My take ....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not seen the game, but didn't we tweak the shape yesterday.. Was it more a 343?..i'm just going on the line up and Hecky mentioning changing the shape.
Yes, wasn't quite sure of the final shape, the weather made it difficult!! Also dropped to a back 4 vs QPR later on. More through necessity I think. But we suddenly played with more attacking urgency than for the previous 75 minutes.

I'll just say we won two nill and we who was there didn't have to listen to that cockney tune when they score.thats good enough for me .

I see the experts had both Sheffield clubs down for a defeat, show's how much they know !
As for Sander B.
When ever I see him play I always get the feeling he would be much happier with one of the Big named rich Media lovey clubs ,he's never going to truly fit in with us, ever.....
He's a show horse we need a work horse.......

The old 3rd round cup day doesn't have the same feel it used to have 50yr ago for me. I was so disinterested I forgot to watch the first 10 mins, saw there were about five changes from the last game. Got settled in front of the screen with a beer just in time to see Jebbo open the scoring and another one added a bit later by Bogle togive us a nice comfy cushion to take into HT. Not much happened 2nd half apart from substitutions and a monsoon like thunder storm towards the end. We saw the game out rather easily which does make a pleasing change to our usual 2nd half panic stations. How the hell are Millwau up in the top six? Surely it won't be that easy when we return for the league game in a few weeks. Cant really mark anyone lower than a 6 half the team 7 with a couple of 8's.

Still someone had to spoil the day so along come the Barcodes to once again go out to another set of lower league scrubbers, I don't suppose we will hear the last of that for a few weeks despite only 20,000 pigs turning out. Massive my arse.
Wednesday were the better team.

s somebody remarked on the TV - the Cup is a short route to some silverware for those capable of achieving it.

Not at all. Norwood is finally doing his job, instead of showponying long balls and losing the midfield contest. For the best part of a year now, he's been a worthy player and ... strangely uninjured.

Berge however is surfing on a small wavelet of 'he's returning from injury' which to some is nothing more than a ripple. For all the 'helluva player' nonsense he's still failing to live up to any reputation or transfer fee and coasting through games. We barely felt his absence yesterday and when he came on, he created a gap rather than enhanced our on field presence. Yup, some will get some tumescence over his late run onto a long ball, but is it anything anyone else couldn't have completed?

There's nowt special about Sander Berge in this team. Unless he shacks hissen and plugs into what 5-3-2 actually means and what he can do he's gonna continue to be a fairly useless asset in a formation where the midfield is a critical component. With some tasty games ahead in our run in, you'll see how much as we try to maintain that air gap from the chasing pack and challenge Burnley for the title. And there are players in our team who cost a fraction of what he did who are far more worthy of a place in the starting lineup.

pommpey
I'm not really disagreeing with your views on Berge, but the greying out of his score and omitting completely I think is bait. I'm disappointed that I'm the only one who's bitten

Not seen the game, but didn't we tweak the shape yesterday.. Was it more a 343?..i'm just going on the line up and Hecky mentioning changing the shape.
It was with two inside forwards, like when Heckingbottom first came in. I actually always thought this worked well and looked more balanced than the three in a V or Berge as an 8 1/2.

Right, cheers mate..Jebbo gives us that option.. hopefully he'll keep progressing, he's done well of late,as has McAtee.. Great first time pass which took about 4 of their players out of the game, and nice near post finish.

I'm not really disagreeing with your views on Berge, but the greying out of his score and omitting completely I think is bait. I'm disappointed that I'm the only one who's bitten

So, let's discuss Berge, rather than my greying out of Berge, what you think about that, and what you think about other people failing to share your concerns about it.

What exactly does he bring to our game? Is he worth his money or his reputation? If so, show your working out.

pommpey

So, let's discuss Berge, rather than my greying out of Berge, what you think about that, and what you think about other people failing to share your concerns about it.

What exactly does he bring to our game? Is he worth his money or his reputation? If so, show your working out.

pommpey

He carries the ball into dangerous areas and tees up big chances with good deliveries.
He can also be a goal threat himself.

Out of possession, he does look a weak link at the moment and he isn't showing enough for the ball.
Some of that is a lack of match fitness, but a lot of it does seem to be a mentality thing as he's been unwilling to proactively dictate the tempo (see Norwood) since he's been here.

When we're good, Berge tends to be very good.
When we're not, he's often a passenger.
It's a shame because he does have the qualities to be so much more.
Regardless of what happens this season, I think it would be best for all parties if he took on a fresh challenge, away from Bramall Lane, next season.

Still can be a difference maker at this level though, so we need to keep hold this window (especially as we know a minimal % of the fee would be reinvested - see Ismael Kone).

He carries the ball into dangerous areas and tees up big chances with good deliveries.

Out of possession, he does look a weak link at the moment and he isn't showing enough for the ball.
Some of that is a lack of match fitness, but a lot of it does seem to be a mentality thing as he's been unwilling to proactively dictate the tempo (see Norwood) since he's been here.

Regardless of what happens this season, I think it would be best for all parties if he took on a fresh challenge, away from Bramall Lane, next season.

Still can be a difference maker at this level though, so we need to keep hold this window (especially as we know a minimal % of the fee would be reinvested - see Ismael Kone).

Good comments and I'll agree ref the 'carrying ball' bit. But a large amount of our goals this season haven't come from him. Norwood has been far more prolific in creation and he plays from a deeper position. Berge, for all his gifts, vanishes completely out of the game and to cite 'lack of match fitness' either spells something on his part reference personal conditioning or the club's part in that 'is he ready for this game'?

I simply think he is in the wrong club now and is disillusioned with where he is and what he's asked to do. It's a tough league, he's limited in what physicality is required to match the expectation and as opposed to other incomers like McAtee and Doyle, struggles with the concept of a three man midfield and outlying wingbacks. I just don't think he gets it, or likes it.

He's a lovely lad, has capability, but you're right, it's not at this club

Another red-faced, grunting, fucking transfer nappyfiller from Mr Chris Wilder

pommpey

Good comments and I'll agree ref the 'carrying ball' bit. But a large amount of our goals this season haven't come from him. Norwood has been far more prolific in creation and he plays from a deeper position. Berge, for all his gifts, vanishes completely out of the game and to cite 'lack of match fitness' either spells something on his part reference personal conditioning or the club's part in that 'is he ready for this game'?

I simply think he is in the wrong club now and is disillusioned with where he is and what he's asked to do. It's a tough league, he's limited in what physicality is required to match the expectation and as opposed to other incomers like McAtee and Doyle, struggles with the concept of a three man midfield and outlying wingbacks. I just don't think he gets it, or likes it.

pommpey
Then let’s hope he gets his arse in gear and contributes more to us getting to a place we want to be and becomes noticed for doing so

Then he may end up in a place he wants to be whether that’s in the Prem with us / someone else or he gets a transfer to a vanilla European club where he can be a bigger fish getting away with doing not much but looks better at doing it

pommpey
Agree with all of that.

I think he's probably not just at the wrong club but in the wrong country. He's a stroller and struggles with the pace of the game. He looks really good when we're dominating but otherwise is in and out, at best.

The issue as well is that if we do go up we'll have much less possession. His off-the-ball work is poor by any standard. He never seems to want the ball and defensively is often invisible. He's twice as strong on the ball around the opposition box than anywhere else on the pitch! He'd be even more limited in a team which will need to play on the counter.

And then his contract is up in 18 months. His value will plummet next summer. He can just sit it out for a free transfer.

Everything is complicated by the takeover, but if it wasn't happening I'd be looking to cash in and use the money to bring in a player who will help us more towards promotion.

And then his contract is up in 18 months. His value will plummet next summer. He can just sit it out for a free transfer.

Everything is complicated by the takeover, but if it wasn't happening I'd be looking to cash in and use the money to bring in a player who will help us more towards promotion.

It seems we were holding out for money close to what we paid for him last Summer (£20-25m).
Now, if we could get circa £15m for him and knew we could reinvest all of it, then I would definitely sell.
I think we could bring in at least 2 real difference makers with that sort of money.

The reality is, we were only going to be allowed to spend around £4m of the fee IF we got an agreement at around £20m.
As you say, the takeover complicates everything further still. We're best served holding on and seeing if he can make the difference that we know he can.

It seems we were holding out for money close to what we paid for him last Summer (£20-25m).
Now, if we could get circa £15m for him and knew we could reinvest all of it, then I would definitely sell.
I think we could bring in at least 2 real difference makers with that sort of money.

The reality is, we were only going to be allowed to spend around £4m of the fee IF we got an agreement at around £20m.
As you say, the takeover complicates everything further still. We're best served holding on and seeing if he can make the difference that we know he can.

We bought him as a Premier League club, hence the price.

We'd be selling him as a second-season Championship club, so it won't be big dollars. Plus the fact he's been injured for lengthy spells during the past two seasons and not exactly ripped up the pitch when he's been playing either.

If a club offered us £10m for him I'd snatch their hand off, but it will be in instalments and possibly subject to salami slicing to fund other things rather than a replacement.

If we sold NDaiye, I'd be fucking outraged and heartbroken. If we sold Berge or Brewster (remember him?) less so.

pommpey

We'd be selling him as a second-season Championship club, so it won't be big dollars. Plus the fact he's been injured for lengthy spells during the past two seasons and not exactly ripped up the pitch when he's been playing either.

If a club offered us £10m for him I'd snatch their hand off, but it will be in instalments and possibly subject to salami slicing to fund other things rather than a replacement.

If we sold NDaiye, I'd be fucking outraged and heartbroken. If we sold Berge or Brewster (remember him?) less so.

pommpey
if he helps us get to the premier league i think its 15/20m pommp if we dont or sell him this month yes 10m would be a good deal for us with the amount of time left on his contract at the moment for me hes 4th choice midfielder behind norwood doyle and mcatee in actual fact he may be of more value for us coming off the bench with 25 to go i think he could hurt tiring defenders if we use him this way

if he helps us get to the premier league i think its 15/20m pommp if we dont or sell him this month yes 10m would be a good deal for us with the amount of time left on his contract at the moment for me hes 4th choice midfielder behind norwood doyle and mcatee in actual fact he may be of more value for us coming off the bench with 25 to go i think he could hurt tiring defenders if we use him this way

If ... he gets involved and starts fucking battling. The mission now is to maintain that convenient air gap between us and the playoffs. We do NOT want to end up being overhauled like we did ten years ago and being done at Wembley ... again. He can either be a part of that success, or leave it to those who want it. Right now we have weak areas in the squad, but Hecky has everyone focused and believing in themselves and looking at big wages and better deals next season. He needs to get in the boat and start fucking rowing. We could do with 70 minutes of every game being filled with Sander Berge, rather than ten minutes of every third game. If he does this, we go up at a canter. He has skill,. we need to fucking see it being deployed.

And for fucks sake Sander. Jump ... higher please ... and head the fucking ball, eh?

pommpey

I was very pleased we won however given the choice of either winning there in the Cup or winning there in the league in a few weeks, I'd take the 3 points every day of the week.

Having said that, looking forward to the Wrexham tie and if I can't go, hoping it will be picked for live coverage and should be a good chance of that. Definitely won't be a formality and they have some decent players and a good striker in Paul Mullin. I think Hecky will use it again to give some minutes to those who haven't had enough for various reasons.

If ... he gets involved and starts fucking battling. The mission now is to maintain that convenient air gap between us and the playoffs. We do NOT want to end up being overhauled like we did ten years ago and being done at Wembley ... again. He can either be a part of that success, or leave it to those who want it. Right now we have weak areas in the squad, but Hecky has everyone focused and believing in themselves and looking at big wages and better deals next season. He needs to get in the boat and start fucking rowing. We could do with 70 minutes of every game being filled with Sander Berge, rather than ten minutes of every third game. If he does this, we go up at a canter. He has skill,. we need to fucking see it being deployed.

And for fucks sake Sander. Jump ... higher please ... and head the fucking ball, eh?

pommpey
yeah hes such a frustrating player you can see hes got it in him but just doesnt do it consistently enough do feel the higher we play him up the pitch with possibly less responsibility to track back the better he is if jebbo is the real deal as a target man type i think nidaye and berge just in behind him would be a great front 3

Good comments and I'll agree ref the 'carrying ball' bit. But a large amount of our goals this season haven't come from him. Norwood has been far more prolific in creation and he plays from a deeper position.
Screenshot_20230109_155842.jpg
Not entirely true Pommps!

As shown above, he's got equal or greater goal contributions than Norwood, Doyle, Sharp and Mcatee - in equal or fewer games.

He's got the exact same amount of goal contributions as Norwood, with 9 less games and almost half as many minutes.

I agree with you for the most part...I agree that he's performing below his level at the moment and clearly not giving 100% (for whatever reason) - and I do think he could "show up" more in terms of grabbing hold of the game and dictating play...but I have to say I think you're being unfair RE: his contributions, as shown above

pommpey

My working out is:

Points per game with Berge starting = 2.125
Points per game without Berge starting = 1.700

To absolutely clarify: I don't think Berge is playing as well as he should do for someone with his physique and skill. He should be winning more headers, and should be a LOT stronger in the tackle. Similarly, his mobility shouldn't be dropping off a cliff at 65 minutes every game. However, he's one of the best midfielders in the division (ask any other fan base / manager, and all 23 other teams would gladly take him into their starting eleven) and it is not coincidental that we're doing so well with him starting in the team.

To answer your question about what he brings to the team, the main thing is beating a man. For years, we've played with starting elevens that don't contain a player who can beat someone, and we end up playing stodgy staid football with very limited chances. With Berge in the team, there will be at least two or three chances created every game as a result of him getting past a defender and hitting the byline to pull a cross back. He also usually good with possession, playing sensible passes. However, I'd be interested to see his retention rate before and after 65 minutes, because I bet there's a big difference.

pommpey
Dont even think we'd be offered 10m tbh....................at best 5m

Great read. Jebbison developing well.

Signed an “ errant miscreant “

Back
Top Bottom