'Memries' Recollections of your first Blades vs Wednesday match....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

JonnyRed(WCFC)

Don't fear the reaper....
Reaction score
With one sleep to go, a new dawn is nearly upon me for my first time experiencing what this 'game' will be all about...

'Game, GAME Jonny?' I hear you all cry...

So it is with much fevered anticipation since obtaining a golden ticket (eternal thank yous to prince albert for providing one! :) ) I will be wandering my way up from Worcester after work to the BDTBL cauldron and im sure it will be like nothing ive been to before when i've popped up for a game.

I will try and drink in and savour every living moment of it and to set me nicely on my way it would be great if anyone can regale their own stories, memories of their first Steel City derby game.

It was the 3-2 defeat in the Zenith Data Cup for me. Looking back it's a pretty meaningless fixture but at the time it didn't seem it, there were over 30k there and all the talk at school was about the game. I don't think anyone at school had any recollection of a Sheffield Derby match at the time as we'd been playing 2nd fiddle to them for as long as I could remember. Sheridan scored the winner for them in extra time (we had equalised on 90 mins). In my memory he walzed past our entire team and hammered it into the top corner form 25 yards, but having recently seen a recording, we basically threw a few apologies for tackles at him and he scored from quite close in. Got a real hammering at school the next day but it was all worth it by the end of that particular season!

2-0 win at Bramall Lane. Just sold Agana. If you think Wednesday fans are insufferable now try being 9 or 10 when they have a good side and actually win a trophy.

Cue Warhurst and Sheridan trying to decapitate each other. 1-0, our Dane opens the scoring. 2nd half, Deano finds the acres of space between England's greatest ever goalkeeper's (lol) legs, 2-0. Late on, Jamie Hoyland plays a back pass from just inside Wednesdays half, magic. Tracey pretends to kick one off the floor, Wednesday striker shits it, Tracey let's it run out for a goal kick. I fucking loved school for weeks after that. Good times

It was the 3-2 defeat in the Zenith Data Cup for me. Looking back it's a pretty meaningless fixture but at the time it didn't seem it, there were over 30k there and all the talk at school was about the game. I don't think anyone at school had any recollection of a Sheffield Derby match at the time as we'd been playing 2nd fiddle to them for as long as I could remember. Sheridan scored the winner for them in extra time (we had equalised on 90 mins). In my memory he walzed past our entire team and hammered it into the top corner form 25 yards, but having recently seen a recording, we basically threw a few apologies for tackles at him and he scored from quite close in. Got a real hammering at school the next day but it was all worth it by the end of that particular season!

Just found highlights here....very poignant seeing that empty terrace on the away end.

First at the Lane was the Michael Brown volley 3-1 game. Absolutely battered them first half and Pressman was having a worldy (again). Alan Quinn scored for them just after half-time and we all thought 'here we go again'. I still have no idea how Kabba scored our equalizer, just doesn't look possible from every replay. Then Brownies volley and then the Chief (there was a good 5 secs delay in celebrating that one, as it didn't look like a goal from the Kop).

First at the Sty was the Mike Dean show.

First at the Lane was the Michael Brown volley 3-1 game. Absolutely battered them first half and Pressman was having a worldy (again). Alan Quinn scored for them just after half-time and we all thought 'here we go again'. I still have no idea how Kabba scored our equalizer, just doesn't look possible from every replay. Then Brownies volley and then the Chief (there was a good 5 secs delay in celebrating that one, as it didn't look like a goal from the Kop).

Same for me with the 3-1 game - for various reasons I'd been going to United games for about 10 years before I saw us play them.

I must've watched the highlights of this 100 times - Wednesday were dreadful and as you say only Pressman kept them in it first half. Couldn't believe it when Quinn scored but fortunately we kept at it and turned it round as we did so often that season.

Tonge (I think?) missed a fantastic chance to make it 4-1 near the end. Funny to think how much more historic this win would have been if he'd have knocked that in.

As with Carlton Blade , it was when the Blades won 2-0 in ‘91. I was shocked by the poison in the atmosphere and amazed we overcame their world beaters given the buildup. When Whitehouse scored it was utter bedlam.

My dad (not from these parts) assured me United deserved the win, but it was all a blur to me.

Think I’ve still got the ticket somewhere. :)

First one i remember was the league cup in about 2000 when Ekoku was playing for Wednesday and they won 2-1.

First game i went to was the sickening 2-0 loss at Hillsborough, where we were on top but Pressman was channelling that Russian goalkeeper that was meant to be the best ever, and then Owusu scored with his first touch on his first game for them.

Next derby i went to was 3-1 at the Lane the same season, which has already been mentioned. I remember even at 2-1 up i wasn't happy even though Brown's goal was fucking ridiculous because we were only up by one goal and i knew I'd still get shit at school about Wednesday winning 'on aggregate'.

With one sleep to go, a new dawn is nearly upon me for my first time experiencing what this 'game' will be all about...

So it is with much fevered anticipation since obtaining a golden ticket (eternal thank yous to prince albert for providing one! :) ) I will be wandering my way up from Worcester after work to the BDTBL cauldron and im sure it will be like nothing ive been to before when i've popped up for a game.

I will try and drink in and savour every living moment of it and to set me nicely on my way it would be great if anyone can regale their own stories, memories of their first Steel City derby game.

September 1951 - Blades 7 Grunters 3 . Now THAT's what you call a massacre.

I don't know what the exact team was that day ( I know someone who will ) but our squad that season included such luminaries as Ted Burgin , Graham Shaw , Alf Ringstead , Sir James Hagan and the peerless St. Joseph Shaw .

The strange thing was , I came away feeling nowhere near as elated as I did many years later , such as when Bobby Davidson fucked 'em at the sty or when Brownie tore their hearts out with his wonder strike at the Lane .

In ' 51 even as a kid , I knew we were so much better than them that it came as no surprise .

Happy days , and more to come tomorrow I hope . Come on Blades , make an old Blade ' appeh .:)

As with Carlton Blade , it was when the Blades won 2-0 in ‘91. I was shocked by the poison in the atmosphere and amazed we overcame their world beaters given the buildup. When Whitehouse scored it was utter bedlam.

My dad (not from these parts) assured me United deserved the win, but it was all a blur to me.

Think I’ve still got the ticket somewhere. :)

A piggy mate of mine said that was the worst atmosphere he'd ever been in. He said the hate and passion from Blades was that palpable you could taste it. He said when Dane scored he thought the ground would collapse.

Without a doubt the best Derby game I've ever experienced.

Another pig acquaintance still insists he saw Chelsea relegate us in the seventies when thousands of pigs were with Chelsea on BL.

Even a copy of the league table showing Chelsea were in the old second division that season and the game he pretends he was at - and it's a convoluted story he tells - was v Birmingham, won't shift the lying cunt from his tall tales.

He's heard the stories about the sixties relegation v Chelsea, decided to Big himself up - never ever mentioned watching the Pigs until about five years ago - and got it wrong. They're all the same.

Wembley.

Nothing else to add.

Same.

First after that was the 1-1 in 2000. My memories of that are as follows:
  • Kozluk being clipped in the box for a penalty that Ford confidently hit home
  • Bad luck with the equaliser as a free-kick cannoned off Woodhouse (?) to go past a motionless Tracey
  • Me and my uncle being interviewed by Sky before the game and then not making the cut of what was used – most likely because neither of us sounded like we were from Sheffield. Definitely wasn’t because of our comments, which were insightful, I tell myself.

Hahaha. A Worcester fan with over 500 loyalty points and loads of Blades whinging they can't get tickets. Enjoy it Johnny !!

Just watched those goals on u tube

THAT game late 79. Ruined Christmas and school was a nightmare thereafter.

Left the South Stand with five minutes left. At the mother in laws for dinner. Went in the Forty Foot near where she lived ( I played football for them). Shortage of Blades in there. Fuck 'em then and fuck 'em now.

Eddie Colquhoun heads in Woody's free kick 1-0

index.php

Billy Dearden heads in a Woody corner 2-0

index.php

Either Tommy Craig or Eddie Colquhoun own goal 2-1

index.php

Jackie Sinclair 2-2

index.php

John Tudor comes on as sub replacing Gil Reece and scored the winner with a scuffed shot that went through Peter Grummitt's legs

index.php

John celebrating his winner with lifelong Blade Len Badger

index.php

Same for me. I was 12 and remember my dad's words in extra time very clearly:

"Don't back off. Don't back off. Don't back off. DON'T back off. DON'T BACK OFF. STOP BACKING OFF! Fucking hell."

The earliest ones I can remember are the 2 in the double season - 1991/92. I think I remember these as they came out on VHS. Remember listening to it at my Nan's house as we picked up up for Sunday Dinner. The reverse fixture was the Bobby Davison game.... Off topic but the dates for those games were November and March (omen?)

The first game I watched, albeit on TV was the FA Cup Semi Final in 1993. Remember my mum had put a bit of a family gathering on at our house and we were all playing football outside then all of a sudden "The Grand National has been cancelled, all the horses got strangled !"

So, looking at that, I think my first game I attended was October 1993 at Bramall Lane. My dad was taking me and my brother (he always worked saturdays so must've booked the day off). Anyway, he fell ill so couldn't go to the game. For some reason, he let my Nan take us (Mum's,mum) who was a pig! I remember being stood on the seats on the Kop and every so often she'd just shout "Wednesday!", luckily we were in Blades shirts... Before the game though, my main memory is of the MASSIVE flag we used to have getting passed around (probably wasn't that big, but as a lad,it seemed to fill the entire Kop).
It went over our heads and everything just turned red, then my Nan goes - "Errgh, I'm not touching that !"... god rest her soul!

September 1951 - Blades 7 Grunters 3 . Now THAT's what you call a massacre.

I don't know what the exact team was that day ( I know someone who will ) but our squad that season included such luminaries as Ted Burgin , Graham Shaw , Alf Ringstead , Sir James Hagan and the peerless St. Joseph Shaw .

The strange thing was , I came away feeling nowhere near as elated as I did many years later , such as when Bobby Davidson fucked 'em at the sty or when Brownie tore their hearts out with his wonder strike at the Lane .

In ' 51 even as a kid , I knew we were so much better than them that it came as no surprise .

Happy days , and more to come tomorrow I hope . Come on Blades , make an old Blade ' appeh .:)
Team was; Ted Burgin, Fred Furniss, Albert Cox, Harry Hitchen, Harry Latham, Joe Shaw, Alf Ringstead, Fred A Smith, Harold Brook, Jimmy Hagan and Derek Hawksworth. Scorers were Hawksworth 2, Brook 2, Ringstead 2 and Smith.

The earliest ones I can remember are the 2 in the double season - 1991/92. I think I remember these as they came out on VHS. Remember listening to it at my Nan's house as we picked up up for Sunday Dinner. The reverse fixture was the Bobby Davison game.... Off topic but the dates for those games were November and March (omen?)

The first game I watched, albeit on TV was the FA Cup Semi Final in 1993. Remember my mum had put a bit of a family gathering on at our house and we were all playing football outside then all of a sudden "The Grand National has been cancelled, all the horses got strangled !"

So, looking at that, I think my first game I attended was October 1993 at Bramall Lane. My dad was taking me and my brother (he always worked saturdays so must've booked the day off). Anyway, he fell ill so couldn't go to the game. For some reason, he let my Nan take us (Mum's,mum) who was a pig! I remember being stood on the seats on the Kop and every so often she'd just shout "Wednesday!", luckily we were in Blades shirts... Before the game though, my main memory is of the MASSIVE flag we used to have getting passed around (probably wasn't that big, but as a lad,it seemed to fill the entire Kop).
It went over our heads and everything just turned red, then my Nan goes - "Errgh, I'm not touching that !"... god rest her sole !

The atmosphere before the 2-0 Dane and Deano game was electric just before kick off.

The Ooh Aah came across the pitch and took his seat on the Kop..........

A cold day at chrstmastime in the dying days of the 1970s, a small boy sat with his dad in "the cantilever stand" using some freebie tickets gained from his grunter of a grandfather..... Can't remember the rest ;)
I am sure my granddad knew what was gonna happen!!

Boxing Day '79. Stood in Leppings Lane corner terrace with my dad. Can remember the sound of the ball hitting the post or the bar from a United shot. Remember Curran's diving header and him celebrating in front of the United fans. I went back to school in January having put it out of my mind and got shedloads of stick, not just from Wendy fans but also from Liverpool/Man U fans/neutrals.

'79 for me too, although I did escape grief when I went back to school as there wasn't much call for Pigs where I was brought up at that time.

We've had this thread dozens of times mate - but you probably weren't to know that - and it's nice to reminisce.

Mine was 1970 (I think?). Bramall lane. Blades 3 Owls 2. A good game in which United had Wednesday on the rack for most of it and went 2-0 up, but the Owls bludgeoned their way back into it to make it 2-2. Then Blades sub, John Tudor, came on and scored a late winner. I remember being well impressed with Geoff Salmons in particular, who tore 'em a new one down the left flank.

Back
Top Bottom