Sacked managers

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I remember talking in the boozer before we played Wigan, I asked the question if we stay up
who do we want as manager next season, nobody wanted warnock, the thing was when I asked
how about if we go down everybody said, it has to be warnock, would we be where we are now?
who knows but I think probably not

Ah, the Spackman myth arises yet again. He was a fucking appalling manager. The 'great career nipped in the bud' theory doesn't withstand even the most cursory analysis. He was Charles Green's puppet. He had never heard of Borbokis and Dellas until they arrived at The Lane. They were scouted and signed by Charlie. Spackman needed a backbone transplant but never registered an interest.

After leaving the Lane he was sacked by both Barnsley and Millwall after quickly demonstrating his ineptitude. So quickly in fact, that he failed to last a full season at any one of his three clubs.

This nonsense belongs in the same bin as "Kozluk was quick" and "Monty was a ball winner". Utter, complete, unmitigated, top-class, 24-carat bollocks.

I tend to agree with your Spackman comments but Kozluk was fairly quick (certainly quicker than a lot of his teammates) and Monty was a ballwinner. They both certainly had other limitations but I’m not sure how you could dispute those statements.

I agree that season under Spackman was ridiculous in terms of boardroom action. We only bought Deane and Borbokis that summer. We singed Marcelo and Saunders during the course of that season and then halfway through completely de-railed it with the sales of Deane & Fjortoft. It’s not like we even got offered mega bucks for them. We were right up there competing for promotion. To sell them at the time we did, for the fees we did was just utter madness. It left us with Marcelo, Saunders and Taylor as I seem to recall Katchouro had been wrecked by injury by that point. We signed Devlin towards the end of that season but compared to Van Hooijdonk, Bridges, Phillips, Merson, Ravanelli, Ricard, Mendonca, Campbell, Johnson etc. we just didn’t have the firepower to compete with the top sides. The start of that season was possibly the best United team I have seen in terms of ability and we gave it away for a few quid.

We don’t know what might have happened if Bassett had stayed or Warnock for that matter. At the time, despite all the great memories he had given us, things had gotten pretty awful for Bassett and sad though it was, it seemed to be time for a change.

I wanted Warnock to stay at the time but when he went, I wasn’t overly concerned thinking we’d have the parachute payments and we had a squad that could challenge. Then we sold Jags, Davis and CKR and worse than any of that, appointed Robson.

I don't think their time has necessarily died. Allardyce and Pulis have had their fair share of success playing direct and physical. That's not to say I want us to go back to that.

Blackwell should never have been sacked. He kept united at the top end of the 2nd tier with a simple philosophy of winning the ball at all costs and whacking it to somebody who can score. It wasn't pretty but I couldn't care less. I got sick to death of everyone whinging about "hoofball", we'd spent one season in the Premiership and everyone had suddenly decided that we were supposed to play like Real fucking Madrid all the time.
I would gladly take Blackwells Sheffield United over the spineless majority of this current squad any day of the week. At least they gave a shit.

Ah, the Spackman myth arises yet again. He was a fucking appalling manager. The 'great career nipped in the bud' theory doesn't withstand even the most cursory analysis. He was Charles Green's puppet. He had never heard of Borbokis and Dellas until they arrived at The Lane. They were scouted and signed by Charlie. Spackman needed a backbone transplant but never registered an interest.

After leaving the Lane he was sacked by both Barnsley and Millwall after quickly demonstrating his ineptitude. So quickly in fact, that he failed to last a full season at any one of his three clubs.

This nonsense belongs in the same bin as "Kozluk was quick" and "Monty was a ball winner". Utter, complete, unmitigated, top-class, 24-carat bollocks.
Don't often agree with you but you're spot on with this.

Spackman was shit.

And so was Weir. He highlighted the difference between being a good coach and a good manager.

He will never be a successful manager.

How many of our managers went on to have further success after we'd discarded them (as an actual manager)?

That says all you need to know about why we're in L1.

I tend to agree with your Spackman comments but Kozluk was fairly quick (certainly quicker than a lot of his teammates) and Monty was a ballwinner. They both certainly had other limitations but I’m not sure how you could dispute those statements.

I can and have done so on dozens of occasions, at considerable length. I'm not going to do so again but I'll summarise: Kozluk was amongst the worst full backs I have ever seen. He had no positional sense. His idea of marking a winger was to give him 30 yards of space. His crossing was legendary. He was a joke in joker's clothing. Montgomery was a ball-loser. He gave it away like a footballing nymphomaniac. At best he momentarily deprived the opposition of possession pending the next free-kick, penalty or, at best, throw-in. He was a committed, tireless but hopeless shadow-chaser. Half-decent opposition midfielders used him as a training cone.

There. Disputed.

Blackwell should never have been sacked. He kept united at the top end of the 2nd tier with a simple philosophy of winning the ball at all costs and whacking it to somebody who can score. It wasn't pretty but I couldn't care less. I got sick to death of everyone whinging about "hoofball", we'd spent one season in the Premiership and everyone had suddenly decided that we were supposed to play like Real fucking Madrid all the time.
I would gladly take Blackwells Sheffield United over the spineless majority of this current squad any day of the week. At least they gave a shit.
Yeah, they really gave a shit at Wembley.

I agree with a lot of your posts but we're miles apart on this one. KB lacked leadership qualities and the ability to spot a player.

He was only with us for two full seasons so to say he 'kept United in the top end of the table' is a little misleading. Two seasons is hardly a trend and if it was, the trend was downwards, finishing a respectable looking 8th but the reality was we'd blown a playoff place several weeks before the end of the season and pissed the Kyles money away on shit loans and crocks.

Personally, I wouldn't have sacked him after Burnley.

I'd have taken him outside and shot him.

He was a buffoon. He should never have been employed as a manager and, just like his predecessors in hoof, never will be again. He is unemployable. He should not only have been sacked but tarred and feathered.

As for being sick to death of whinging about hoof ball: Stick around, kid. You ain't heard nothing, yet. It's anti-football. The antithesis of all that's good about the beautiful game. I'm sick to death of parochial S2 Neanderthals justifying its existence, whilst most of the rest of the world (there's Norway, I know) plays the game in the right way.

Kick it Long; Kick it Hard; Kick it High.

I despair. I'm in a constant state of despair.....

How many of our managers went on to have further success after we'd discarded them (as an actual manager)?

Dave Bassett:- Championship Play-Off Final with Crystal Palace. Championship winners with Nottingham Forest
Neil Warnock:- Championship Play-Offs with Crystal Palace. Championship winners with Queens Park Rangers

That says all you need to know about why we're in L1

It does indeed.

Also to be complete.
Micky Adams:- League Two promotion with Port Vale
Steve Bruce:- Three Championship promotions with Birmingham and Hull. One FA Cup Final with Hull

I despair. I'm in a constant state of despair.....

See below.............
UTB

Welcome to Sheffield Samaritans
If something's troubling you, get in touch:
Telephone our branch:

0114 276 7277 (local call charges apply)
Email Samaritans:
[email protected]
(UK and ROI)
Visit our branch:
Samaritans Sheffield272 Queens RoadSheffieldSouth YorkshireS2 4DL
Usual hours open to receive callers at the door:
10:00am - 10:00pm

Facilities for visitors with disabilities:
Wheelchair accessible. Adapted toilet.

See below.............
UTB

Welcome to Sheffield Samaritans
If something's troubling you, get in touch:
Telephone our branch:

0114 276 7277 (local call charges apply)
Email Samaritans:
[email protected]
(UK and ROI)
Visit our branch:
Samaritans Sheffield272 Queens RoadSheffieldSouth YorkshireS2 4DL
Usual hours open to receive callers at the door:
10:00am - 10:00pm

Facilities for visitors with disabilities:
Wheelchair accessible. Adapted toilet.

Just tried it, mate. As soon as I said I was a Blade, they hung up.....

I agree that season under Spackman was ridiculous in terms of boardroom action. We only bought Deane and Borbokis that summer. We singed Marcelo and Saunders during the course of that season and then halfway through completely de-railed it with the sales of Deane & Fjortoft. It’s not like we even got offered mega bucks for them. We were right up there competing for promotion. To sell them at the time we did, for the fees we did was just utter madness. It left us with Marcelo, Saunders and Taylor as I seem to recall Katchouro had been wrecked by injury by that point. We signed Devlin towards the end of that season but compared to Van Hooijdonk, Bridges, Phillips, Merson, Ravanelli, Ricard, Mendonca, Campbell, Johnson etc. we just didn’t have the firepower to compete with the top sides. The start of that season was possibly the best United team I have seen in terms of ability and we gave it away for a few quid.

We don’t know what might have happened if Bassett had stayed or Warnock for that matter. At the time, despite all the great memories he had given us, things had gotten pretty awful for Bassett and sad though it was, it seemed to be time for a change.

I wanted Warnock to stay at the time but when he went, I wasn’t overly concerned thinking we’d have the parachute payments and we had a squad that could challenge. Then we sold Jags, Davis and CKR and worse than any of that, appointed Robson.

I don't think their time has necessarily died. Allardyce and Pulis have had their fair share of success playing direct and physical. That's not to say I want us to go back to that.

Katchouro wasn't injured at that point, he was on the bench for most of that season.
He couldn't get a game even after Deane and Fjortoft had been sold, with Saunders, Marcelo and Taylor still ahead of him.

upload_2015-10-8_15-52-8.png

Dave Bassett:- Championship Play-Off Final with Crystal Palace. Championship winners with Nottingham Forest
Neil Warnock:- Championship Play-Offs with Crystal Palace. Championship winners with Queens Park Rangers

It does indeed.

Also to be complete.
Micky Adams:- League Two promotion with Port Vale
Steve Bruce:- Three Championship promotions with Birmingham and Hull. One FA Cup Final with Hull

A glittering haul from what must be the best part of a hundred years between them! The only one who plays proper football has done as much as the hoofers put together. A great and fitting tribute to your beloved Hoofitanhopefortbest.

Harry Bassett maybe seen as a manager not suited to the modern era. Just consider this...

Alex Ferguson born 1941. Harry born 1944. Ferguson appointed to Man Utd in 1986. Harry appointed to the Blades in 1988. The Blades lost faith in Harry in 1995(?). Man Utd retained their faith in Fergie.

Ferguson would never be considered as a manager not suited to the modern era.

Not wishing to compare ourselves with Man Utd but there's a huge message there to our board. If things are not going right then re-visit the problem and all agree on a strategy on putting right the wrongs. Don't just get rid.

I don't know BaB, Harry sounded like he had lost heart in it at the end, much as I loved him, it was probably time for him to go, whereas Warnock....

Dellas as well as Borbokis and Deane. Who did he score that 30 yarder against, I can't think?

Can't argue with most of that David. It was sad that two of those legends, Harry & Warnock had to leave in such sad circumstances. Both were classed as a success with us, and significant that they knew how to, let's say, gee the lads up, during their half time talks. Wonder what their reaction would have been to recent performances ?

Not only that. DB and NW allowed us to knock Wendy off their perch by playing football that was exactly right for the time. We owe them a great debt.

A glittering haul from what must be the best part of a hundred years between them! The only one who plays proper football has done as much as the hoofers put together. A great and fitting tribute to your beloved Hoofitanhopefortbest.

Not really, the question I answered referred to jobs taken after managing United.
If you want to do it properly and go back "a hundred years":-

Dave Bassett 7 Promotions.
Neil Warnock 7 Promotions.
Micky Adams 4 Promotions (certainly not my beloved)
Steve Bruce 3 Promotions
Danny Wilson 2 Promotions
Nigel Clough 2 Promotions
Bryan Robson 1 Promotion
Adrian Heath 0 Promotions
Kevin Blackwell 0 Promotions
Gary Speed 0 Promotions
David Weir 0 Promotions (your beloved)

A fitting tribute indeed to our (coincidentally?) two most successful managers.

Last edited:
To add to the above list, I also remember
Joe Mercer (although I can't remember if he was in charge at my earliest games)not sacked but took a "step down" :) to manage Man City
John Harris - The best ever in my humble opinion
Arthur Rowley
Cec Coldwell (twice as caretaker)
Ken Furphy (achieved the highest league finish in my time but sacked the season after)
Harry Haslam
Martin Peters
Ian Porterfield
Billy McEwan
Danny Begara
Jimmy Sirral

Senility on my part prevents further recollections

Agree about Harris. Although I suspect not all were signed under his watch, if only we could unearth a few, Deardens, Reeces, etc.

Basset was a busted flush as far as United were concerned anyway, when he left. Some bad signings were made. The restrictions and pressure he was under working under the board he did would have affected anyone. Just a pity he didnt manage to get Green into the car park though.

He did okay afterwards as stated, with better financial support than he got here. Up there with Harris as the best, if only because he had us, well, nearly all of us, backing a squad of players that supported each other like we supported them.

Anyone imagine not winning until just before Christmas - top league or not - and the fans backing them every inch of the way nowadays?

Blackwell, ****. Judged more against the wasters immediately before and after him rather than where he took us. Hisd answer was Henderson. He clearly didnt understand the question.

Dellas as well as Borbokis and Deane. Who did he score that 30 yarder against, I can't think?

I thought it was Pompey Sean, but someone might correct me. I'm amazed that the posts/net didn't end up on Shoreham Street, even Woody would have been impressed.

I thought it was Pompey Sean, but someone might correct me. I'm amazed that the posts/net didn't end up on Shoreham Street, even Woody would have been impressed.

You're right, it was Portsmouth. If the net hadn't been there it would probably have killed someone.

To add to the above list, I also remember
Joe Mercer (although I can't remember if he was in charge at my earliest games)not sacked but took a "step down" :) to manage Man City

Ken Furphy (achieved the highest league finish in my time but sacked the season after)

Joe Mercer left us for Aston Villa in late December 1958. He had a terrible time at Villa. He suffered a stroke in 1964 but they sacked him after he made his recovery. Went to Man City in 1965 and asked Malcolm Allison to leave Plymouth to team up with him at Maine Road.

Our highest League finish in your lifetime was 5th in the 1st division in 1961-62 season and that was when John Harris was our manager

Joe Mercer left us for Aston Villa in late December 1958. He had a terrible time at Villa. He suffered a stroke in 1964 but they sacked him after he made his recovery. Went to Man City in 1965 and asked Malcolm Allison to leave Plymouth to team up with him at Maine Road.

Our highest League finish in your lifetime was 5th in the 1st division in 1961-62 season and that was when John Harris was our manager

I stand corrected on both counts. Now I remember the top 5 finish and the false hope that we would get into European action in the Inter City Fairs Cup

Not really, the question I answered referred to jobs taken after managing United.
If you want to do it properly and go back "a hundred years":-

Dave Bassett 7 Promotions.
Neil Warnock 7 Promotions.
Micky Adams 4 Promotions (certainly not my beloved)
Steve Bruce 3 Promotions
Danny Wilson 2 Promotions
Nigel Clough 2 Promotions
Bryan Robson 1 Promotion
Adrian Heath 0 Promotions
Kevin Blackwell 0 Promotions
Gary Speed 0 Promotions
David Weir 0 Promotions (your beloved)

A fitting tribute indeed to our (coincidentally?) two most successful managers.

You wouldn't care to add the relegations would you, or does that disturb the balance?

I often wonder why you hoofers don't simply watch pub games, where the standard and style is just right for you, instead of wishing such awful unskilled, talentless hoofanhope on those of us who prefer proper football...

Not only that. DB and NW allowed us to knock Wendy off their perch by playing football that was exactly right for the time. We owe them a great debt.

Absolutely. I agree. The problem is that the time is long since up, yet both would play exactly the same today and many numpties would encourage just that....

Mercer and Allison of course, went on to fashion a City team that was not only successful but an absolute delight to watch. They would have gone down very badly with some of our contributors....

Yes time was up for Basset at the club and time was up for that style of football too, what was sad about it was that he couldn't adapt to a different style.
What a team that was that Spackman inherited probably the best team and the best football since the 70's with Woodward and Currie until that twat Charles Green started the fire sale, I still say if we had kept the players we would have pissed promotion and maybe won the cup too.
Bruce Mr average but the board did let him down badly.
Heath out of his depth and no experience, we would make the same mistake after sacking Wilson years later.
Uncle Colin love him or hate him you can't really knock what he achieved even if it did take seven years, he fucked up when he got money to spend but maybe we should have give him a go at getting back into the premiership.
Robson this one appointment ruined the club Warnock built that was by far the best in Yorkshire at the time ....................... a dreadful choice and it has been downhill ever since maybe we are still paying the price.
Blackwell should have let him go after the play off final defeat but having said that he would have kept us in the championship even if it was bad to watch.
Speed not what we needed at the time.
Adams give him credit for admitting the job was too big for him if nothing else.
Wilson should have pissed league one with that squad, then his second season syndrome kicked in should have sacked him earlier just before the plat offs was plain stupid.
Weir see Adrian Heath but possibly worse.
Clough or negative Nigel .................. never won owt and never will a guy who steadies the ship but lacks the balls to go out and try to win games. His transfer activity has been shown to be truly shocking leaving us with too many squad fillers, journeymen and crocks that we can't get rid of. Zero man management abilities too.

Katchouro wasn't injured at that point, he was on the bench for most of that season.
He couldn't get a game even after Deane and Fjortoft had been sold, with Saunders, Marcelo and Taylor still ahead of him.

View attachment 13865

I seem to recall he had an awful miss at Highfield Road in the cup that could have won it for us. He had quite an effective partnership with Saunders the following season for a brief period, up till Saunders's sale. Think he then had a nasty injury and never really contributed after that.

Back
Top Bottom