My final Take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair Pommps wasn't the only one who was sick to the back teeth of Fallowfield's egotistical shit and the hi-jacking of threads. I had FB on ignore but it was still hard to avoid him completely.

If pommpey got banned to rid us of Fallowfield, good on him. I'm reminded of Gandalf taking the Balrog down with him.
Or Aslan, who was humiliated, tortured and killed because of Edmund’s betrayal.
But his long game was that he knew the deep magic would result in taking down the White witch, while he would rise again.

To be fair, you see different things at the match to watching footage.
At the match, you can't really see what it going on at the other end, you get no replays. On the other hand, if you sit near the front, you can hear the players speak, and you see a lot of what goes on which doesn't make it onto the coverage, and the experience is deeper and more personal if you were there

Importantly, you see players making runs, both positive and defensive. Cameras just follow the play and most of this is unmissed.

I don't want to sound like Nigel Adkins, praising Dean Hammond's 'unseen work', but a player can have a big impact on the game without touching the ball very much.

Watching Coutts, part of what made him such a brilliant defensive midfielder was his positioning. He wasn't actually very good at tackling, but rarely needed to do it, due to his brilliant reading of the game and positioning. That sort of thing just wouldn't show well on the tele but Pompey would never have it.

Ps, I don't want to know who anybody is, I love the mystery that I could be in a pub pre match stood next to a forum heavyweight and not know it... 🤣🤣

Pommpey being a forum heavyweight was largely a myth of his own making. He liked to believe that you could rank forum members with him sat at the top of the pile, and that he'd occasionally grace low level forum chimps with a response.

That said I appreciated his Star Wars contributions.

To be fair, you see different things at the match to watching footage.
At the match, you can't really see what it going on at the other end, you get no replays. On the other hand, if you sit near the front, you can hear the players speak, and you see a lot of what goes on which doesn't make it onto the coverage, and the experience is deeper and more personal if you were there
Also, unless you turn down the sound, I'm sure you're influenced by what the commentators are saying, even though a lot of the time they talk a load of tosh.

I had many a spat with Pomps over the years, but soon learnt you could NEVER be right so just didn't interact. Even if you made an innocuous remark such as, 'you just had to be there to understand' and he took it so personally. 'If you haven't got anything to say about the game blah de blah de blah.'
Also, and I don't want to sound a prude, as I'm really not, but there are youngsters and ladies on here who must have cringed at his toilet humour in his reports. Got a bit wearing imho if you were older than 15. In General chat maybe, but not in Blades chat.
Perhaps just me.

I didn't mind pomps but the thing I could never understand was even though every post has your name on what was the

Pompey
Thing on his posts about?? 🤔

Pommpey being a forum heavyweight was largely a myth of his own making. He liked to believe that you could rank forum members with him sat at the top of the pile, and that he'd occasionally grace low level forum chimps with a response.

One of several ways in which his demise has been reminiscent of that other self-anointed ‘heavyweight’ Woodwardfan

T’owd Woody also spent his forum twilight time lecturing others about their unacceptable behaviour, warning that things wouldn’t end well for them, all the while blissfully unaware of the ban hammer hurtling ever harder toward his own saintly bonce.

Ah well.

One of several ways in which his demise has been reminiscent of that other self-anointed ‘heavyweight’ Woodwardfan

T’owd Woody also spent his forum twilight time lecturing others about their unacceptable behaviour, warning that things wouldn’t end well for them, all the while blissfully unaware of the ban hammer hurtling ever harder toward his own saintly bonce.

Ah well.

What was particularly amusing about Pommps demise , is that the post where Pommps agreed with the sentiment of FF being a cunt did get an infraction for personal abuse (and was probably the one that finished him off), whereas the post by someone else that actually called FF a cunt didn't.

When I first registered for S24SU on the recommendation of the late Fulwood Blade he warned me never to get involved with Pommpey. I always bore that in mind.
I always found his My takes quite interesting but I could never understand how someone who appeared so articulate could use such unnecessarily abusive language at times. It also used to astonish me with the speed of response to posts - not single liners but often several paragraphs. As others have said he seemed to take any alternative opinions as a personal insult.

As for FF I don't why people repeatedly took the bait and responded to his many, many posts. If there had been no response he might have posted less nonsense.

It's quite easy to ignore posts without actually putting them on ignore

So are the pair of them permanently banned or just getting a fixed term suspension???

What was particularly amusing about Pommps demise , is that the post where Pommps agreed with the sentiment of FF being a cunt did get an infraction for personal abuse (and was probably the one that finished him off), whereas the post by someone else that actually called FF a cunt didn't.
It's a bit like the story about Stan Bowles who famously asked a ref for an arudite distinction between calling the ref a cunt and merely saying he just thought he was a cunt.....

Now Pommpey, yes he lives on the South Coast but for someone with such intense and strong opinions on all things Blades, surely you'd think at times he put himself out and actually get to some of the games. I mean, you'd got a man screaming from the rooftops here, not just a bloke in the pub seeing the footy results and muttering "ah that's a shame, Blades lost 1-0 today)".

I get issues about cost and travel time etc etc, but he didnt't even bother going to Wembley for the Man City game, and folk pointed out that that was much closer and less expensive for him than many of the Blades travelling down from Sheffield. Pommpey always stated 'time', 'money', and 'other life commitments' for not going to the games. All valid, of course, but not always. If he'd have said "to be honest I just can't be arsed" I'd have had more empathy with him.
I’m only about 45 minutes away from him and I’ll be trying to get to as many matches as are feasible.

Where I live is even on the rail line from Portsmouth and it’s dead easy to get the train back up to Sheffield, and not even that expensive. It’s as cheap as £35 if you book in advance.

Just an empty excuse really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom