Ricoh Arena

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm looking forward to my first visit to the Ricoh Arena. I'm guessing it will be a bit soulless, with it being less than half full, but after a season of watching us play away at smaller grounds it will be good to see us play at a similar sized ground to our own.
Looking on Wikipedia, their ground has a capacity of 93 fewer than ours. At least we can say we have the biggest ground in the League! I think since we have been in this division only a certain rust bucket across the city has had a bigger capacity than Bramall Lane.
I went to see the Blades play Coventry at Sixfields but I never went to Highfield Road. Are they the only club we have played at three grounds in recent times?

It's shit.

When Charlton Athletic weren't at The Valley, where did we play them?

Upton Park
Selhurst Park

then back to The Valley.

Probably the most depressing ground I've been to, although when I went we were well beaten 2-0 which may have prejudiced me.

Leicester City - Filbert Street, Walkers Stadium, Elland Road, City Ground, St Andrews.

When Charlton Athletic weren't at The Valley, where did we play them?

Upton Park
Selhurst Park

then back to The Valley.

That's another one.

There's also Wimbledon / MK Dons - Plough lane/Selhurst - National Hockey Stadium / Stadium MK. Though that's arguably 2 different teams.

We played Bradford at Elland Road in 1985-6, Odsal in 1986-7, and Valley Parade in 1987-8.

Bristol Rovers: at Eastville in 1983-4, at Twerton Park in 1988-9, at Memorial Stadium in the cup in 2012-3.

Highfield Road 2-0 up, blizzard, Ian St John pestering ref long enough to get it called off. Year please? I was there:(
March 4th 1972. I was at Wembley that day seeing Stoke win the League Cup. Left Wembley stadium thinking that Blades had won 2-0 at Coventry until I read the Saturday evening paper at Leicester Forest that the match was abandoned. I went to the re-arranged match though

The "this grounds too big for you " chant today was particularly apt. I can't remember seeing a stadium (other than one being rebuilt) where the north end of the ground was completely empty - apart from a dozen or so fans in possibly a disabled section.

The south end half taken up by United fans and the vocal few of the Coventry fans to the south side of the east stand. Before the game, it was slightly bizarre to have the home team warming up in front of the United fans and United doing likewise in front of an empty stand.

The "this grounds too big for you " chant today was particularly apt. I can't remember seeing a stadium (other than one being rebuilt) where the north end of the ground was completely empty - apart from a dozen or so fans in possibly a disabled section.

The south end half taken up by United fans and the vocal few of the Coventry fans to the south side of the east stand. Before the game, it was slightly bizarre to have the home team warming up in front of the United fans and United doing likewise in front of an empty stand.
True, but if they ever got back into the Premier League it could be a cracking atmosphere. Clubs like QPR and Swansea have grounds that are too small for them when they are in the Premier League, I guess Coventry are prepared if the good times ever return (I think it is almost 50 years since they were last promoted so I guess they are due some success).

United definitely missed a trick by not having rooms with a view. I've stayed at the copthorne a few times and would happily have paid extra for such a room. The Bob Booker room, Nudger Corner, Currie Suite....
I seem to remember the original plans for our hotel did include rooms overlooking the pitch and a "skydeck" (like a roof terrace overlooking the pitch). Anyone else remember the same? It's a very vague memory think there was an artists impression in a programme. Obviously this would have cost more so McCabe went for the cheaper option.

Are there some rules against watching the match from your hotel room?! I'm sure the Skydeck idea was with the intention of people in the hotel watching the match. Don't see the point of having rooms with balconies overlooking the pitch if you can't use them to watch the match.

The Ricoh Arena is a bog standard soulless stadium with zero character and even less atmosphere. Apart from any "big" games they will struggle to half fill it.

Could be describing BDTBL, especially next season. Surprising what kicking the supporters in the bollocks for years will do for 'atmosphere'...

Could be describing BDTBL, especially next season. Surprising what kicking the supporters in the bollocks for years will do for 'atmosphere'...

His signings in the summer and tactics at the start of the season will go along way towards the fans providing a positive/toxic atmosphere next season. He has to hit the ground running because after this seasons shambles he has nowhere else left to hide

I heard yesterday that Coventry haven't finished in the top six of any division for over 40 years. They haven't had much to celebrate in recent years (except for that famous FA Cup win).

I heard yesterday that Coventry haven't finished in the top six of any division for over 40 years. They haven't had much to celebrate in recent years (except for that famous FA Cup win).
Well that's one more trophy than us then and we have both had equal success when it comes to the play offs

I seem to remember the original plans for our hotel did include rooms overlooking the pitch and a "skydeck" (like a roof terrace overlooking the pitch). Anyone else remember the same? It's a very vague memory think there was an artists impression in a programme. Obviously this would have cost more so McCabe went for the cheaper option.

Are there some rules against watching the match from your hotel room?! I'm sure the Skydeck idea was with the intention of people in the hotel watching the match. Don't see the point of having rooms with balconies overlooking the pitch if you can't use them to watch the match.
I think but not sure the sky deck idea was removed because of something like the safety of sports grounds act and the problem of uncontrolled drinking from it and any other rooms overlooking the pitch. Doesn't make sense I know because Bolton for one have rooms overlooking the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom