Sitting in the home stand at away games

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Who went to Luton on Boxing Day 1990 when they had the ban on away supporters due to that idiot chairman they had at the time? Deano scored the only goal of the game, and if you look on the tv coverage on YouTube, there must be at least 500 blades in the stand behind the goal celebrating!

As for going in the home stand, Mansfield in the cup and Everton away (when Marwood scored the winner) come to mind for me...
I was at the Luton game, but not behind the goal. Also been in the home end at Derby, Tranmere and Grimsby. No bother at any but kept quiet. They were all years ago and I doubt I'd do it again to be honest.
A bit off topic but being in the home end at Burnley was fun when they were playing Hull who needed to win by 3 goals to go up instead of us. And didn't. Guess though I was in the right end since I was a Burnley fan for the day! Terrace opposite was United fans. Very weird, 3 sets of supporters at one game..Good night had by the Blades!....UTB

Just to name a few Norwich away when they beat us in the cup3.2, Exeter away last match of the Season under Wilson. But the best has to be wolves away in 89 when both teams needed a point for promotion and drew 2,2.

been in plenty of home ends as an away supporter, had to play the bluffing game at Reading when i was chatting to the chap next to me and he was asking awkward questions like 'were you at the Wigan game the other midweek, coming to the next home game and where is McDermott going wrong with his defensive shape?!' :eek:

in the home end at Stockport and Stoke was a bit lairy for me..

just have to keep the emotions all zipped inside and do a bit of this... the old clenched fists in pockets routine!! :D

tumblr_m40xw4yuT41ruxixno1_r1_500.jpg

its a strangely satisfying feeling after you walk out especially if you've got the result, like you've snuck into their manor and nicked the 'flag'!!

Millwall (my local ground at the time), October 2005, promotion season. Blades won 4-0. I sat on my hands the whole match. By the end of the game there was only me and a handful of home fans left in the stand I was in, and ironically, it was assumed I was a real genuine Millwall fan as I had stayed to the end. The Blades fans were going mad at the away end but of course were kept in for half an hour or so, by which time I my feet up at home. Great performance. Pericard and Webber were our front two, with Kabba and Shipperley on the bench.

Grunters north stand lost 3-1!!

Leicester promotion season.. On their terracing ... More blades than home fans it seemed..

Trammere.... On their main stand with a Tranny(!!) mate... 2-0 down.. I said it would all change once big Tri came on.. His first touch he fell over the ball!!.. We pulled it back to 2-2.. We hit the bar.. It looped up in the air and in steamed big Tri for the wimner!!!... I jumped up slipped over the row of chairs in front.. Turned round gave the rods to my mate... I looked up and king Keith was in the commentary box pissing himself watching me!!

Millwall (my local ground at the time), October 2005, promotion season. Blades won 4-0. I sat on my hands the whole match. By the end of the game there was only me and a handful of home fans left in the stand I was in, and ironically, it was assumed I was a real genuine Millwall fan as I had stayed to the end. The Blades fans were going mad at the away end but of course were kept in for half an hour or so, by which time I my feet up at home. Great performance. Pericard and Webber were our front two, with Kabba and Shipperley on the bench.

With the greatest respect you were one of the "forty c**** sat in a stand".

I go in the Port Vale Home end whenever we play them there with my Vale supporting Bro in law and his mates, and he'll be sat with us at the Lane next home game.They're not a bad lot to be honest, although in fairness we've been pretty crap there so often in recent years (last season being the worst of the lot IMO), that they could afford to be magnanimous with me.

They weren't quite as welcoming in Harry Bassett's days mind, and for some reason, one or two of them still seem a bit miffed with us after we beat them to promotion and still see us as their rivals.

I've been in a few other clubs home ends over the years, not because of any mischief but just going along with their fans who were workmates and friends of friends etc. I've been welcomed at some and not so much at others. The Liverpool clubs were very different. I had a great time in the home end at Everton, we even won when I went and yet I never once felt threatened. At Anfield though, we weren't even playing them, they were playing against West Brom, but once they found out I didn't support them, some acted like numpties. Nothing to my face, vile things like gobbing on my back and I left before half-time. That was in the 80's but to be honest, the home fans behind us weren't much better when we played them in the League Cup semi a few years ago, the cheeky chappie football loving Scouser a myth, on the red side of the city anyway.

I was at the Luton game, but not behind the goal. Also been in the home end at Derby, Tranmere and Grimsby. No bother at any but kept quiet. They were all years ago and I doubt I'd do it again to be honest.
A bit off topic but being in the home end at Burnley was fun when they were playing Hull who needed to win by 3 goals to go up instead of us. And didn't. Guess though I was in the right end since I was a Burnley fan for the day! Terrace opposite was United fans. Very weird, 3 sets of supporters at one game..Good night had by the Blades!....UTB

I was at Burnley that night. Proper nail chewing evening that for once went out way.

Who went to Luton on Boxing Day 1990 when they had the ban on away supporters due to that idiot chairman they had at the time? Deano scored the only goal of the game, and if you look on the tv coverage on YouTube, there must be at least 500 blades in the stand behind the goal celebrating!

As for going in the home stand, Mansfield in the cup and Everton away (when Marwood scored the winner) come to mind for me...
Me and my dad were there. An ex-workmate who is a Luton fan and was a member of that Membership scheme got me tickets for the stand where the tv gantry is. He made me promise not to cheer a Blades goal but we did cheer when Deane scored!

Sat amongst the mancs at old Trafford in the cup earlier this year, and they were on a terrible streak of form,and Adkins had just been given manager of the month.
The most timid bunch, nervous set of fans to be sat amongst.
When fucking Hammond gave that penalty away, it was like being sat amongst a thousand prisoners on there vinegar strokes.

With the greatest respect you were one of the "forty c**** sat in a stand".
Good night that. And amusing as it became thirty, then twenty etc...Someone referred to it on here afterwards (in the days when posters were a little more polite lol) as the 4 tea cups chant!..Fair play to Newbury by the way..UTB

I am proud to state that I have never SAT in an opposition stand except for Pigs when I was invited as a guest into the directors box in the Jack Charlton era. I have stood on the Gelderd End. I have stood on that poxy crumbling concrete tip Pigs call a kop. I have stood on The Kippax and most memorably for being freetened, strangely enough on Oldham's home terracing

Steel city semi final. I lived in Wembley and worked at the stadium on match days nights part time. Saw all the finals and England games in the early 90s. So when the steel ciy semi final cames around i had to take a chance on which end i would be put. We always worked within sight of the pitch in the gangways. When the day came, i was put in the turnstile (never hsppened before) and when the gates opened i realised it was the Wendy end. Gutted. Though I enjoyed refusing entry to fans offering cash, though i was tempted.
Heard them score. More gutted. Let out of the turnstile after half an hour. Asked if i could watch the game. 'Yes but stay in this area'. 'Seriously?' S##t. Stood by gangway behind the goal at wendy end. The original beard scores. I go nuts. Wendy fan attacks me. I get thrown out by police. Yes, i get thrown out. Not good for a steward to be fighting a fan i guess. Walking back gome i hear the crowd roar. Another goal. Start running to get back home only to find out that they had won. Proper gutted. Get a call from the steward company. 'Where is your bib' (they count them out and back in). Told the boss to stick it. Never worked there again.

Wolves, Oldham, Pigs, Carlisle, Wigan, Brentford, Luton, Rotherham, over 40 years of following the Blades I have found myself sitting or standing in places that were my second choice.

And as above Wembley 1993 in the roof six row seats above the pigs.

Sat in the home stand at away matches..... Chelsea September 1973 (on their Shed), Milwall c.1980 or 1981 won 4-0, Liverpool for the League cup semi 2nd leg 2002/03, Man City 2006/07, Bolton 2006/07.

Must be more before segregation.

Wolves, Oldham, Pigs, Carlisle, Wigan, Brentford, Luton, Rotherham, over 40 years of following the Blades I have found myself sitting or standing in places that were my second choice.

And as above Wembley 1993 in the roof six row seats above the pigs.
One of my pics 1993 SUFC V pigs
img060.jpg

When I lived in Sheffield never.

Now I have a Kent postcode and can't get a ticket then yes. I've said before I do try and blend in, chesterfield last year dressed as a thick farmer, scunthorpe just thick and I'd rather not describe how I got into the Withdean all those years ago.

Also youthfulness saw me at Highbury celebrating as the prematch ale kicked in and Gillingham in a corporate box saw my over aled celebrations mean I was asked to leave.

Now i use the points of others, they earn the points I get the tickets. Works well and I've no need to use fancy dress..

Low fields terrace at Leeds on the wrong side of the fence next to the Blades fans. Never been stood with so many vile animals before. It made thing a bit easier for me that we played shite. Blade got toned 4 nowt.

Sat with the grunters on 3 occasions when for some reason couldn't get a ticket for the Leppings Lane end. Remember the night match (91/2?) after we had beaten them 2-0 at the lane. 3 of us in our mid 20s got North Stand tickets in the top corner near the Blades fans. It was made worse when an old piggy mate spotted us before kick off wanting to know what we were doing there. Needn't have worried though. 5 minutes in and Dane put us one up and about 500+ blades leapt into the air. We were in great company for a fabulous night

Watched from a few home ends away but the only time I had trouble was when I lived in Oxford in the early eighties, think we drew, anyway my flat mate was a Tranmere fan and it was pay on the day standing so we finished up in the Oxford end after the pub. So everything is going well until my mate catches a fist in the side of his head and a shout goes up there’s only one barmy army, Blades hoolies kick off, Oxford fans surge back surprised, I am fighting Blades hoolies trying to drag my mate out of boot range. Fortunately the Oxford fans got their shit together and charged back in superior numbers giving me and my mate time to scurry down to the front and away from danger. Funny old game.

Sat in the home end at Maine road many moons ago, may have been a boxing day or xmas time fixture - anyway Deano scored and some of my brave friends went berserk celebrating in front of the city fans - then it got disallowed

Been in loads of Home ends at away games. Got thumped at Leeds, I was the single Blade with loads of Leeds about 1967. Got a right kicking at Ayresome Park 1971, the year of our promotion drew 1-1 near the end of the season. We "took" their end and then about 3pm they came piling in. Didn't shift us though

Can't wait for the Bradford game on Saturday now although how I'll be able to keep my emotions on check if we go 1 up never mind 3 or 4!!!! ;)

Watched us play at Old Trafford in the home end. 3 of us were in the seats behind our lot. The Mancs won 2-0 I think, so loads of theirs left before the end. On the final whistle we walked to the front of the stand to clap the team as they came over to clap our support but loads of Blades thought we were Mancs taking the piss and we got coined so had to leg it !

I have seen us from the home end at Norwich (twice), Liverpool, Preston, Villa, Man City, and at the Sty. In each case save for Anfield I went with mates who were fans of the home team.

Only had trouble at Anfield. Went to our 2-1 win there in 1994 at the last minute with a couple of (neutral) mates who were seeing 7 games in 7 days. Stood on the Kop as our end was a sell out.

Everything went fine until we equalised. I made the mistake of celebrating. Next thing I knew I was 10 yards further down the terracing, having been shoved there by a group of teenage Liverpool fans. They baited me until Flo put us in front, at which point I said nothing whatsoever. They (and everyone else around us) left early, so I was able to celebrate our first away win of the season unmolested at the final whistle.

In these days of having to get tickets in advance one of the things that newer fans might not experience as much is seeing games at different grounds not involving your team by just showing up on the day. I've lived in various UK cities and did this a number of times, or I used to go to other local grounds when United weren't playing. Sometimes you see a good game (my all time favourite as a neutral - Cambridge 4 Huddersfield 5 in 1994, featuring a Phil Starbuck hattrick, no less) and it's nice to see live football without worrying about it! This seems to be dying out, in the same way that crowds have become more partisan. People used to applaud at the Lane if the opposition scored a really good goal. That's rare now.

Last edited:
Sat in the south stand at Leeds we were losing 4.0 ,and the Leeds fans were singing let's all laugh at Sheffield it was humiliating .we some how managed to drag it back to 4.3 in the second half ,and I thought iam quite prepared to lose a limb if this 4th one goes in .

Twice that I recall. At Elland Road in 1991 when we were 4-0 down and pulled it back to 4-3. I was sat with my best mate at school at the time who was a Leeds season ticket holder. At half-time I was sick but by 90 minutes I was struggling to keep the enthusiasm in check and the home crowd had gone very quiet!
Then at Luton Town during the promotion season when we were already promoted and drew 1-1. I remember cheering our goal and some home supporters asking how on Earth we'd got promoted because we were so shit. We played in 1st gear that game, no surprise probably due to the celebrating that had been done in the past week but we still didn't lose.

I was a student in Manchester the premier league season in 2006. Tickets to Man City then were £5 for students. Sat in the home end but literally about 3 seats from all the blades fans and got stick from you lot the entire match.
0-0 in the end but I was worried I wouldn't have been able to control myself if united scored.

Back
Top Bottom