So what's the problem NC ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The problem is we are buying defensive midfielders and defenders that are all static lumps on free transfers, no attacker with a bit of flair, they may be hard working in NC eyes, but unless we build our squad around a bit of quality, there is no way for promotion, we will be fighting for 8th spot.

Whilst a lot of the signings have been 'free transfers' they are only classed as such due to the Bosman ruling. Other than that I'm pretty sure their clubs would have been looking for a significant fee for the majority of them. It used to be the case that a 'free transfer' suggested that the original club desperately wanted rid of a player, but thanks to the EU that no longer applies.

Personally I think that we'll see a new striker after the Premiership teams have to name their squads, whenever that is?

The problem is we are buying defensive midfielders and defenders that are all static lumps on free transfers, no attacker with a bit of flair, they may be hard working in NC eyes, but unless we build our squad around a bit of quality, there is no way for promotion, we will be fighting for 8th spot.

yes, like JCR, Mcnulty and Wallace to some extent, even Davies who appears to be starting RB/LB in Friendlies but bombs forward and chips in with goals and set pieces. All defenders and defensive midfielders, obviously.

yes, like JCR, Mcnulty and Wallace to some extent, even Davies who appears to be starting RB/LB in Friendlies but bombs forward and chips in with goals and set pieces. All defenders and defensive midfielders, obviously.

Where in my statement did I say "only buying defensive midfielders and defenders"?

JCR has pace and he is losing that, McNulty looks like Lyle Taylor, and look what happened there.

They look nothing alike.

marc_mcnulty.jpg

We blatantly need a proven striker but seem unwilling to pay what it takes to bring one in. All this guff about "the right man" is wearing thin - of course we want the right man but if we won't pay the going rate it's not going to happen. Despite the Prince's funds, our big crowds last season and the cup semi, all but one of the players we have brought in have been free signings. It seems to me little has changed investment wise.

Where the bleeding hell does this myth come from, that transfer fees = more investment, therefore no transfer fees = no investment? In pre-seasons past, we'd have brought in sod all players at this point and probably sold a couple of the best players cheaply to balance the books. Now that sounds like a club in need of investment. This time round 7 or 8 in, dross out, and no players sold, unless we get what we think they're worth. A drastic contrast with previous summers, a big improvement and plenty of proof that investment is there.

Where the bleeding hell does this myth come from, that transfer fees = more investment, therefore no transfer fees = no investment? In pre-seasons past, we'd have brought in sod all players at this point and probably sold a couple of the best players cheaply to balance the books. Now that sounds like a club in need of investment. This time round 7 or 8 in, dross out, and no players sold, unless we get what we think they're worth. A drastic contrast with previous summers, a big improvement and plenty of proof that investment is there.

but we havent spent 10m on a striker, so clearly we have no invesment.

I'm down lane with my shoes off.

The thing is, I understand the argument about Clough not paying over the odds, and being thrifty, but at the end of the day, if you take that attitude today you end up with
Chris Porter as your starting striker again.... Oh wait.

I understand not wanting to pay over the odds, unfortunately you pay over the odds for every decent player nowadays. So the choice is stick to your principles and keep your squad refusing to budge, pay more tha you think a player is worth (but have that player on your team!), or try and find a young cheap striker who you get lucky with.

Ofcourse if you want a proven scorer, option B is the only way in english football in 2014.

The current team's form from Christmas onward last season would have gotten us promoted if replicated :confused:
I think most would agree that 3 really instrumental players in that run were McGuire, Coady and Brayford. It's likely that none of those will be here next years, and the replacements won't be anything like as good.

UTB

I think most would agree that 3 really instrumental players in that run were McGuire, Coady and Brayford. It's likely that none of those will be here next years, and the replacements won't be anything like as good.

UTB
Yet the squad is significantly stronger in depth, which is probably ultimately why we feel short during those last few weeks.
Plus currently Harry is still here.

The thing is, I understand the argument about Clough not paying over the odds, and being thrifty, but at the end of the day, if you take that attitude today you end up with
Chris Porter as your starting striker again.... Oh wait.

I understand not wanting to pay over the odds, unfortunately you pay over the odds for every decent player nowadays. So the choice is stick to your principles and keep your squad refusing to budge, pay more tha you think a player is worth (but have that player on your team!), or try and find a young cheap striker who you get lucky with.

Ofcourse if you want a proven scorer, option B is the only way in english football in 2014.

I'm convinced we will pay over the odds, just as soon as someone buys Harry for over the odds.

Yet the squad is significantly stronger in depth, which is probably ultimately why we feel short during those last few weeks.

I'd have to disagree there. We fell short because Coady, Brayford and Maguire were missing (in one form or another) at the start of last season. I don't think we've signed the quality to match those, and I think Maguire will be gone come KO. Our squad depth was a factor last season, but I think we luckily got away with it.

Having said all the above, the sale of Maguire should allow for the acqusition of a good forward - and I think the reality is we don't have the resource for one right now.

UTB

It is all well and good having more depth to the squad but you can only play 11 players at the start of the game. I would certainly question if our starting 11 is good enough to reach the play offs, without a proven goalscorer we have no chance of making the top two. Sad to say it but Porter and a young prospect from Scotland leave us well short at the business end.

UTB

Coady ? I thought the flitted in and out of games and did not play as well as some are making out. I thought Flynn,Scougall and Murphy were far more important and influential to the team.

Coady ? I thought the flitted in and out of games and did not play as well as some are making out. I thought Flynn,Scougall and Murphy were far more important and influential to the team.

Not for me - he was shite at the start of the season and a key player for us at the end. Granted, the players you mentioned also contributred massively, but I'm yet to be convinced that the players we've signed have the quality of those we've lost, and are likely to lose.

As Metal points out, squad depth is good, but you can only field 11 players.

UTB

It is all well and good having more depth to the squad but you can only play 11 players at the start of the game. I would certainly question if our starting 11 is good enough to reach the play offs, without a proven goalscorer we have no chance of making the top two. Sad to say it but Porter and a young prospect from Scotland leave us well short at the business end.
Who did we have better upfront last season?

The point is, we were the fourth lowest scorers in the division last season (which is shocking) and apart from McNulty - who is unproven and therefore a bit of a gamble - we have done nothing to address this. Even during our good run at the end of last season, the lack of fire-power made it much more difficult to win games than it should have been. A proven goalscorer has been our number one priority for ages. If Clough has someone lined up, fine - but we are leaving it late - and it wouldn't be the first time we've been left disappointed when we fully expect someone to come in but nobody does.

As for the rest of the squad - yes, we have greater numbers - but I'm not sure they are of the same quality as Brayford & Coady.

Miller and Taylor are both better than porter imo,but what do i know,i'm not cloughy am i.Both of them 2 players are far better than Porter and granted time just like Porter got,would have been better options.Aslong as we get the goalscorer required though i'll be happy,aug 9th will be the day to judge.

We're supposed to have enquired about a striker playing i Norway a couple of weeks ago, which shows that we're looking abroad as well.

what an apathetic lot we have on here hav"nt kicked a ball in anger and written off by some already.
even if we dont sign a striker or two before the big kick( and i like you lot know we need at least one)
cloughie had made us very dificult to beat and that is where we start this season he has added quality
and strength in most areas just upfront where HE KNOWS were short its obviouse he"s working on this
and will get who he wants.
in the meantime we will still be just as hard to beat but with added quality in most areas.ime sure
what cloughie built last season will give us a platform to go from.
LETS HAVE SOME PATIENCE AND BELEAVE IN WHAT HE IS TRYING TO BUILD

Am I the only one who thinks Baxter will be ahead of Porter? He was the first choice striker when we went on our unbeaten run wasn't he?

I also expect McNulty to be contesting with Baxter as first choice with Porter, in current thinking, being 3rd choice? Or is Porter now first choice all of a sudden? What have i missed? I know he's featured in the friendlies, but so have plenty of the other players on the margin.

I think the 2011/12 proved you NEED a 20 goal a season man look at the top 4 that season.

Charlton BWP 22 goals
Pigs Washing machine 18 goals
Blades Ch%d 29 goals
Udders Rhodes 36 goals

Top 2 went up and 3rd and 4th contested the playoff final. I really can not see where our goals are coming from. We can not risk unproven strikers plus Porter and Baxter chipping in. Personally i would take one good goalscorer even if it meant no more signings.

Back
Top Bottom