Selling to reinvest

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

OP makes a fair point. The issue we have is underselling due to contract situations. So we are replacing players without getting their true value, if they were on on longer contracts. Still they can make best use of that money. Those with long memories will rememember the criticism the Prince and the board gave Wilder over targetting over priced players from the English market, rather than cheap gems from abroad in our last Prem foray. They even gave names of players they wanted in previous windows. We are about to see whether they were right. The O'brien and Akpom links seem strange in this context btw. There are many undervalued players in football, it's up to them to find them.

Last edited:
If players want to move and don't want to sign new deals then I'm fine with the club selling them on for fees, however the problem is were five days away from our FIRST PL game of the season and already before Ndiaye and Berge leaving we needed 5 players to come in.

Since April we knew which league we was going to be in next season, so you do have to question WTF is going on? (Recruitment, contracts and planning)

We have a midfield of Slimane, Norwood and Osborn for Saturday and are still needing 7 players to come in, 5 of them being in midfield areas.
Totally agree. I think our recent windows have been ok but there's always been a lot of late business which can hurt us in the early part of seasons.

It's the balance between getting better players who might've unavailable earlier in the window (this especially applies with loans e.g. Gibbs-White & possibly McAtee now) and maybe paying a bit more to get players in early and ready for the start of the season. Given our finances I think our approach is to take the time to negotiate down as getting the lowest price is valuable to us but that comes at a cost.

There's an argument to be made that the season is long and getting better players for the majority of the season that occurs outside of the window is more beneficial than getting in slightly worse players early so they're available for the whole thing.

I think this argument carries a bit more weight in the championship when you've got more games and the safety net of the playoffs vs the premier league where we've got a decent early run and every point is crucial to avoid relegation.

Can only judge the window once it close though.

If only we had some sort of scouting network, or otherwise had the technology to identify players of value. The S24SU scouting network of "players who played well against us for at least 70 minutes", "players who played for the Pigs" and "bring them all back!" is likely more extensive than what we have
McAtee Doyle Anel Trusty Berge Ndiaye Slimane Traore Larouci etc all from sources other than those you’ve mentioned

Count up the outs since Hecky came in.

Then count up the ins.

Then see if you still think we're like Brentford (or any other club that's not a complete and utter basket case).
High quality outs
Ndiaye McAtee Doyle (Berge)

Other outs
Billy JoC Stevens

Injured
McBurnie Fleck Coulibaly Bogle Brewster RND Jebbo

High quality ins
Trusty

Other ins

Larouci Slimane Traore

Conclusion
We are down by 3 quality creative players
We have finally got a LCB to replace JoC

We need more quality players for the first eleven
And no more squad fillers

We need
2 midfielders (3 if Berge goes)
2 strikers
a CCB to compete with Egan
a GK to compete with Wes

I’m guessing we have $25m left to spend
$35m if Berge goes

It can be done if we scout well and get off our arse and complete deals

In my optimistic little world, Berge out and Souza in could be a repeat of the Lee Evans - Norwood deals of 2018 (more or less this time 5 year ago, I was reminded). Probably not, but you never know. And yes, I know they're different players and play different roles.

If players want to move and don't want to sign new deals then I'm fine with the club selling them on for fees, however the problem is were five days away from our FIRST PL game of the season and already before Ndiaye and Berge leaving we needed 5 players to come in.

Since April we knew which league we was going to be in next season, so you do have to question WTF is going on? (Recruitment, contracts and planning)

We have a midfield of Slimane, Norwood and Osborn for Saturday and are still needing 7 players to come in, 5 of them being in midfield areas.
Also, we have so many players coming into the last year of their contracts…just worry this is going to be the trend moving forward.

Whatever PA said on SUW, smacks of poor management.

UTB

Also, we have so many players coming into the last year of their contracts…just worry this is going to be the trend moving forward.

Whatever PA said on SUW, smacks of poor management.

UTB
It's a bad situation we find ourselves in but it's hard to offer big long term contracts when you're working on a budget unless you know they're top class like Ndiaye/Berge and by all accounts we've attempted to do that but both turned us down.

Hopefully the new players that we can bring in this summer will give us a strong enough base for the next few years

Completely agree.....................what the **** is going on we must be the most ill prepared club in England, every season! We know what division we were going to be in and with a few days to our first Premiership game we still need 6 players, sorry guys and gals we wont get more that 2 in by 1st September i'm sorry to say

When Warnock was here there was never a season where the squad wasn't refreshed. PEOPLE keep going on about Doyle and McAtee but we knew zll along they were loans and they developed that well with us it meant no likelihood of getting one we are allowed back
We ve known for a month or more that both Berge and Ndiaye might go due to contracts .. That's why Hecky has looked at so many to replace them. Let's see who comes in before Thursday before exploding our chances before a balls kicked

Are you seriously comparing how our club is run to Brentford?

We could not be two more different clubs. Brentford plan years ahead for their squad turnover. We don’t even have a fucking plan for the next 3 months.
Pretty sure it's a post about selling two highest profile players but building for the future with multiple replacements.

If players want to move and don't want to sign new deals then I'm fine with the club selling them on for fees
I don't agree with this, the club needs to look at why it's happening. What is causing players to run their contract down in the first place?

Players who are happy at a club don't let this happen, they get offered new contracts and sign them.

Something is stopping that happening at our club and someone needs to look at the underlying reasons.

I don't agree with this, the club needs to look at why it's happening. What is causing players to run their contract down in the first place?

Players who are happy at a club don't let this happen, they get offered new contracts and sign them.

Something is stopping that happening at our club and someone needs to look at the underlying reasons.
It's not a problem. We've still got a bunch of players from L1 days.

Just happens to have cropped up now with a couple of established internationals who could demand larger wages. Then x2 young strikers are slight unknowns - Jebbo perhaps head turned as rumours of transfer offers.

It's not a problem. We've still got a bunch of players from L1 days.

Just happens to have cropped up now with a couple of established internationals who could demand larger wages. Then x2 young strikers are slight unknowns - Jebbo perhaps head turned as rumours of transfer offers.
It is a problem though.

We've lurched from offering lucrative, long term contracts to players based on sentiment (Stevens, Fleck, Basham etc.) to not tying down very good players to longer term contracts because there's better on the table elsewhere.

We've also lurched from buying players who appeared good in the Championship for a lot of money (Freeman, Brewster, McBurnie, C Robinson etc.) to shopping in farmers leagues for bargains.

There's no middle ground for the Blades and no coherent strategy.

There is also this to consider ....
EPL Rule

Each Premier League club submits a squad list after each transfer window closes.

It can contain no more than 17 players who do not fulfil "Home Grown Player" criteria.

The remainder of the squad, up to a total of 25 players, must be home grown.

Changes to the squad list may be made during the period of a transfer window.

A "Home-Grown Player" means a player who, irrespective of nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

Rules on U21 players
Under-21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad.

Not exactly sure we are with this or how we see the make up of the balance of the squad by the end of the window.

We have nothing like Brentford's infrastructure. Sadly.

It is a problem though.

We've lurched from offering lucrative, long term contracts to players based on sentiment (Stevens, Fleck, Basham etc.) to not tying down very good players to longer term contracts because there's better on the table elsewhere.

We've also lurched from buying players who appeared good in the Championship for a lot of money (Freeman, Brewster, McBurnie, C Robinson etc.) to shopping in farmers leagues for bargains.

You were initially referring to an ongoing problem of players running their contracts down.

These are different points.

You were initially referring to an ongoing problem of players running their contracts down.

These are different points.
It's all about the way the club is being run and the fact that what we've offered isn't suitable for good players to want to stay.

We need to look at what we're offering and what others are offering and see why players aren't signing.

If Baldock and Egan play hardball we're fucked.

Ndiaye didn't sign because of his aspirations.
Berge didn''t sign because he's seen us as a stepping stone since day 1, didn't really pan out that way for him though.
Jebbo isn't signing due to lack of opportunity.

It's all about the way the club is being run and the fact that what we've offered isn't suitable for good players to want to stay.

We need to look at what we're offering and what others are offering and see why players aren't signing.

If Baldock and Egan play hardball we're fucked.
I'm not suggesting everything is perfect or seemingly well planned.

But overall the reason Berge and Iliman want to leave is they think they can play for bigger clubs. Most of our players are probably more realistic. We are a pretty big club.

Excuse the term "big" but you know what I mean.

Ndiaye didn't sign because of his aspirations.
Berge didn''t sign because he's seen us as a stepping stone since day 1, didn't really pan out that way for him though.
Jebbo isn't signing due to lack of opportunity.
Match Ndiaye's aspirations, sell him the dream
Convince Berge that he'd be better with us than Burnley
Jebbo I'm not sure on, the goal against Everton has inflated his status but if we want to keep him surely we can convince him to stay

Cos it’s Utd. I take it you are 10 years old and haven’t seen how this club is behind others and as for years!
If only we could pick up rising stars from little known places like Boreham Wood...
Bloody Yoonited are shit.

Match Ndiaye's aspirations, sell him the dream
Convince Berge that he'd be better with us than Burnley
Jebbo I'm not sure on, the goal against Everton has inflated his status but if we want to keep him surely we can convince him to stay
We can't morph into Marseille unfortunately.

The others i'd agree with.

We can't morph into Marseille unfortunately.

The others i'd agree with.
The Ndiaye one is a longer term issue for me, I'm sick of banging on about it now. It stems from what we paid him on the last renewal and the fact that a year extension wasn't included in the deal.

How do you know it wasn't offered, the extension,perhaps his agent didn't agree so the reality is that the only people that know exactly what happened are the club and his agent and why should we be told?

How do you know it wasn't offered, the extension,perhaps his agent didn't agree so the reality is that the only people that know exactly what happened are the club and his agent and why should we be told?
I don't know it wasn't offered but I know it wasn't signed. It's the club's responsibility to look after the best interests of the club, in this case they have fallen short of doing so.

Back
Top Bottom