Sheffield United 1986-1987

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Well there's the club ones which I might do. After 1988 I don't think there's much I can add though. 1987-1988 will be the last of the videos produced by me. After that I'll be editing the existing ones as and when more footage becomes available.

Was there a season review for 1988/89? I have some Blades videos and my first ever was that season, Life With The Blades. Had interviews with players and staff and the goals, but I'm sure it was only half the games?

I need to dig out the old VHS, I have every end of season review after that until we got relegated in 94. Was the 2nd division promotion season 'Harrys Game?' - that's a cracker.

As others have said, it would be great to get your edited take on these seasons with the music and comments, really enjoyable stuff that's much appreciated.

There was a video called 100 Years, 100 Goals which was a centenary celebration and season review.

Ah yes brilliant. Cheers for this. How brilliant was some of the finishing by Deane and Agana? Loved that season as its the first one I remember in any great detail.

Also on videos around this era, on some away games you can hear the same bloke shout 'Bloody Brilliant Sheffield' - would love to know who it is, makes me chuckle every time.

Ah yes brilliant. Cheers for this. How brilliant was some of the finishing by Deane and Agana? Loved that season as its the first one I remember in any great detail.

Also on videos around this era, on some away games you can hear the same bloke shout 'Bloody Brilliant Sheffield' - would love to know who it is, makes me chuckle every time.

Agana was incredible but after a point Bassett just didn't fancy him, could never figure out why.

Was there a season review for 1988/89? I have some Blades videos and my first ever was that season, Life With The Blades. Had interviews with players and staff and the goals, but I'm sure it was only half the games?

I need to dig out the old VHS, I have every end of season review after that until we got relegated in 94. Was the 2nd division promotion season 'Harrys Game?' - that's a cracker.

As others have said, it would be great to get your edited take on these seasons with the music and comments, really enjoyable stuff that's much appreciated.
Life with the Blades was Xmas 1988 video. Yes, 1989-90 video was Harry's game

Agana was incredible but after a point Bassett just didn't fancy him, could never figure out why.
He was having injury problems especially with his back in 1991 and his form suffered so we got a good fee for him from Notts County (managed by Warnock). He was there for 6 years but was still in and out of the team due to injuries

As Silent says, injuries. I bet if you sat down with the Star back issues from 1989-90 and 1990-1 all of Aganas absences in those seasons would be explained by injury. Looking at the Records now I recall some of the knocks he got (eg went off at Watford, missed a few weeks, came back and broke down v Bradford and was out again). He was out for ages in our first season back in the top flight.

When he was sold - the week before the Pigs game - it was a big blow as he'd played 13 of 15 games and was looking sharp after a slow start, but United needed the money desperately (Bassett had provided a loan to fund the Gayle signing) and I wonder whether it was felt that he would break down again sooner or later.

Anyway, it was a good deal, as Gayle was very important that year and the year after (and how we missed him when he was injured in 1993-4) and although he was fit for most of the rest of the season Agana hardly scored and his injury trouble returned the year after and he was never the same player, though County did not help matters by playing him on the wing.

As Silent says, injuries. I bet if you sat down with the Star back issues from 1989-90 and 1990-1 all of Aganas absences in those seasons would be explained by injury. Looking at the Records now I recall some of the knocks he got (eg went off at Watford, missed a few weeks, came back and broke down v Bradford and was out again). He was out for ages in our first season back in the top flight.

When he was sold - the week before the Pigs game - it was a big blow as he'd played 13 of 15 games and was looking sharp after a slow start, but United needed the money desperately (Bassett had provided a loan to fund the Gayle signing) and I wonder whether it was felt that he would break down again sooner or later.

Anyway, it was a good deal, as Gayle was very important that year and the year after (and how we missed him when he was injured in 1993-4) and although he was fit for most of the rest of the season Agana hardly scored and his injury trouble returned the year after and he was never the same player, though County did not help matters by playing him on the wing.
Notts County loaned him to L**ds later in the 1991-92 season. He played twice for them and in the Pointless tv programme last night he was a pointless answer (the two contestants didnt get him- They said Noel Whelan which was wrong) for the question which was "L**ds United Championship winning squad for 1991-92 season"

You mean nearly got his leg decapitated at Bradford, disgusting tackle, Bradford defender left his foot in as Agana was in the process of scoring. They sold Agana, in essence to fund the Brian Gayle transfer. At the time he'd had a good run of games and was looking back to his best, then was sold to Notts County <shakes head> when will this club - in particularly the board - ever learn.

You mean nearly got his leg decapitated at Bradford, disgusting tackle, Bradford defender left his foot in as Agana was in the process of scoring. They sold Agana, in essence to fund the Brian Gayle transfer. At the time he'd had a good run of games and was looking back to his best, then was sold to Notts County <shakes head> when will this club - in particularly the board - ever learn.

That was the return game against Bradford. I meant the home game where we drew 1-1.
You're right about that tackle in the return though.

On the grandstand clip ,the Wednesday report has a backdrop of Bramall lane 😃

I remember this distinctly; it always seemed a very sarcastic 'bloody brilliant Sheffield' in the build up before we scored.

You will note that only 12 goals were scored in 11 division 2 games, and nobody scored more than one. That was, at the time, the only time a full division programme had been played and no team had scored twice.

There were 73 goals in 41 games that day, 30 August 1986. That is the second lowest of all time on a Saturday with a full league programme. There were 71 scored on 4 April 1925 (we beat Spurs 2-0).

Back
Top Bottom