Replica shirts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

nickcatley

Reaction score
Hi

We are currently researching the growth in the buying and wearing of replica football shirts by adult fans since the 1970s. We are aiming to gather the experiences and opinions of fans who have bought or been given replica shirts (be it occasionally or every season!), and of fans who have never owned a replica shirt. We are keen to hear from fans of all ages - and particularly those aged over 40, who might have bought replica shirts in the 1980s and early 1990s.

We'd be very grateful if you'd be willing to complete our short survey (should take 5 minutes at most).

You can access it at the link below.

https://sheffieldmanagement.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_1ZKfCxCVjLAyQJL

Thanks for your time :)

Chris Stride (University of Sheffield) and Nick Catley (Independent
researcher).

Done the survey which seemed to miss the main points of replica shirts. I mean the question why do you buy them?!?! I bought mine to go for job interviews!

The main problem with replica shirts other than the obvious cost is that they're only in for one season. When that changed I decided I would only buy them for a tenner at the end of the season. Sadly Adidas don't seem to even to that, although I've not even bothered to look to buy this season's shirt. Even if it was a fiver I'd not buy it, it just reminds me of this awful season. That said I am seriously considering buying one for next season though and getting the name Diame on the back of it!

Done,

shame there wasn't a box to have a final lash at last Seasons 127th year anniversary shirt

There was wasn't there?
There certainly was in the "never buy a shirt" option. I used it for putting "because grown men wearing football shirts, whilst not actually playing football, look stupid" rather than a go at specific shirts though.

Hi

We are currently researching the growth in the buying and wearing of replica football shirts by adult fans since the 1970s. We are aiming to gather the experiences and opinions of fans who have bought or been given replica shirts (be it occasionally or every season!), and of fans who have never owned a replica shirt. We are keen to hear from fans of all ages - and particularly those aged over 40, who might have bought replica shirts in the 1980s and early 1990s.

We'd be very grateful if you'd be willing to complete our short survey (should take 5 minutes at most).

researcher).

Done the survey. I think some of the questions are worded badly. For example:

What did you use the shirt for PRIMARILY? is followed by Did you EVER wear your first adult-sized replica shirt to matches? when one of the choices for the first question is "Wearing to matches"

"grown men wearing football shirts, whilst not actually playing football or going to a football match, look stupid"

Fixed it for ya.

Surely if you're going to a game then you are more than entitled to wear a shirt?

I own a ridiculous amount of SUFC shirts but probably only wear one to a game maybe 5 times a season... Certainly not every game like some people do. I have no issue with people wearing a shirt to a game though.
I don't like seeing people walking around supermarkets in shirts on like a Monday evening or something. That's weird.

What percentage of football attendees are adult men? 65-75% (at a guess). If none of them wore shirts, the crowd would look very colourless don't you think.

For example, can you tell which are SUFC fans and which aren't?

wembley_way_300_199x300.jpg
leeds-fans-wembley.jpg

I echo Grecian 2000's comments.

If they weren't made of shiny nylon and hadn't got silly designs that they only exist because they have to change them every year and have long since run out of ideas, they'd be fine on a grown up.

Old cotton ones can look good, for instance worn under a blazer - current ones just make you look as silly as Newcastle fans.

Hi

researcher).

You two must be a right pair of Toffs.

UTB

I got one of the Cantors ones in the sports shops on Langsett road, opposite Kelvin in about 1980, this either makes me very cool or a freak, not sure which. I used to play football in it and never wore it to a match - it would have never occurred to me to do so. I used to like to slowly walk along the half way line with my socks down and pretend to be Barry Butlin. I was always in severe danger of getting an electric shock off it, for sure.

Chris Stride

Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 23.16.44.png

Wearing a yellow shirt made out of nylon featuring an advert for a computer company that he's never heard of, the badge of a team in the home counties with a moose on it, an ill fitted collar and a Mizuna® logo?

Are you old enough to remember the 1980s when football supporters dressed fashionably Chris?

Very smart?

Last edited:
Echo the sentiments above. It used to be alternate years for new home and away kits meaning the design had a bit more value and longevity. The move to banging out two or even three kits per season just smacks of exploiting fans and "driving revenue streams".

I do buy shirts if I like the design but have a personal rule that they are only worn to play football in or attend matches,

I haven't done the survey cause I can't be arsed, but old replica shirts are very in vogue if you go by the prices being paid on eBay for them, replicas of the shirts (reproductions) are very cheap but the original issues can go for upwards of £300 just a quick search through eBay will confirm this..

As a quick guide, good luminous green away will fetch £80, and a yellow away shirt worn by mark Todd went for £320 recently.. England Italia 90 kits all go for over £100 each... Really old replica shirts (the first ones from the 70s ) they go for silly money, people are buying a little piece of thier childhood up, they're buying memories... Same as toy collectors..

England 82 shirt, the holy grail of England shirts, £13 for a repro...£500 for a mint condition original, and going up all the time..

Having said that, I bought the repro at £13 and it's great quality, but I looked a bit silly in it and took it straight off...glad I didn't go for the real one..

Get in your mums lofts ....

Back
Top Bottom