Paul Coutts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

His second season was mind numbing.
Having said that I was shocked when he got the bullet got it in my mind Mcabe would give him until Xmas at least.

He got sacked on my birthday as it happens. I found that quite satisfying.

His second season was mind numbing.
Having said that I was shocked when he got the bullet got it in my mind Mcabe would give him until Xmas at least.
The second season was right down there with Blackwell's last full one. An utter borefest.

Why did he get the sack though? No one knows but I suspect he wasn't going to be the yes man McCabe wanted.
Though many people wanted to give another manager more time, there were few who were totally surprised he was binned. The end of that season was shambolic, and Phipps being surrounded by his own fans at Swindon singing "sacked in the morning", watching an expensively assembled squad without a single centre half, won't have helped.

Clough can't possibly have had control on the purse strings, so I can't see it being about McCabe wanting a yes man - unless he was wanting to finally take control of the shambles that was forming.

UTB

Why did he get the sack though? No one knows but I suspect he wasn't going to be the yes man McCabe wanted.
Thought one of the reasons was that he insisted on signing Shaun Barker when revealing his recruitment plans for 2015/16 to Jim Phipps and someone else (forgot who)

Ok, I'm converted. That's four or five good games in a row now. Today he was fantastic on the ball, again. Also stronger and quicker than their midfielders. The moment in the first half when he chased their wide player down, muscled him off the ball and then started a United move with a composed pass summed it up. A player transformed.

Wilder has to take great credit for changing certain players mentality

Ok, I'm converted. That's four or five good games in a row now. Today he was fantastic on the ball, again. Also stronger and quicker than their midfielders. The moment in the first half when he chased their wide player down, muscled him off the ball and then started a United move with a composed pass summed it up. A player transformed.

Wilder has to take great credit for changing certain players mentality
A team transformed.
How long have we being saying we would hammer someone???
Every box ticked.ruthless home performance that's been promised for years!!! We were well over due that.
Eel is turning into the next page/Murphy /Morgan. We've not had that since morgs packed in.
I'm in love with the club again. Not said that for years.

Coutts......Again.....Adkins didn't know what he had under his nose and instead of playing a side around the best player in the squad, he chose to make a side around Hammond!

He's getting better and better....,goals are going to be next.

We will be lucky to have him next season, and maybe after January if he keeps these performances up!! I can assure you all this.....not many would have been desperate for Coutts to be on a new longer term contract other than me....but I bet there are now.
And another thing, anyone thinking we might be able to get him on a new cheaper deal will have to think again. He will want (and get) at least what he's on now.

Saw a bit of the Scotland game the other day....tell you what....he could have done a job better than some of the shite they had playing! So a Scotland call up will Ben on his radar, and another reason why we will have to fork out to keep a player not so long ago we thought would be a goner.

Can't credit Wilder and the player himself enough for getting him playing to his potential.

I can imagine "no nonsense" Chris Wilder arriving at BDTBL, and saying to Coutts,

"you swan around here like you are the best midfielder in League 1",
"I am boss",
"right then, go out and show me that you are, every week, then I'll believe you"
"ok boss!"

I reckon his goal against Walsall has given him a boost. Looked even better today. Can't remember him giving the ball away. I even recall a Coutts header. Excellent tracking back aswel!

Coutts......Again.....Adkins didn't know what he had under his nose and instead of playing a side around the best player in the squad, he chose to make a side around Hammond!

He's getting better and better....,goals are going to be next.

We will be lucky to have him next season, and maybe after January if he keeps these performances up!! I can assure you all this.....not many would have been desperate for Coutts to be on a new longer term contract other than me....but I bet there are now.
And another thing, anyone thinking we might be able to get him on a new cheaper deal will have to think again. He will want (and get) at least what he's on now.

Saw a bit of the Scotland game the other day....tell you what....he could have done a job better than some of the shite they had playing! So a Scotland call up will Ben on his radar, and another reason why we will have to fork out to keep a player not so long ago we thought would be a goner.

Can't credit Wilder and the player himself enough for getting him playing to his potential.

And credit too to the fitness coach for Paul's speed and stamina. It is not just Coutts that is benefiting, they all look fitter and faster.

He was immense today. Always saw a player in there hiding behind the lazy, neshness.

He playing the ball around beautifully still, but lasting 90 minutes and getting the ball back when we lose it.

There were a couple of occasions where he out paced / muscled the oppo tracking back - he then has the composure to move the ball on and turn defence into attack.

Love watching him at the minute. Him and fleck were both excellent yesterday and showed us it can work as a central partnership.

Fucking loved it...4-0!!!!!!!!

He is what he is.

Nesh ? Tick.

Somewhat lazy (albeit less so these days) ? Tick.

The most technically capable midfielder in the division ????

Sit back in your seat.

Enjoy :)

UTB

He is what he is.

Nesh ? Tick.

Somewhat lazy (albeit less so these days) ? Tick.

The most technically capable midfielder in the division ????

Sit back in your seat.

Enjoy :)

UTB
I guess that you didn't see the game yesterday. I have accused him of all of those shortcomings previously but he looked (to me) as if he was the real deal yesterday. The fans there certainly recognised, praised and applauded him loudly too for his contributions

I guess that you didn't see the game yesterday. I have accused him of all of those shortcomings previously but he looked (to me) as if he was the real deal yesterday. The fans there certainly recognised, praised and applauded him loudly too for his contributions
Oh I saw the game HM. And I agree.

But he is never gonna be a Roy Keane type CM, and that's really my point. He just isn't the crunching tackle type.

But he does have obvious other qualities and has improved in areas he isn't so good.

His ability and vision to read the game is, in my opinion, PL standard.

UTB

One of the two big surprises this season for me, along with Wright. I thought his bad injuries had taken their toll and he just wasn't physically capable of what he's doing now. But he's now the player we thought we'd signed.

Oh I saw the game HM. And I agree.

But he is never gonna be a Roy Keane type CM, and that's really my point. He just isn't the crunching tackle type.

But he does have obvious other qualities and has improved in areas he isn't so good.

His ability and vision to read the game is, in my opinion, PL standard.

UTB
Apologies DRB I missed the original point that you were making about his tackling qualities but please remember that not all great midfielders were hard tacklers. TC had Trevor Hockey do that job for him and Bobby Charlton had Nobby Stiles do the dirty work for him.
In our current team we have Chris Basham and John Fleck to win the ball in the middle for us.
There aren't many players that have suffered really serious injuries that go gung ho into really physical challenges after such a long recovery process.

Time for the weekly Coutts thread bump.

That was a superb ASSIST tonight.

That's right, an ASSIST. To go with his GOAL against Walsall.

Is he completely unquestionable now?

In the spirit of raising old threads recently, thought this one might be a good read.

Coutts added consistency......now undroppable. 10 more games and job done.

If he's in the right system with the right players around him he's more than capable of playing in a promotion team in L1.

3-5-2. Fleck. Duffy. Top of the league. Point proven.

Agreed, I called the 3-5-2 early in the thread but was more making the point about Coutts, and how looking at some of the names in the thread those have rightly acknowledged the about turn in their thinking.

Not many saying they want him out now or doubt him it all.

Back
Top Bottom