Pivotal Moments

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Champagneblade

Reaction score
It feels like 1 point from 30 is the absolute worst we could have garnered to be honest.

It got me thinking what the pivotal moments were that we didn’t take or didn’t go our way.

Palace - can’t honestly think of any.

Forest - at 1-1 Traore gets out through on goal and strikes a weak shot too close to the keeper. Would have certainly secured a point minimum in a cagey game.

Man City - at 1-1 Larouci not booting the ball to Kingdom come instead of keeping it in and getting robbed. Might still have lost but so late on, a point was a distinct possibility.

Everton - last minute bad fortune as Pickford saves onto the bar, ball gets hooked towards goal, fortuitously hits him in the face, onto the post and fortuitously back into his arms as he lays on the floor.

Tottenham - winning up until the 98th minute in a classic smash and grab match, we concede. With scarcely 3 minutes remaining Ahmedhodzic fails to clear lines and we find ourselves short at the back when we should have been composed and parking the bus for a decent point.

Newcastle - not much to say about a game that finishes 8-0, though I would say that daily could be found with all three first half goals for handball, handball leading to the corner, and foul harshly given. Probably suggest the club should have considered just not playing the game.

West Ham - clutching but immediately prior to their opening goal, Bogle was given as offside when he wasn’t which killed the prior attack, leading to the move which created the goal. Also was a blind pass with your back to play really the right decision from Hamer?

Fulham - not much to say again about a game which we lost by two clear goals though it is typical that the goal to make it 2-1 was a fluke as Cairney slipped when striking the ball, making it loop. Just happens to teams at the bottom.

Man U - nothing wrong with any goals though McBurnie going off really
Put dampener on our effectiveness and calls into question the construction of our squad. Why do we have a number of mobile, slippery players yet only one with any physical strength?

Understand this might read like the fine margins of the Wilder days but I feel there have been key moments to turn the course of the season and in each case we’ve either not taken the right decision or something hasn’t quite turned the way we wanted it.

However, you have to make your own luck and both Anel and Larouci doing defending 101 could have got us two unlikely points. Likewise untimely injuries can surely be avoided with better conditioning programs.

It just makes you realise the margin for error at this level is so narrow. We simply have to be better at the basics. Whilst we don’t seem a good team right now, the lack of basics such as ball retention when not under pressure is something they really needs to be addressed.

A pivotal moment in the Man U game was Michael Oliver declining to award a penalty for a clear foul on McAtee at 1-1.

It was a clear shove in the back and Oliver had a clear unobstructed view of it. Precisely the sort of crucial incident that has haunted Maguire for 18 months and has led to him being pilloried by the media and own fans.

It just so happens, however, that by the time Man U rocked up at the Lane, everyone was a couple of weeks into the current climate of ’be kind to Harry’ after the nadir of the Scotland v England match. Oliver, thus, declines to award a clear penalty.

And, let’s not be in any doubt that the foul itself was sufficient to constitute an offence in Oliver’s mind. Just look at the penalty that Oliver, as VAR, told Tierney to award against Man U just 8 days later in the Manchester derby - barely any contact at all on the Man City player.

You could look at all the goals we've let in where players were unmarked in the box as pivotal moments too. Against Palace, Forest and Everton we let in 4 goals from players abandoning the player we were marking to attack the ball instead, but at the time fans were too eager to blame Lowe and Larouci instead of Anel and Egan, because they didn't want to accept that our "top players" were utter crap in the Premier League. It was easier to take it out on the other two, or bizarrely Jack Robinson, even though at the time he was not only our best and most reliable defender, but best player full stop.

Not getting a powerful striker in the mould of Akpom , to lead the line with / to step in for , Mcburnie.

Not recruiting Doyle which results in us carrying on with Norwood

Recruiting Suza - omg 😱.

Not bringing in a competent LWB

Plus all the other stuff people have said

There are lots of moments where teams could have had a lot more goals against us but for poor finishing. Both Manchester clubs in reality should have won by a lot more. West Ham dominated us in that 1st half and 2-0 was a bit of a blessing. Similar when other teams like Forest and Palace have had 30-40 minute spells in games where they've not been clinical and could have been way ahead.

Compare this to the first 10 games of Wilders 2nd season of Prem games, where I actually felt we competed and were genuinely unlucky. The Leeds and Villa games, Wolves was a mad 6 minutes.

Granted as time went on we did get more and more ineffictive but I dont think we got dominated (conceding so many chances and creating so few) to this extent.

I would have much preferred the signing of Akpom to Archer due to Mc Burnie's injury and suspension record.
Doyle instead of Norwood is a good call too.

Rather than trying to badge games up as having ‘fine margins’ I think it’s more important that we stop conceding so many shots every game and create a few more opportunities ourselves.

No one could have argued if City were 3 nil up at half time, Spurs were terrible in our box until added on time, Everton had a couple of good chances before we had a last minute rally. We could have been out of all of those games a long time before we were.

McBurnie not burying that rebound against Everton was a huge one. The monkey on our backs of zero wins is one that is going to be very hard to shake off.

Archer twice trying to dribble the ball out on the edge of his own box leading directly to goals.....Hamer, (another one who barely comes in for any criticism) giving the ball away constantly, Norwood giving the ball away constantly as well as diving into tackles and giving away free kicks, not to mention still being incapable of beating the first man.......the list goes on and it is fucking endless.....we are weaker now than when we got promoted and the squad is just not anywhere near premiership level.

there's no pivotal moments at all, we are just not good enough across the board....

I would have much preferred the signing of Akpom to Archer due to Mc Burnie's injury and suspension record.
Doyle instead of Norwood is a good call too.
I'm not arguing with you or your point here...but let's just look at how the Akpom to Ajax thing went...Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 17.37.33.png

Completely agree we haven't had those rub of the greens. Even that forest match with Traore chance. He'd got cramp, had he not he might have raced clearer away and rounded the keeper perhaps.

What I would say is that usually you make your own luck over a season.
For me have we had a match where we can genuinely say "overall we were the better team in that match."
I don't think we can. Maybe on a par with Everton. We've had periods in games on top but not for long enough.

Not getting a powerful striker in the mould of Akpom , to lead the line with / to step in for , Mcburnie.

Not recruiting Doyle which results in us carrying on with Norwood

Recruiting Suza - omg 😱.

Not bringing in a competent LWB

Plus all the other stuff people have said
We all have a degree in hindsight, but back then….

Akpom was been questioned as a one season wonder at 28, Archer was the future and imo the better of the 2, we were never getting both

Doyle was probably never an option once we got Hamer, and at £5m was a makeweight in then Nunes transfer, real value £15m?

Souza was standout midfielder in a relegation side, something we knew we’d be in - hes here to get EPL experience as a player in City world, he’s no mug

Agree on LWB, also I wanted a strong GK to put pressure on Wes

Had Pickford not pulled off a worldie and we’d kept concentration at Spurs we would be on at least 6 points and have confidence, something which atm is fragile

For me, the spurs game crushed ‘em

It feels like 1 point from 30 is the absolute worst we could have garnered to be honest.

It got me thinking what the pivotal moments were that we didn’t take or didn’t go our way.

Forest - at 1-1 Traore gets out through on goal and strikes a weak shot too close to the keeper. Would have certainly secured a point minimum in a cagey game.

Man City - at 1-1 Larouci not booting the ball to Kingdom come instead of keeping it in and getting robbed. Might still have lost but so late on, a point was a distinct possibility.

Everton - last minute bad fortune as Pickford saves onto the bar, ball gets hooked towards goal, fortuitously hits him in the face, onto the post and fortuitously back into his arms as he lays on the floor.

Tottenham - winning up until the 98th minute in a classic smash and grab match, we concede. With scarcely 3 minutes remaining Ahmedhodzic fails to clear lines and we find ourselves short at the back when we should have been composed and parking the bus for a decent point.

Newcastle - not much to say about a game that finishes 8-0, though I would say that daily could be found with all three first half goals for handball, handball leading to the corner, and foul harshly given. Probably suggest the club should have considered just not playing the game.

West Ham - clutching but immediately prior to their opening goal, Bogle was given as offside when he wasn’t which killed the prior attack, leading to the move which created the goal. Also was a blind pass with your back to play really the right decision from Hamer?

Fulham - not much to say again about a game which we lost by two clear goals though it is typical that the goal to make it 2-1 was a fluke as Cairney slipped when striking the ball, making it loop. Just happens to teams at the bottom.

Put dampener on our effectiveness and calls into question the construction of our squad. Why do we have a number of mobile, slippery players yet only one with any physical strength?

Understand this might read like the fine margins of the Wilder days but I feel there have been key moments to turn the course of the season and in each case we’ve either not taken the right decision or something hasn’t quite turned the way we wanted it.

However, you have to make your own luck and both Anel and Larouci doing defending 101 could have got us two unlikely points. Likewise untimely injuries can surely be avoided with better conditioning programs.

It just makes you realise the margin for error at this level is so narrow. We simply have to be better at the basics. Whilst we don’t seem a good team right now, the lack of basics such as ball retention when not under pressure is something they really needs to be addressed.

We have the worst XG in Europes top 5 leagues

There are no pivotal moments where we could have won a game etc ….

We are utter tosh until this manager changes imo

Other pivotal moments :

Haaland scores first half penalty we are 2-0 down no way back game over,

Archer 2nd goal hits Post bounces off Pickford ,goes wide we lose 1-2

The other teams we play actually have their shooting boots on bar Newcastle, we concede 4 in every single game bar none

A pivotal moment in the Man U game was Michael Oliver declining to award a penalty for a clear foul on McAtee at 1-1.

It was a clear shove in the back and Oliver had a clear unobstructed view of it. Precisely the sort of crucial incident that has haunted Maguire for 18 months and has led to him being pilloried by the media and own fans.

It just so happens, however, that by the time Man U rocked up at the Lane, everyone was a couple of weeks into the current climate of ’be kind to Harry’ after the nadir of the Scotland v England match. Oliver, thus, declines to award a clear penalty.

And, let’s not be in any doubt that the foul itself was sufficient to constitute an offence in Oliver’s mind. Just look at the penalty that Oliver, as VAR, told Tierney to award against Man U just 8 days later in the Manchester derby - barely any contact at all on the Man City player.
That, is spot on.

We have the worst XG in Europes top 5 leagues

There are no pivotal moments where we could have won a game etc ….

We are utter tosh until this manager changes imo
Changing the manager is only one possible solution! It might be the right one, but I wouldn’t bet on it!

Spending the pre season running a programme more akin to League Two as opposed to getting some world leading sports science experts in so as to ensure whatever we lacked in quality, we'd make up for in lung busting energy and stamina.

Losing at Spurs the way we did has killed these players.

I can still see Robinson pounding both fists into the ground in the six yard box after the 2nd goal went in.
Losing at Spurs the way we did has killed these players.

I can still see Robinson pounding both fists into the ground in the six yard box after the 2nd goal went in.
I think that the Spurs game followed by the Gordon handball in the Newcastle game broke their spirit. The realisation that we weren’t just playing against 11 really sunk in.

Agree with others in that It will end up being the crushing manner of the Spurs defeat.

Tear jearker 😢

UTB

Okay… now do the same for the opposition team. You have been able to write down our nearly chances.

I understand it’ll take a few weeks to type out.

Be a few paragraphs for the Tottenham game alone. I wish you luck.

Cracking post, Champers. I'd be thinking about writing one similar and decided against it, as I'd expected to get shot down. Purely because these pivotal moments are set against a backdrop of us not looking good enough overall, and I thought I'd come across as clutching at straws...

But when you put it how you have, we have had moments of poor luck, or poor decision making that could've provided us with a few extra points along the way. The Spurs defeat, City defeat hit hard and were close together, properly knocking the stuffing out of a squad that was newly formed and trying to gel and build confidence/trust together.

Considering the number of shots we've faced every single game and the whopping differential between our XG for Vrs XG against, this viewpoint/thread really is pearl clutching.

We've been second best in every game and thoroughly deserve to be where we are.

We're second best physically too (which is really boiling my piss!!) which further exacerbates how far off we really are.

We so underprepared physically, skillfully, tactically, emotionally - any claiming 'it could be different' really isn't paying attention.

For me it was the day the pigeons disappeared, we’ve never been the same since.

The moment we sold Ndiaye the season was over. And we have about as much luck as Helen Keller.

Back
Top Bottom