Reality Check Please !!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Football globally is no longer a sport! It is an entertainment business. SUFC is not yet a part of that.
The EPL is supposedly the best league in the world. With few exceptions, it is dominated by foreign investment, and foreign management. The top 7 or 8 dominate using American or Middle eastern investment.
The exceptions, like Brentford or Brighton have investment, but a different business model.

Blades surprised everyone with a different football model, which worked because this model, driven by Wilder, was initially driven by innovation and some quality recruitment. Say what you like about Wilder, but his adoption of a new style of football and sensible player recruitment.
It fell down in his second season, and the root causes will continue to be debated.
The brand and the style was a success in football terms (PH has retained the formation).

The current business model is largely based on foreign investment and foreign management. Such external influence is likely unsustainable in my view.
The Glazier model faces considerable opposition, and it does not encourage football innovation. That oil and gas resources are funding the likes of Man City, is resisted by both football authorities and supporters in general. Strange that success there is fueled by the need for diversity required by oil money?
American investment is divided between new tech giants and sports management brands. Tech development is volatile and rapid, and the success of US sports brands are dependent on different regulations.

The system that most correctly reflects a desirable middle ground is found at Newcastle United. Howe has proven to be more than just a quality coach, but aims for a steady but purposeful business model, based on gradual improvements, through cautious recruitment.

The wild and often duplicitous investment model does not work and is unsustainable. The Wilder model was great to start with, but moved to quickly for such haphazard and expensive recruitment to be sustained.

Hence the rather arse about face position we now find ourselves in. We need to be patient to achieve that desirable model of development with sustainability. The Prince has realised that the fantasy level of football management and investment has no future. While I would always favour investment in the club, it has to be run as a successful business first, in order for football to develop and innovate.

Be careful what you wish for from new investment!

So I buy it and then throw it straight over the neighbours fence??
No ! It’s too strong and should go on the soil not the roses. Better still, add it to the compost.

Wasn't there one a user with the tag - relegation looms let's enjoy it?

I'd say let's not get on Hecky 's back either or call for daft sackings when he's not suddenly getting the better of Pep or Ten Haag etc.

Just stick with the team and see if us fans can make a difference and show how we would have helped in the last Prem season.
And how we did help in the Bassett seasons

What posters on here don’t realize is that although many like me ventilate their fears worries desires & ambitions for the club on this forum , once inside the Lane we care enough to be amongst the most vociferous supporters which is why at the age of 65 I still sing my heart out at the back of the kop.
Yes, if you can’t vent you sleep on a football forum, where can you do it?
Please realise whatever is said on here doesn’t affect the club one iota. Before forums existed, this sort of debate was on the toilet walls.

Yes, if you can’t vent you sleep on a football forum, where can you do it?
Please realise whatever is said on here doesn’t affect the club one iota. Before forums existed, this sort of debate was on the toilet walls.
Spleen…obviously

Well if your that convinced we are doomed don't go ..get enough negative bollocks from other clubs fans .

In fact rather negative nigels fucked off to meadowhall at game times rather than have non supportive vibes .
Well miss you but do come back when you can add something positive. .
Reality is anything can happen ... we were given between sod all and fuck all chance in 2017 and finished 9th

But that's my point, there shouldn't be one.

I grew up amongst the sights, sounds and indeed the scents of the terraces. It didn't hurt or traumatise me. I wasn't boxed into a sanitised special area where no form of expression is allowed.
Whereas I got my lad his first season ticket last year, next to me on the Kop, and we haven't renewed for the top flight because a combination of the tannoy being too loud, half the people around us being pissed up and the state of the toilets meant he started asking to leave before half time, and by the end of the season he just didn't want to go any more. So, y'know. Maybe some kids prefer a more chilled matchday experiences, and maybe that's fine.

Although the one time I did take him on the Family Stand there was a miserable old cunt right behind us giving Billy Sharp dog's abuse all game, so maybe it's not quite how you're picturing it over there either. 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 166182

Having the right mindset doesn't guarantee staying up......but having management, players and 30k fans that believe it's possible, makes a huge difference!!!💪

Just think, if you had 30k people moaning at you and telling you you couldn't do your job.....would make it a helluva lot harder than it needs to be!! 😅 enjoy, Blades⚔
Love the motto,however it does make the assumption that all our "supporters" have the inherent ability to THINK.......I'm not entirely convinced judging by some of the posts on here. Those few will have a job working out what it even means bless em.🙏.
Can't wait myself to get my gob going at BDTBL.All of it positive.🥳

I fully agree with all fans giving total and unequivocal support from game 1 to game 38.

I don't agree we're almost certainly going to get relegated (assuming we get another 2 or 3 necessary players). There could easily be 8 or 9 teams scrapping to avoid relegation.
I hope you're right mate .... i would HAPPILY take us slugging it out with 8 or 9 other teams IF we get another couple in and a couple (of good ones) on loan

UTB & FTP

I think what the OP is trying to say is that there will be some on here who will start slagging the team off if we are in a relegation tussle even though we all know it's going to be a difficult season.

Quite rightly we should be hoping to stay up but expect the likelihood relegation is very possible and take it as 38 free hits.
Thats exactly what I was meaning mate

UTB & FTP

The "Negative attitude"/"non-vocal" home support for me comes from the yo-yoing we have done over the last 20 years. If you think in the last 20 years go with 2003/04 season we have been in the Premiership for 3 seasons coming up to our 4th, Championship for 10 and League one for 6. I think our fans in general are a bit more knowledgeable about the game and certainly are realistic to the opportunities the club can deliver. Plus the chance of getting season tickets or a match day ticket is naturally very high compared with the top end clubs. If you are from Morecombe and you manage to get a Man City matchday ticket as a "die hard" fan because you have bought a shirt for the last 10 years when you go you are likely to make more noise than someone that goes every week. We have a hardcore fan base as shown with attendances in League 1 around years 3 & 4. I don't buy it that everyone must sing or chant if I wanted to do that I would join a choir, I will back the club but again if a player makes a mistake although sometimes it happens words of a more encouraging nature could be given until you see their wage packet. If they are part time footballers or U23s then fair enough but this is a results driven business of full time pros and ultimately if I want to chat to my mate about a negative move then I should be able to without being dictated I must sing and support at all times.

lets not forget we went down during the empty ground soul less covid season
covid was a metaphor for having negativity in the ground
covid droplets are like negative Nigels dripping gloom in your ears
2000 or so private Fraziers saying were Doomed I tell ye, who needs that
30000 come on you blade fans urging them on ,,is a different kettle of fish

so turn up sing a happy song and enjoy the ride

I think if we are sensible … the odds are stacked against us… and we are far more likely to be relegated than we are of staying up.

Yes we’ve made a few signings all of which are in the ‘gamble’ and ‘one for the future’ categories but unfortunately… in the prem … over the course of a season … class shows … however poor other teams perform they will have 3 or 4 players who can ‘win it in an instant’

Whilst I don’t think we will go down with a wimper we will more than likely be relegated but Derbys record is safe.

My opinion is the bottom 3 will be

Wolves
Blades
Luton

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion however, many negative opinions turn up to the games at Bramall Lane or away matches with the attitude we are going to lose.
That will kill the atmosphere and then it will get to our players on the pitch. we don,t know how many players will be signed or if one of our best players is going to be sold. Ndiaye. I hope he stays because it is very doubtful we will get a good replacement. before covid, we played Man Utd at Bramall Lane a brilliant game. I looked on the Man Utd website and played in an electric atmosphere. you do not see that in a match report very often..when we get behind our team we are the twelfth man. Opposing clubs and fans don't like it. but I love it a full Bramall Lane can create a tremendous atmosphere.our players enjoy and play better. I m a season ticket holder at the back of the Kop. with family and friends all season ticket holders. nowt better than winning that's why we keep going, whatever happens. So come on lads and lasses get behind the lads and help make Bramall Lane a fortress, UP THE BLADES.

Sorry all .... I'm a grumpy old man who's supported the Blades for 58 years now, but let's just please try to take a reality check. And apologies if I offend you with my comments ......

Reality check alert ..... We are almost certainly going to be relegated this season as we cannot compete financially with any of the other clubs except Luton .... the prince doesn't have the money, he's said that and we know it. Example, Burnley have just spent our transfer budget equivalent on a young keeper.

The best we can hope for is that a takeover occurs in the next couple of months, we get a new owner who has the best interests of the Club, and makes funds available in January. In the meantime, the Club must be run in a sustainable way and not get into financial difficulties like so many have done before. Our aim at the moment is surely to use our limited resources to assemble a younger, talented squad, with excellent potential, playing exciting effective football and able to compete for top two Championship next season.

So please ...... let's just be real, accept the (almost) inevitable, and get behind the lads as much as we can to make it as intimidating as we can for our OPPOSITION and support whoever is playing in the red and white stripes.

If you're not prepared to give total support, when our lads will be under the cosh from the first minute of the Premiership season, then don't say anything. They will need to know that we have their backs, not moaning when we make a mistake or concede a goal.

Make no mistake .... we will get ZERO refereeing decisions our way and ZERO decisions in our favour from VAR as we know that the referees look after their favourites.

This has been a public announcement calling for total unequivocal support for the Blades this season ;)👏🤞

COYRAWW UTB & FTP
1beud5 (1).jpg

Football globally is no longer a sport! It is an entertainment business. SUFC is not yet a part of that.
The EPL is supposedly the best league in the world. With few exceptions, it is dominated by foreign investment, and foreign management. The top 7 or 8 dominate using American or Middle eastern investment.
The exceptions, like Brentford or Brighton have investment, but a different business model.

Blades surprised everyone with a different football model, which worked because this model, driven by Wilder, was initially driven by innovation and some quality recruitment. Say what you like about Wilder, but his adoption of a new style of football and sensible player recruitment.
It fell down in his second season, and the root causes will continue to be debated.
The brand and the style was a success in football terms (PH has retained the formation).

The current business model is largely based on foreign investment and foreign management. Such external influence is likely unsustainable in my view.
The Glazier model faces considerable opposition, and it does not encourage football innovation. That oil and gas resources are funding the likes of Man City, is resisted by both football authorities and supporters in general. Strange that success there is fueled by the need for diversity required by oil money?
American investment is divided between new tech giants and sports management brands. Tech development is volatile and rapid, and the success of US sports brands are dependent on different regulations.

The system that most correctly reflects a desirable middle ground is found at Newcastle United. Howe has proven to be more than just a quality coach, but aims for a steady but purposeful business model, based on gradual improvements, through cautious recruitment.

The wild and often duplicitous investment model does not work and is unsustainable. The Wilder model was great to start with, but moved to quickly for such haphazard and expensive recruitment to be sustained.

Hence the rather arse about face position we now find ourselves in. We need to be patient to achieve that desirable model of development with sustainability. The Prince has realised that the fantasy level of football management and investment has no future. While I would always favour investment in the club, it has to be run as a successful business first, in order for football to develop and innovate.

Wilder brought the team spirit to a level not seen for years, players not costing much, so if not coming off we didn't lose much. Then when we did well first season in premiership he started to believe his own publicity, teams worked out his system and no plan b. Made wild over priced punts in the second season, in a desperate attempt to save us, but he was out of his depth, used to working in lower league polishing players into diamonds, he splashed out on hopefuls that haven't yet paid off, and it didn't work, now we are left to pay off those fees with no money to really sign the finished article and back to scraping the barrel

Yes it all ended in tears, BUT it were bloody great up to then.
Thank you Mr Wilder, 👍 👍 👍

Surprised that hasn't popped up in the 'Unpopular opinions' thread.

Four fantastic seasons and one shit one, has left some of our 'fans' thinking Wilder was the anti-Christ.

You ARE correct and it 'was bloody great'.

I wonder what income was coming in and expenditure was last time we were promoted? Plus the amount of debt we had? I’m trying to compare what money we had back then that allowed us to spend how we did compared to now obviously things are different.

Fantastic post mate

Saying we are going down already, isn’t supporting the team. Whatever he says after is irrelevant.
I will always sing till my lungs burst from Row YY of the kop but I can also acknowlege the plain fact that we are second favorites to be relegated - I am still a supporter in the only tangible way which influences my team.

I will always sing till my lungs burst from Row YY of the kop but I can also acknowlege the plain fact that we are second favorites to be relegated - I am still a supporter in the only tangible way which influences my team.
Wouldn’t it be better for you, and the team, to approach next season with optimism though? That filters through to the team on the pitch, and has we have seen previously, can have an affect.

Bipolar, French or just a failed motivational speaker?;)

100% with you on the total support and no moaning btw

However.............
We arent 'almost certainly inevitably going to be relegated - alongside us, Luton, Burnley, Everton, Wolves, Bournemouth will be down there, as will possibly Forest & Palace . Add to the mix the inevitable suprise fall from grace - Fulham, Brentford, West Ham and you have half a division all whos first task of the season is to get to 40 points.

Personally I think Wolves are in big trouble, Palace may get a bid for Olise or Eze, and having lost Zaha they then become bang average. Everton have a FFP issue, and have only brought in Danjuma on loan and freebie Ashley Young - what if Fulham lose Silva and Mitro to Saudi just before kick off? West Ham flirted with relegation last season, and have lost their best player

Last season all 3 promoted teams stayed up, our first season up we finished 9th with the core of the promotion team, that was key then, and it could be now

We have 37 days of the transfer window to go, who knows what that will bring?

I appreciate a pessimist is never disappointed, but FFS man, dont be so resigned to it, is Hecky? are the players? how would you feel if Hecky came out and said what you have?

Its not going to be easy, but no one gets relegated on the 26th July
Certainly not French 🙈 .... just been there on the rollercoaster ride for so many decades that I hope I'm realistic about our chances. Of course I want us to stop up, and I hope you're right about so many "contenders" for the bottom three, but unless we sign 4/5 stand-out -players in this window it's going to be a real up-hill battle for us.

Thats just accepting reality in my book ..... and I agree with you that I wouldn't expect Hecky to say it ..... but I bet he's got one eye on a promotion push next season with his planning.

I will support the players in red and white stripes as i have done for decades ..... its the hope that kicks you in the soft bits 🙈

UTB & FTP

Let’s hope you find another club to support for your 59th year, because you certainly aren’t supporting the Blades for it.

I believe that you're missing my point mate ..... It's the people who are moaning and grousing about the players we have, the ones we have signed, and the tens of millions (that we don't have) which we aren't spending that are not supporting the Club. Or should I clarify, are not being realistic (IMHO).

I will support them with my last breath ....

UTB & FTP

Back
Top Bottom