Sheffield United manager Nigel Clough talks budgets, summer recruitment and expectations

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I haven't got a clue why you're referring this to me or my post,especially when i'm in agreement as regards Maguire,Coady and Brayford.

Sorry Wizzer. The only bit that I was actually referring back to your post was my first paragraph about Basher.

The rest was just a general point regarding all the other posts in the thread.

Not to worry though, we've won again so everything is obviously fine and dandy.

Sorry Wizzer. The only bit that I was actually referring back to your post was my first paragraph about Basher.

The rest was just a general point regarding all the other posts in the thread.

Not to worry though, we've won again so everything is obviously fine and dandy.
No probs mate.Like you say,good win last night and everything is obviously fine and dandy now:rolleyes::D

P.s. next time don't go on holiday,look what you went and did:) did you have a good un btw?

They won 2 out of 3 whilst I was away which is better than they usually manage when I'm gone.

Had a great time made all the better by, despite being in a tiny place on a Greek Island, I came across the only bar in the world (based on instinct rather than polling every other bar in the world) showing Notts v Yorks.

They won 2 out of 3 whilst I was away which is better than they usually manage when I'm gone.

Had a great time made all the better by, despite being in a tiny place on a Greek Island, I came across the only bar in the world (based on instinct rather than polling every other bar in the world) showing Notts v Yorks.
It just seems like we've done shite with the performances we've made,i don't know why but they always stick in my head more than the result,even though it's only the result that matters.

I know - but that's the position he was seemingly bought for as I understood it from the interviews etc. Not DM

Might be just as well to try him at CB the way we are leaking goals at the moment

I think Clough just saw a potential in him to get a lot of goals from midfield:

• Good stamina and hard working, able to get into the box regularly
  • Height, would give us an aerial presence, especially useful when we don't play with a target man
His composure and heading technique has let him down a few times, and that's why he hasn't scored yet. I think many don't spot his runs into the box though. If you look at the Swindon highlights, 15 seconds in he's made his way into the box, gets his head on the ball, and although it's a very weak/poor header, it sets McNulty up for a sitter. If people don't see those contributions, and only judge him on his limited ability on the ball, he's going to remain unpopular among fans.

• Height, would give us an aerial presence, especially useful when we don't play with a target man
His composure and heading technique has let him down a few times, and that's why he hasn't scored yet. I think many don't spot his runs into the box though. If you look at the Swindon highlights, 15 seconds in he's made his way into the box, gets his head on the ball, and although it's a very weak/poor header, it sets McNulty up for a sitter. If people don't see those contributions, and only judge him on his limited ability on the ball, he's going to remain unpopular among fans.

The new Øyvind Leonhardsen? :)

The new Øyvind Leonhardsen? :)

Yes, with added aerial presence. The role is quite new to him, and often when he wins the ball he gives it short to a teammate and just runs into the box. Leonhardsen's stamina was exceptional, but he was also good at timing his runs, so that he just arrived as the ball dropped in the box, and also often ran in behind teams and onto through balls. His technique was below average and his finishes were often mishit, but he scored many goals, one every four of five games for Norway.

Contrast that to the two attacking central midfielders Norway picked in their last match. Skjelbreid and Yttergård Jensen (playing for Hertha Berlin and Kaiserslautern in Germany) both more skillful and better passers, but they've scored 1 and 0 goals in 32 appearances (each) for Norway. They were never in the box when crosses came in and Norway didn't have a shot on target. You need good off the ball movement and players in the box to score enough goals. However, Basham must start scoring and assisting if he's going to stay in the team.

So to sum up we are no good at loans and we need a Coady and Brayford who were errmmm................loans.

Oh and we've no money except for the 11 /12 new players. :)
I was thinking more of loan signings brought in during the loan window. Coady was with us from the start of the season. Brayford was an exception to the usual quality of our loan window signings. I am struggling to think of many over recent years that have come in during the season and had a major impact and being a significant improvement on what we already had.

I don't think it's unfair to judge him on his limited ability though. How many other £60-70k a year jobs can you get when technically you aren't very good at them but you try hard? His job requires him to have composure and he hasn't. He should rightly take flak for that.

Back
Top Bottom