Sheff Utd v Sheff Wed FA Cup Semi-Final

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

sheffjournos

Reaction score
Hi all,

We're trainee journalists at the University of Sheffield currently working on a story on the 30th anniversary of the Sheffield United vs Sheffield Wednesday FA Cup semi-final.

We're looking to talk to any fans who went to Wembley who would like to share their memories of that day, and also if anyone has any memorabilia (photos, etc.) they would be happy to share (credit will be provided).

If anyone's happy to help, please let us know (the story is due on Friday).

Thanks,
Olly

You could always post a similar request on www.porktalk.co.uk, Olly. Strange that you haven't already, actually?
They were there as well and absolutely love to talk about themselves and their 'glory years'. If you want to really butter them up you should ask them about their attendances as well, just don't press the matter with regards to the final, eh?.
You'll be beating them off with a shitty stick, trust me!
Good luck with it all......and don't bother applying for a job with The Star.
utb

my one memory from that game was getting up at 90 mins thinking get in dodged one there we will smash these at Old Trafford in the replay only to be told siddarn there is extra time FFS ! .... UTB

Of course, venture onto Portalk, and you'll be met with tales of "wi battered 'em", and "Could of (intentional grammatical error) been 6, easy".

Which is basically the same as each time we've played them since, and they've had Pressman in goal. Saved their "bacon" on more than one occasion, the bastard!

Hi all,

We're trainee journalists at the University of Sheffield currently working on a story on the 30th anniversary of the Sheffield United vs Sheffield Wednesday FA Cup semi-final.

We're looking to talk to any fans who went to Wembley who would like to share their memories of that day, and also if anyone has any memorabilia (photos, etc.) they would be happy to share (credit will be provided).

Thanks,
Olly
Went to Wembley full of hope - (as per)
Totally outplayed
Alan Kelly MOM by a country mile
Left to the strains of 'Always look on the bright side of life'
Quiet train home.

I remember being quite emotional at the end of the Blackburn tie Because it was the first time I would be going to see my team in a semi-final. I think it was a replay with the first game being beamed back on a giant TV screen in front of the kop. Then there was the lobbying Graham Kelly to move the match to Wembley. Got filmed by Sky cameras buying something at an outside concession stall and then saw Harry Gration as soon as we got inside. These memories are probably indicative of the quality of the match itself. Pretty sure we had a penalty shout with the last kick of extra time, but the ref just blew up. Although it is a fabled place to have your team reach, the Old Wembley was a dump and well past its sell by date. It was also the day of the Grand National that never was. Wembley is a crap place to be at when you lose.

Opened this thread and thought the OP was speculating on the 2022/23 F A Cup…

The main memories - paying £3.50 for a tiny little bottle of Heldenbrau, and missing most of both goals because of being sat really low down and having a stanchion in the way.

Hi all,

Thanks,
Olly

We went on the infamous shared supporter train, pretty much half and half united and wendy, going down was good natured, a few people I knew and had worked with from thier side were on the train, was a fun journey down.

Got late into the ground as we'd been drinking, and finishing up, we never see the kick off even to this day, and when we went up the steps the first thing we saw was wadl

We turned up, were crap, hung on til full time, then with horror I realised that there would be ET as I was praying for a replay at Elland Road where we couldn't possibly be worse).

Watched the inevitable happen and the loss, sitting on a mixed coach with them grinning like bacon twats (and desperately trying to look 'not that bothered' and failing). Then back to the local to drown my sorrows that evening. Mind you I did get a 'sympathy?' shag from a nice looking Piggie' lass called Rachael that night which was the highlight of a bad day. I took out my frustration on her vagina and titties. I considered it as being a very late equaliser.

Those wendy fans think they are massive even though they have not played in the premier league for over twenty years.
have the best stadium in England even though it is a rusty shithole.
take ten thousand to every away game.

We went on the infamous shared supporter train, pretty much half and half united and wendy, going down was good natured, a few people I knew and had worked with from thier side were on the train, was a fun journey down.

Got late into the ground as we'd been drinking, and finishing up, we never see the kick off even to this day, and when we went up the steps the first thing we saw was wadl
Posted by accident unfinished and now out of time

Yeah i'll leave it at that..

I remember being quite emotional at the end of the Blackburn tie Because it was the first time I would be going to see my team in a semi-final. I think it was a replay with the first game being beamed back on a giant TV screen in front of the kop. Then there was the lobbying Graham Kelly to move the match to Wembley. Got filmed by Sky cameras buying something at an outside concession stall and then saw Harry Gration as soon as we got inside. These memories are probably indicative of the quality of the match itself. Pretty sure we had a penalty shout with the last kick of extra time, but the ref just blew up. Although it is a fabled place to have your team reach, the Old Wembley was a dump and well past its sell by date. It was also the day of the Grand National that never was. Wembley is a crap place to be at when you lose.
and dont we fucking know it

Hi all,

Thanks,
Olly

The Mel Rees lap of honour will live with me forever, and in fairness, the reception from the pigs was excellent. The game itself started very badly and was one sided beyond belief, a real disappointment.

I think this is the most memorable if slightly sad occurrence when he walked out of the players tunnel, and started clapping the crowd and everyone in the stadium stood up and applauded him. I went with my brother and I remember going down on the coach the driver said the M1 and M25 was a complete nightmare so we went an alternate way down the A38 / M40 and got there in record time.

Back
Top Bottom