Sheffield United - Team of the 2010s XI

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bricktop

Reaction score
I was having a think about this, and honestly struggled to make a team out of all the assorted shit that has passed through the club this decade

GK - George Long. Only gets the nod as the other custodians have been even worse.
RB - Matthew Lowton. A decent right back, solid defensively, and excellent going forward. Sold
LB - Bob Harris. The best of a very poor bunch
CD - John Brayford. Have to play him out of position as all the other candidates are even worse. Basically Colllins or Nosworthy have been the regulars
CD - Harry Maguire. The best and most promising defender. Sold
RM - Lee Williamson. Selected on the back of one good season. Couldn't afford to retain his services
LM - Jamie Murphy. Had one good 18 month spell. Sold
CM - Stephen Quinn. A quality player on his day, Sold
CM - Kevin MacDonald. Too good for us. Eventually Sold
S - Ched Evans. Had one awesome season. Jailed
S - Billy Sharp. The only other player we have had in this time frame who could be classed as a goal scorer.

Couldn't even begin to pick some subs.

It perfectly illustrates to me how poor we are now, and how poor we have been for the last 5 years

I was having a think about this, and honestly struggled to make a team out of all the assorted shit that has passed through the club this decade

GK - George Long. Only gets the nod as the other custodians have been even worse.
RB - Matthew Lowton. A decent right back, solid defensively, and excellent going forward. Sold
CD - John Brayford. Have to play him out of position as all the other candidates are even worse. Basically Colllins or Nosworthy have been the regulars
RM - Lee Williamson. Selected on the back of one good season. Couldn't afford to retain his services
S - Billy Sharp. The only other player we have had in this time frame who could be classed as a goal scorer.

It perfectly illustrates to me how poor we are now, and how poor we have been for the last 5 years

6 of them sold :s

Kilgallon played a couple of games in Jan 2010,. you could include him :)

MacDonald was a good player but he didn't shoot. I'd have done my best to fit Blackman in there somewhere, really liked him as a player. Direct and not afraid to beat a man, a lot like Adams in many ways which is why I've rated him highly from the get go.

Last edited:
Could've been...

Long

Lowton Maguire Burn Harris

Coady McDonald Quinn

Blackman Evans Aluko

Subs: Simonsen, Brayford, Williamson, Bunn, Murphy, Sharp, Vaz Te.

I don't forget the players we were linked with and could've easily signed. Even more depressing to think about.

Could've also got Antonio before Wednesday and who knows what Diego would've done had he not got that injury. James Wallace too.

Can't even remember us being linked with a decent goalkeeper or left back.

MacDonald was a good player but he didn't shoot. I'd have done my best to fit Blackman in there somewhere, really liked him as a player. Direct and not afraid to beat a man, a lot like Adams in many ways which is why I've rated him highly from the get go.

Blackman started like a house on fire, and then suddenly went off the boil a few weeks in to the season and never really recaptured his form after that.

At the time i thought we had done well to get £1.25m for him from a Premiership club on the back of what he had achieved with his, and the strength of a couple of decent months.

Could've been...

Long

Lowton Maguire Burn Harris

Coady McDonald Quinn

Blackman Evans Aluko

Subs: Simonsen, Brayford, Williamson, Bunn, Murphy, Sharp, Vaz Te.

I don't forget the players we were linked with and could've easily signed. Even more depressing to think about.

Could've also got Antonio before Wednesday and who knows what Diego would've done had he not got that injury. James Wallace too.

Can't even remember us being linked with a decent goalkeeper or left back.

No point in talking about what ifs.

If you really want me to depress you, instead of talking about the what ifs, lets talk about some reality

GK Simonsen
RB Westlake
CD Collins
CD Nosworthy
LB Williams
RM Brandy
CM Hammond
CM Doyle
LM McFadzean
S Sammon
S Bogdanovich

And that is just off the top of my head.

Lescinel Jean Francois would be my left back - thought he did ok before he got injured.

left back must be our worst position in recent history? I'm thinking...

Jordan Stewart
Marcus Williams
Andy Taylor
Matt Hill
Jay McEverley

Worst team out of all our decade teams?

Done some proper research. Because I feel no point in doing it half hearted. I learnt that looked at 6 season squads I couldn't find 1 LB to shortlist its that bad. But on the other hand we've had some fantastic CMs had tough decisions as had 9 players for 2 spots. gone 4231 because had to find players to fit system

_________________ G Long

J Brayford -- C Morgan -- H Maguire -- M Lowton

-------- N Montgomery -- K McDonald

----- S Quinn ------ A Reid -------- J Murphy

_______________ B Sharp

Subs M Hill K Bartley BH Riise G Speed M Doyle M McNulty H Camara

Done some proper research. Because I feel no point in doing it half hearted. I learnt that looked at 6 season squads I couldn't find 1 LB to shortlist its that bad. But on the other hand we've had some fantastic CMs had tough decisions as had 9 players for 2 spots. gone 4231 because had to find players to fit system

_________________ G Long

J Brayford -- C Morgan -- H Maguire -- M Lowton

-------- N Montgomery -- K McDonald

----- S Quinn ------ A Reid -------- J Murphy

_______________ B Sharp

Subs M Hill K Bartley BH Riise G Speed M Doyle M McNulty H Camara

The idea of including Montgomery and excluding Baxter and Evans is just amazing to me. You could easily drop Monty there, stick Ched up top and play 4-4-2 if it's just on achievement, straight sub him for Baxter if on ability.

We might not like them, but they were both miles better than Monty.

The idea of including Montgomery and excluding Baxter and Evans is just amazing to me. You could easily drop Monty there, stick Ched up top and play 4-4-2 if it's just on achievement, straight sub him for Baxter if on ability.

We might not like them, but they were both miles better than Monty.

I couldnt add ched because I did exclude him because of his personal life, just didnt feel right including him

but you got a point with baxter he is a fantastic player & as I said the CM were the toughest decisions I had to make cos of such quality also why quinn on wing & went 4231. Also It part sentiment & part balance of the team. he wasnt the most talented. But he was a battler gave 100% every game & tough tackler doing the dirty jobs that helped the creative players do their job

I think Conor Coady would make my first eleven for the decade. Billy Clarke on the bench.

Long
Brayford Bartley Maguire Lowton
Williamson Coady McDonald Murphy
Evans Blackman

My team of the 2010s (no loanees) would be:-

Long
Brayford-Maguire-Morgs-Lowton
Williamson-McDonald-Quinn-Murphy
Ched-Blackman

Subs - Howard, Hill, Monty, Sharp, Baxter, Henderson, Scougal

I'd back that team and squad to do well in the Championship and if I was an opposing centre forward I'd dread playing against those two!

Are loan signings allowed? Cos I'd chuck in Matty Phillips for Williamson
It was that substitution that cost us against pigs at home. Matt Phillips no idea how to run a game down.
Oh and 14 goals from midfield, when did we last have that? answered my own question really.

Had we already sold walker and naughton before 2010. Is it really that long ago?
Yes in 2009. We had Walker on loan the following season but this was cut short after Blackwell allegedly had an argument with Redknapp for allowing Naughton to go to Middlesbrough on loan

Back
Top Bottom