Should we have held on for Extra time?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No we did right to try to win in normal time, if it had gone to extra time we would have gone back to being a goal down due to away goals and would have needed to score again just to draw level.

I think to get to extra time against them,with the crowd finally kicking in could've been very interesting indeed,if we'd have kept our shape while they were absolutely bricking it,i personally think we could've done em.

No we did right to try to win in normal time, if it had gone to extra time we would have gone back to being a goal down due to away goals and would have needed to score again just to draw level.
We'd have had to score again to win it metal!

Personally, I wouldn't have wanted extra time. We tried, if Reed's shot was a few inches lower, we would have won. A valiant effort to make a Cup final, however the toll on our players could have killed our chances on Sat.

For me, no. As unlikely as it was, I thought it made sense to capitalise on the momentum we'd created (and chaos we'd caused at the back for Spurs) and try and nick the third. Reed's effort was so close, and had Basham been fractionally quicker to the ball ahead of Vorm he might have scored (or been taken out for a penalty). That said, I don't think we'd have necessarily rolled over in extra time - but you'd expect with a bit more time Spurs would have gotten their act back together.

No regrets, We took them all the way and drew at home to champions league contenders. Can't fault a thing tonight.... We scored more goals than them from open play, one of their goals on the night the best keeper in the world couldn't save and their other came at a time like against hull we had nothing to lose and went for the win. My only grumble would be why Howard wasn't on the halfway line or further for the last few minutes of time

Glad it didn't go to extra time too, as it was I just got back to Handsworth to see a BMW skid to the left over correct skid to the right over correct again and shoot off Retford road ........................ luckily he shot into someone's empty driveway no damage done except to his pride LOL

Personally, I wouldn't have wanted extra time. We tried, if Reed's shot was a few inches lower, we would have won. A valiant effort to make a Cup final, however the toll on our players could have killed our chances on Sat.
The Reed shot was key, a foot lower and we'd have done it, in my opinion, gallant losers again.

I'm rooting for Spurs in the final.

How can anyone possibly say that after how that game went,we wouldn't want extra time and a chance to get to a final,it never seises to amaze me this site.

I think what's propably happening is some are happy with the effort put in and that's that.I think it's pathetic and would have loved the chance to play them in extra time,to give us a great chance to get to a final in our lifetimes.All this players being bollocksed is bullshit,we have a very large squad now and have more than enough in reserves if one or two players was to get injured or be knacked for the next game.Never mind,league one it is,fuck extra time:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I can't blame the lads for going for the victory in normal time, as until Eriksen got their second we had the momentum, but perhaps we should have calmed it down, gone for the extra 30 minutes?
My words exactly. We had the momentum but we should've held on till extra time let them think this is what they needed then hit them last 10 mins. But the FK was a worldy no question it was a goal to grace any game!

How can anyone possibly say that after how that game went,we wouldn't want extra time and a chance to get to a final,it never seises to amaze me this site.

I think what's propably happening is some are happy with the effort put in and that's that.I think it's pathetic and would have loved the chance to play them in extra time,to give us a great chance to get to a final in our lifetimes.All this players being bollocksed is bullshit,we have a verg large squad now and have more than enough in reserves if one or two players was to get injured or be knacked for the next game.Never mind,league one it is,fuck extra time:rolleyes:
Wiz I spoke to a yid an he said fitness would av told?! I said "bullshit" every pro footballer should be as fit as the next doesn't matter where they play!! If ur fit ur fit if ur not ur not.

I can't blame the lads for going for the victory in normal time, as until Eriksen got their second we had the momentum, but perhaps we should have calmed it down, gone for the extra 30 minutes?

Highbury , yes no fault and no blame.

Beaten by 2 pieces of football class from Erikson , which even with red and white tinted glasses , you have to applaud.

hindsight and opinions are what football is all about.

Another important game on Saturday , but every game , whoever we are playing , is important until the season ends.

In a way , glad we didn't have extra time , the players worked so hard , there wasn't much left in the tank .

SUFC did us all proud , and deserve recognition by all associated with the game of football.

It would have been great to go to Wembley in the final , but realistically playing Chelski imo would have been a step too far .

I am sure the Bradford result against Swansea in the final , may have cost them promotion. To carryon building as a club , the priority has to be , to get out of league 1.

Life is all about memories , whatever age you are , and the blades are now providing good ones.

UTB

I think what's propably happening is some are happy with the effort put in and that's that.I think it's pathetic and would have loved the chance to play them in extra time,to give us a great chance to get to a final in our lifetimes.All this players being bollocksed is bullshit,we have a verg large squad now and have more than enough in reserves if one or two players was to get injured or be knacked for the next game.Never mind,league one it is,fuck extra time:rolleyes:

Wiz , forget ifs , buts ,and maybes . We were beaten by 2 pieces of football class , whether in normal time or in extra time, makes nodifferance . We went for it , thats the main thing .

We move on to the next game , which has the same level of importance.

To get out of league 1 is the 100% priority for SUFC and all associated.

We all see things differently , have opinions , but at last , the feel good factor and bragging rights are coming back to S2.

Just think and digest -

SWFC 0 Birmingham 0 . Attendance 18,000.

Reason for not winning and playing crap - the pitch .

How many in the stadium at full time 3000

UTB

I agree we did right to go for the win in 90 minutes and fine lines decided it.

Looking closely at the highlights ( good ones on I-Player) Reed suffered a cruel bobble but he is a young lad who had a bit of time and I think he just blasted it when a bit more craft would have been more effective. No criticism whatsoever for the young lad, he was brave to get there and he will score those for fun in a few years time.

The Erikson equaliser was a great move started by Walker to Strombolli in a congested midfield where our lads were working very hard. Strombolli to Kane, wonderful pass to Erikson who was in on goal and didn't even need to take a touch. Defensively Basham unfortunately turned the wrong way when retreating and lost a fraction of a second and got nowhere near his man who got between him and Flynn who was on his heels and probably a little too high up the field. Therefore Flynn was out of the equation when he possibly could have provided more cover. It was the type of goal which top teams can score and they would have got more if we had played in attacking mode all night; there lies the rub when you are trying to win the game. Great goal and not really anybody's fault unless you have the view that all goals should have been defended better. If Spurs had been providing more of a threat at that time of the game our defence would have been more on alert but it came out of the blue as I remember the action.

In the final analysis moments like Erikson provided justify his salary and how his contribution affected last night's result. Obviously Spurs had a couple of other chances but the finishing of their other players was poor. Our other big chance came early on when Scougall tipped the ball for Murphy whose poor finish was hacked of the line. That was our best chance of the night but credit the two Spurs defenders on the line who combined with a desperate keeper to make the target small; he should have scored though.. The key thing about Reeds effort is that the timing would have been almost perfect for a 3-1 win , 3-2 on aggregate. We would have defended that in numbers.

Fine lines indeed.

Just seen the Reed effort on TV, so close, but the goal was gaping to the keepers right. Can't fault him for cracking it, but what a chance.

Superb effort 2nd half Blades. 1st half they controlled the game, locked us out and nulled the crowd. 2nd half we came out fighting. For me we didn't get it to jcr enough 1st half. He was wide open several times.

You just can't help think what if Reed had nailed it.......

Cut shins
Racing heart
Broken wallet
Overdraft extension
'Weekend away with lads' discussion with the wife

I am sure the Bradford result against Swansea in the final , may have cost them promotion. To carryon building as a club , the priority has to be , to get out of league 1.

Not really because they went on to win the play offs that season, beating Northampton 3-0 in the final.

I was hoping for extra time but in honesty we would have probably only had about 8 or 9 men standing by then looking at how shattered they all were. I think it was right to try and win it in the 90 minutes, and if Reed or Scougall's shots had been better we may have done it.

I think you'd of really struggled with extra time, not only would the pressure then be on you to try and get the goal but we'd of almost certainly had the legs on you. Our teams fitness since Pochettino has come in is truly ridiculous, as in we're able to press high all game and still seem to have the energy to run circles around most other PL teams in the last 10 minutes. I think you did the right thing and with a bit of fortune you may be in the final now!

No! You've got a massively important game on Saturday, and we are relying on you lot. But have you got much left in the tank for this weekend?

Well done on all the cup heroics, by the way. Well impressed.

Just seen the Reed effort on TV, so close, but the goal was gaping to the keepers right. Can't fault him for cracking it, but what a chance.

Superb effort 2nd half Blades. 1st half they controlled the game, locked us out and nulled the crowd. 2nd half we came out fighting. For me we didn't get it to jcr enough 1st half. He was wide open several times.

You just can't help think what if Reed had nailed it.......

Cut shins
Racing heart
Broken wallet
Overdraft extension
'Weekend away with lads' discussion with the wife

Looks like they saved you some real hassle there.

I think you'd of really struggled with extra time, not only would the pressure then be on you to try and get the goal but we'd of almost certainly had the legs on you. Our teams fitness since Pochettino has come in is truly ridiculous, as in we're able to press high all game and still seem to have the energy to run circles around most other PL teams in the last 10 minutes. I think you did the right thing and with a bit of fortune you may be in the final now!

If were to fail I'm relieved you got the equalizer, winning 2-1 and going out on the away goal would have been too much to take.

Wiz , forget ifs , buts ,and maybes . We were beaten by 2 pieces of football class , whether in normal time or in extra time, makes nodifferance . We went for it , thats the main thing .

We move on to the next game , which has the same level of importance.

To get out of league 1 is the 100% priority for SUFC and all associated.

We all see things differently , have opinions , but at last , the feel good factor and bragging rights are coming back to S2.

Just think and digest -

SWFC 0 Birmingham 0 . Attendance 18,000.

Reason for not winning and playing crap - the pitch .

How many in the stadium at full time 3000

UTB
15,000 left by the end of their game? Really?

I didn't use ifs mate.My point was i wanted us to take them to extra time and have a chance of getting to a final,it isn't hindsight either as i said it straight after our second goal to everyone around me.I appreciate yours and other peoples views but i honestly can't see the point in not wanting to take a team to extra time,when we might not ever get a better chance of a cup final for years to come.We lost our shape big time and you can't afford to do that against that calibre of player.

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing. We went for it and got caught. They way they were cutting through us in the first half who is to say that we wouldn't have got cut apart had we stood off them a yard.

It is what it is, no shame in last night and I am amazed anyone can look to criticise a single player, manager or coach. We should be proud how we played against hundreds of millions of pounds of Premiership talent and almost beat them.

I didn't use ifs mate.My point was i wanted us to take them to extra time and have a chance of getting to a final,it isn't hindsight either as i said it straight after our second goal to everyone around me.I appreciate yours and other peoples views but i honestly can't see the point in not wanting to take a team to extra time,when we might not ever get a better chance of a cup final for years to come.We lost our shape big time and you can't afford to do that against that calibre of player.

We did the right thing to keep attacking them- we had the momentum going for us and easing off would have allowed them to regroup and contain us, and with extra time being worth double for away goals for them they had would have had the advantage not us.

I don't think people are actually saying they didn't want extra time as such Wiz. I think most people, and I was certainly thinking it last night, is that we had our BEST chance by scoring a winner whilst they were confused and the momentum was with us (as exemplified by Reed getting the chance for the third).
They were the better team for almost all the game and regaining their composure during the break before ET would (probably, in my view) have swung the advantage back to them.

I was gutted we didn't take it to extra time but we still had to score and that period straight after the second went in was the time to do it.

Back
Top Bottom