My massive highlight of yesterday....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Gavlar

eternal pessimist
Reaction score
....Was being there with my lad of 14 watching the blades in an FA CUP semi final!

However, second to that was the 78 year old cockney man I spoke to for 15 minutes on the train from Beaconsfield til Gerrards Cross.
He had lots of knowledgeable thoughts on the game and the blades. We reminisced about the days of Deane and Agana and he told my lad
his best advice was to 'enjoy it', when I asked him his thoughts on my lads footie career.

Oh, his name? Dave 'Harry' Bassett.

PS He wouldn't even sit down despite lots of folks offering to give up their seat for him, what a bloke! I couldn't bring myself to ask for a selfie to spoil the moment, but I took this shot of him on his way off the train. Can you spot him?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0151.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0151.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 566

Have a massive 'like' for that.

He is a integral part of our successful history and is indeed a legend, aside from a short period when he lost his fucking mind and suggested it might be a great idea if we merged clubs with that bunch of simpletons up at S6. You should have asked him what the fuck he was thinking about as well as a billion other questions.

pommpey

....Was being there with my lad of 14 watching the blades in an FA CUP semi final!

However, second to that was the 78 year old cockney man I spoke to for 15 minutes on the train from Beaconsfield til Gerrards Cross.
He had lots of knowledgeable thoughts on the game and the blades. We reminisced about the days of Deane and Agana and he told my lad
his best advice was to 'enjoy it', when I asked him his thoughts on my lads footie career.

PS He wouldn't even sit down despite lots of folks offering to give up their seat for him, what a bloke! I couldn't bring myself to ask for a selfie to spoil the moment, but I took this shot of him on his way off the train. Can you spot him?

Have a massive 'like' for that.

He is a integral part of our successful history and is indeed a legend, aside from a short period when he lost his fucking mind and suggested it might be a great idea if we merged clubs with that bunch of simpletons up at S6. You should have asked him what the fuck he was thinking about as well as a billion other questions.

pommpey
Wow I didn't know that!

I did have a laugh with him about him organising a Christmas party in august that season as well.

What a great experience, all round. Both elements of that story are wonderful. Hope your lad had a great day too 🔴⚪

Would’ve given you a like but it appears you are the double of Laurence Fox. Soz.

That's brilliant, had the pleasure of meeting him at the lane during his time managing us, a gentleman, who's integrity, passion and desire to succeed with the Blades always shone through, legend

Doesn't surprise me he didn't take a seat, what a man..

Well done in not asking for a photo, he'd have probs been fine with it, but I agree it shows more respect not to ask as well.. The words are always enough for me too in these situations.. Bravo!

suggested it might be a great idea if we merged clubs with that bunch of simpletons up at S6.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

I've suggested that a few times. It's the only way for both teams to be a success as we get to pool our resources. We get a larger fan base which means more ticket revenue. We get two owners pooling their money togethetr (So the Prince will chip in about a tenner), a bigger ground. We also get to add some of Wednesday's squad to our own -- meaning we can trim the has beings like Sharp, Fleck and Basham and have them replaced immediately. It's a win-win.

Apparently he lives in Gerrards Cross these days. He was suited and booted and having photos taken with Blades on the platform there before the match.

Pleased he’s well after those reports of ill health last year.

We had a chat with him and his wife in the queue for the train back to Beaconsfield and got a photo with him (my lad had to step in and take the photo due to my fumbling). It's often quoted that you should not meet your hero's but he was amazing, candid and humble. Considering the guy mortgaged his own house to get us a player and the meteoric rise through the divisions keeping us up for four years in the top flight only gong down cos the club were short sighted selling Deane and slippery Hans Segers he is a complete legend. I was star struck.. He did talk about other managers so what he said will remain off the record.

I absolutely love Dave Bassett, never met him, unfortunately, but he just seems so genuine and "gets" us as a club and that's hard for some non-locals. Plus I think he's deserving of a statue out in the car park at BL.
They don't do statues anymore. Cost too much and might impinge on the South Stand extension. Just ask John Garret.

That's a shame, god forbid we commemorate past servants of the club in statue form.
Club waint even let us put the Billy Sharp scores goals banner up in Kop, we’ve no chance of a statue!

Lovely area.

It’s certainly wealthy - every house seems to cost a million or two. But it’s not my cup of tea to be honest. There’s something about the commuter belt towns that I find soulless.

A bit further out you’ve got the Chalfonts - a place with some real history and much prettier.

What a great post, and a great story.
Loved the Bassett era, and the mentality we had then. He’s a legend and top bloke. Another statue needed at the Lane, I think!
Glad he was well again and on top form.
I only remember him making one bad call, which was to play that bloody game at Wembley. We’d have beaten em at Elland Road.

Not quite the same level, but Ritchie Humphries was in our carriage on the tube back to Stanmore with his little lad who was in his Blades top.

Only one to recognise him was Trig Jnr (TY), at least nobody bothered him. He’s an ex-Pig, but a Blade as I recall, so he’s alright by me.

Back
Top Bottom