall. But you always run the risk of them been the next Hammond, great once upon a time, but now over the hill and just looking to pick up a wage.

Personally (if wages can be agreed) I wouldn't mind any of the following;

Lloyd Dyer
Gordon Greer
Bobby Zamora
Inigo Calderon
Ben Turner

Also think Duffy at Birmingham is worth a try as I can't see him being in their plans and he was decent for Burton this season.

If you're able to mix 3-4 from the above, with 3-4 young hungry league 1/2 players then you should have the making of a decent team.

Not bothered as long as we end up with some sort of team worth watching.

Jesus is right for every Craig Short in that list there are 3 Dean Hammond's.

I've always liked the look of Simeon Jackson and Vaughan if injury free would score plenty in division one.

Jesus is right for every Craig Short in that list there are 3 Dean Hammond's.

I've always liked the look of Simeon Jackson and Vaughan if injury free would score plenty in division one.

Problem is with Vaughan he is made of paper like Wallace. It would only be worth offering some form of appearance based contract but I can't imagine he'd accept something along those lines.

Definities: Joe Lewis, Tommy Spurr, Gordon Greer

Maybes: Matt Gilks, Simon Eastwood, Adam Chicksen, Ben Turner, David Wheater, Scott Wootton, Clint Hill, Oscar Gobern, Neil Danns, Lloyd Dyer

It's more than likely that the majority of our new players will come from League 2 over these past few years and registered in the Wilder's mind for the opportunity he's got now. Who is Wilder's scout? Did he spend loads of time searching the Championship/ Premier League? Probably not, League 1 yes no doubt.

As things stand we do not need any new strikers, we have five who are on contract and not transfer listed.

Couple of good older central defenders in the O.P. if the manager is looking for experience there, two old, two young may be the way forward.

Experienced playmaker/ vice captain/ organiser of midfield? Yes please. Hammond and Coutts have to be shifted a.s.a.p., let's not settle for immobile players.

Interesting point. Does Wilder have to shift a number of the seven transfer listed players before completing his squad or can he carry on regardless and the club worry about the seven wages if a number stick with us? Settlements of proportions of remaining wages on contracts would be the cleanest way forward so the manager can make progress unfettered.

Looking at the O.P. you can see the temptation to sign players of real quality but at the wrong stage of their careers. Yes some exceptional characters can still have the drive and ambition in later years but they are well known in the game and probably already snapped up. It helps if the manager has some sort of connection or relationship with one or two who might fancy linking up with him again, though even then time marches on as with Hammond.

I like the strategy outlined by McCabe and Wilder, let's stick to it as far as possible.

I'd personally like us to avoid repeating mistakes and offering big wages to players that are either too slow, injury prone, havent played enough football or winding down and half-arseing it.

That would rule out the majority of that list.

However, we have a lot of players to recruit therefore most if not all will have to be free transfers so off that list Joe Lewis & Oscar Gobern. The only problem being that both Cardiff and QPR have had a record of paying inflated wages and I suspect both players might receive Championship offers so maybe I'm confusing the type of markets we might be in.

Players on the way down can fuck off, unless they'd be a key player in the heart of the team and bring some genuine leadership we should only ever sign players who we can build a team with for the future. That should be our attitude every season, regardless of the situation.

No more ageing squad fillers and lazy short term mediocrity signings, THIS is what has killed us over the long term and the reason why in 16 years there's only been one season where the team has out performed the wage bill (2003).

This lot have already been shipped out. I would rather us go for a good few younger, hungry players as opposed to old journeymen but may be a couple of interesting ones on there if we are looking for a blend of experience. Bold reds are ex Blades obviously.

Blackburn - Tommy Spurr, Matt Kilgallon, Chris Taylor, Chris Brown, Lee Williamson, Nathan Delfouneso, Simon Eastwood Simeon Jackson.

Blackpool -
Emmerson Boyce ,Charles Dunne ,David Ferguson ,Connor Oliver ,Martin Paterson ,Jarrett Rivers.

Brighton - Gordon Greer, Bobby Zamora, Adam Chicksen, Inigo Calderon and Andrew Crofts.

Bolton - David Wheater, Emile Heskey, Paul Rachubka, Neil Danns, Stephen Dobbie, Oscar Threlkeld, Niall Maher.

Huddersfield -

QPR - Samba Diakite, Oscar Gobern, Armand Traore, Yun Suk-young, Rob Green, defender Clint Hill and Alejandro Faurlin.

Rotherham United - Frazer Richardson, Lewis Buxton, Danny Collins, Lloyd Doyley, Adam Collin, Paddy Kenny, Alex Cairns, Paul Green, Emmanuel Ledesma, Jerome Thomas and Luciano Becchio.

Off the top of my head, I'd have a look at - Gilks, Spurr, Jackson, Greer, Turner, Kilkenny, Gobern.

I'd personally like us to avoid repeating mistakes and offering big wages to players that are either too slow, injury prone, havent played enough football or winding down and half-arseing it.

That would rule out the majority of that list.

However, we have a lot of players to recruit therefore most if not all will have to be free transfers so off that list Joe Lewis & Oscar Gobern. The only problem being that both Cardiff and QPR have had a record of paying inflated wages and I suspect both players might receive Championship offers so maybe I'm confusing the type of markets we might be in.

yep, seems like it would be repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results

Matt Gilks, Tommy Spurr, Chris Taylor, Gordon Greer, Adam Chicksen, David Wheater, Stephen Warnock, Joe Lewis, Scott Wootton, Gobern, Traore and Faurlin would all improve us.

It's more than likely that the majority of our new players will come from League 2 over these past few years and registered in the Wilder's mind for the opportunity he's got now. Who is Wilder's scout? Did he spend loads of time searching the Championship/ Premier League? Probably not, League 1 yes no doubt.

As things stand we do not need any new strikers, we have five who are on contract and not transfer listed.

Couple of good older central defenders in the O.P. if the manager is looking for experience there, two old, two young may be the way forward.

Experienced playmaker/ vice captain/ organiser of midfield? Yes please. Hammond and Coutts have to be shifted a.s.a.p., let's not settle for immobile players.

Interesting point. Does Wilder have to shift a number of the seven transfer listed players before completing his squad or can he carry on regardless and the club worry about the seven wages if a number stick with us? Settlements of proportions of remaining wages on contracts would be the cleanest way forward so the manager can make progress unfettered.

Looking at the O.P. you can see the temptation to sign players of real quality but at the wrong stage of their careers. Yes some exceptional characters can still have the drive and ambition in later years but they are well known in the game and probably already snapped up. It helps if the manager has some sort of connection or relationship with one or two who might fancy linking up with him again, though even then time marches on as with Hammond.

I like the strategy outlined by McCabe and Wilder, let's stick to it as far as possible.
It's a mine field woody trawling through these out of contract players as we have found too our cost,there are some gold nougets and hopefully if Mr Wilder goes in for an experienced player or two he does the due diligence needed .More likely the recruits will come from the lower divisions but whatever !they have to be hungry for success ,often recently that hasn't been the case.I wish him the best of luck !! No reason why we can't have a shot at promotion this season if he gets his shopping right.

Definities: Joe Lewis, Tommy Spurr, Gordon Greer

Maybes: Matt Gilks, Simon Eastwood, Adam Chicksen, Ben Turner, David Wheater, Scott Wootton, Clint Hill, Oscar Gobern, Neil Danns, Lloyd Dyer

Eastwood was released by Oxford with a year left on his contract by Wilder.

We could do a lot worse than Scott Wootton, who's just been released by Leeds.

Predominantly a centre-back but can also fill in at full-back or as a ball-winning midfielder when needed. Only 24 and played most of his career at the level above so he'd come with a decent pedigree and a point to prove after not being offered a new deal at Elland Road.

My Leeds-supporting mates weren't keen on him after a poor season but everyone knows the circus that's going on up there and he's not the only one to have struggled as a result.

The same Leeds-supporting mates weren't fans of Tom Lees and were glad when they released him. Now Lees is excelling and has earned rave reviews at some other Yorkshire club.

Just a thought.

Blackpool -

Huddersfield -

"...Bold reds are ex Blades obviously. ...", Kilgallon in bold red then please! ;)

Some interesting names but the ones I have liked in the past, are all getting on a bit now.

Tommy Spurr and Chris Taylor from Blackburn would interest me. Some other good players on there but no way they'd end up at this level (Zamora, Green, Antennuci etc.)

For the record, I have never knowingly sniffed a free agent. In fact, I've only ever sniffed one player - James Beattie when I met him outside Piccolino's in town. Wearing some kind of cologne, of course, but fuck knows what.

Back
Top Bottom