Our penalty shootout record

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

sheff_blade90

Reaction score
i saw a few people wondering about this so i thought id have a look. i think that was our 8th consecutive shootout defeat. & our last penalty victory was 8 years ago in 1st round of the old JPT

Screenshot_20230830_235325_Samsung Internet.jpg

if you wanted to know the last time we won a shootout at bramall lane, i believe it was 18 & half years ago v west ham (sorry HammerInPeace 😄)

Screenshot_20230830_235939_Samsung Internet.jpg

Someone please confirm I didn't imagine Paddy Kenny missing a pen in the shootout v Watford in 04/05

Glad somebody else has picked up on this. Losing 6 shootouts in a row is quite something.

According to transfermarkt we have a 33% success rate since 2001 (where their records seem to stretch) which must surely be one of the lowest of all league sides. Before then obviously we had 3 successful shoot outs against Blackburn, Coventry and the now defunct Rushden and Diamonds. Not sure how many shootouts we were involved in before then.

The reason for last night’s dismal set of penalties was fairly obvious, they were taken by a centre half, a small child, and somebody who did a stupid run up (please for the love of god stop doing the stupid run ups, they never work). Beyond that not sure what you could point to for being so bad at them.

It gets more depressing when you factor in the fact that many of us are England fans. England have won 1 in 6 over the same period. So essentially when a team I am supporting are involved in a shootout there is roughly a 1 in 5 chance they will actually win….for absolutely no discernible reason.

Glad somebody else has picked up on this. Losing 6 shootouts in a row is quite something.

According to transfermarkt we have a 33% success rate since 2001 (where their records seem to stretch) which must surely be one of the lowest of all league sides. Before then obviously we had 3 successful shoot outs against Blackburn, Coventry and the now defunct Rushden and Diamonds. Not sure how many shootouts we were involved in before then.

The reason for last night’s dismal set of penalties was fairly obvious, they were taken by a centre half, a small child, and somebody who did a stupid run up (please for the love of god stop doing the stupid run ups, they never work). Beyond that not sure what you could point to for being so bad at them.

It gets more depressing when you factor in the fact that many of us are England fans. England have won 1 in 6 over the same period. So essentially when a team I am supporting are involved in a shootout there is roughly a 1 in 5 chance they will actually win….for absolutely no discernible reason.
just looked its grim, in the same time frame since the millennium. england & blades had 25 shootouts & won 7 . since the Hartlepool game in 2015, both club & country have had 9 shootouts & won 1

(as nobody counts 3rd place play off in the nations league, as a serious competitive game )

The reason is we are shit at penalties.

I switch off when it goes to penalties. Multiple different managers have never sorted this issue even Warnock with his 300 strikers.

i saw a few people wondering about this so i thought id have a look. i think that was our 8th consecutive shootout defeat. & our last penalty victory was 8 years ago in 1st round of the old JPT

View attachment 169808

if you wanted to know the last time we won a shootout at bramall lane, i believe it was 18 & half years ago v west ham (sorry HammerInPeace 😄)

View attachment 169809
Fuck me, is that a slip of a lad Jags with all that hair? That’s a long long time ago.

On the day of the game I got a free ticket for the Hartlepool EFL game through work. Didn't check it, just drove up there and didn't realise until I got there it was in their home end!
I kept quiet until the winning penalty went in (can't remember who scored it - Silent??).
Got a load of stares but managed to leg it quickly as it was the last kick of the game.
I never thought that we wouldn't win another penalty shoot out 8 years on!! Grim.

4-1 to Fleetwood. Regardless of the opposition, how is it possible to only score one penalty in a shootout? How bad must they have been that day?

Maybe it's because I've only just got up that I can't work it out/remember, but what's the top one 4-4 against Forest about? 🤔

4-1 to Fleetwood. Regardless of the opposition, how is it possible to only score one penalty in a shootout? How bad must they have been that day?

Oli Arblaster's Port Vale beat Crewe 2-0 on pens the other night - Crewe missed all four!

I also once saw Swindon miss all four at Barnet in a 2-0 shootout loss, only one of which actually required the keeper to save it (Barnet also missed the target with one for the banter).

I'm writing an article about our goalkeepers over the years and included is their record in shoot outs. Now bloody Davies has saved one I might have to update it!

Back
Top Bottom