Midfield recruitment is key next season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Jimmy Fleck

Reaction score
I think we’re okay for other positions (as long as we keep our main players) but 2/3 new young, mobile and technical midfielders are what we need, plenty abroad that can be brought in for relatively cheap

Doesn’t look likely, but a Duo of Fleck and Berge sees us more than OK in this dept.

UTB

We do need some boost in midfield. Thing is also depends on what a new manager wants to play in midfield.
Ben Osborn is a quandry too. I like him, he's energetic too but often struggle to put him in. Played well last night again too but in the Champ, you'd be looking for an AM in his position potentially.

An upgrade on Osborn for the role he played yesterday would be good - thought the tweaked system worked quite well...but one swallow and all that, so won't get carried away just yet

Depends what system the new manager wants but assuming it’s a 3 we are playing then we need a couple in to give Norwood, Fleck and Osborn competition.

Centre half is the priority for me. Need 3 of them I reckon. Egan will go, Jags will retire, O’Connell may be finished, Basham and Robinson have both suffered with injuries and Bryan isn’t good enough.

Wouldn’t sign any centre forwards, lose Mousset and possibly Burke if his wages need freeing up. Fight tooth and nail to hold on to Jebbison. May end up selling and loaning back.

I was wondering last night whether McGoldrick could be converted into a proper centre midfielder given his advancing years and start with Brewster & Jebbison up top.

Depends what system the new manager wants but assuming it’s a 3 we are playing then we need a couple in to give Norwood, Fleck and Osborn competition.

Centre half is the priority for me. Need 3 of them I reckon. Egan will go, Jags will retire, O’Connell may be finished, Basham and Robinson have both suffered with injuries and Bryan isn’t good enough.
A bit negative !
I still think that Robinson in the Championship will be good, as will Osborn

True, it also has to be said our midfield looks better without a certain number 7 dragging them down.

That said I would like to see a CAM back in our midfield.

A bit negative !
I still think that Robinson in the Championship will be good, as will Osborn
I’ve no doubt both will be decent in the Championship. I just worry about Robinson’s track record with injury. Didn’t mean it to come across negative.

Main thing that impressed me about Robinson’s ball in for the goal was he didn’t go for the safe option and cut it back in behind but gambled on putting it in behind the defender and it paid dividends.

Been missing that positivity this season and if he can do that in the Champ and stay injury free he is a decent replacement for O’Connell.

At least next season we can use more than 2 loans if we like... a ‘relatively’ cheap way of adding some young talent to the squad.

the midfield is going to have to get overhauled

• we don’t have an attacking midfielders / wingers
  • And we will need to replace both berge and lundstram who won’t be here.

we need at least 4 new midfielders I would have though.

Fleck, Norwood and Osborn will cope with the Championship no problem, issue is that we have no depth whatsoever in midfield, hence why we've seen Lundstram all season when he should be a distant memory by now.

We can't fall into the trap of signing players to give these guys competition like we have done in the past, they need forcing out if we're ever going to improve and that's down to the quality of the signings in midfield and ultimately what the club and the new, as yet unnamed, manager can attract. Berge cost a lot of money but isn't going to be a guy who goes down in Blades folklore who we wax lyrical about in 10 years time because despite his price tag, he hasn't been anything special.

A lot depends on how we set up next season as to who we sign and what position they fill.

Doesn’t look likely, but a Duo of Fleck and Berge sees us more than OK in this dept.

UTB
The whole midfield needs a refit, certainly including Fleck, for better more athletic, creative and technical footballers. While Fleck and Norwood I'm sure would be OK next season at Championship level, we know full well they aren't capable of being relied upon in the league above. That doesn't mean Fleck and Norwood aren't needed but they shouldn't be seen as first team starters. Given some of the midfielders available on a free, some decent options who are maybe a season or two away in the youth ranks and the fact we have 5 loans next season we should be looking to overhaul it and start to build the new iteration starting next summer.
Generally speaking, if the new manager keeps the formation, or a small variation on it, then the defence and forward line is fine, just needing a tweak or replacements for anyone sold.

I think we’re okay for other positions (as long as we keep our main players) but 2/3 new young, mobile and technical midfielders are what we need, plenty abroad that can be brought in for relatively cheap
If they can get a work permit

The whole midfield needs a refit, certainly including Fleck, for better more athletic, creative and technical footballers. While Fleck and Norwood I'm sure would be OK next season at Championship level, we know full well they aren't capable of being relied upon in the league above. That doesn't mean Fleck and Norwood aren't needed but they shouldn't be seen as first team starters. Given some of the midfielders available on a free, some decent options who are maybe a season or two away in the youth ranks and the fact we have 5 loans next season we should be looking to overhaul it and start to build the new iteration starting next summer.
Generally speaking, if the new manager keeps the formation, or a small variation on it, then the defence and forward line is fine, just needing a tweak or replacements for anyone sold.
Fleck will be the first name on sheet next season.100%.

Our most technically gifted baller. Including Mcgoldrick.

At his best, the very best LCM in the division. Of that I have zero doubt.

UTB

Fleck will be the first name on sheet next season.100%.

Our most technically gifted baller. Including Mcgoldrick.

At his best, the very best LCM in the division. Of that I have zero doubt.

UTB
200 (2).gif
So the best LCM in the division can't make the step up and play consistently in the PL?
Bit of an odd take that one. Time to move forward, and move on.

View attachment 113096
So the best LCM in the division can't make the step up and play consistently in the PL?
Bit of an odd take that one. Time to move forward, and move on.
Time will tell 😉.

The story of the demise of John Fleck, so widely accepted in these ere parts, is wide of the mark. Well wide in fact.

Some folks just can’t tell the difference between a baller and a dry Waller 😀.

UTB

Time will tell 😉.

The story of the demise of John Fleck, so widely accepted in these ere parts, is wide of the mark. Well wide in fact.

Some folks just can’t tell the difference between a baller and a dry Waller 😀.

UTB
Oh you old romantic you.

A fit fleck with a good preseason behind him should be one of the first names in the sheet. Wasn't long ago we were all terrified he was off to Arsenal.

This season again another contributing factor is flecks injury and niggles. Not really been at 100% for most of the season.

A fit fleck with a good preseason behind him should be one of the first names in the sheet. Wasn't long ago we were all terrified he was off to Arsenal.

This season again another contributing factor is flecks injury and niggles. Not really been at 100% for most of the season.
Ben Osborn and Fleck for you next season in our midfield.
FML how depressing would that be first game back. What would be the point of a new manager?

Personally I favour a 3-4-1-2
But we'll need a really quality number 10 I love didzy but his goals to chances ratio needs to improve

Needs an out and out 10 and 2 quality box to box players. Coupled with a Berge replacement when he leaves.

Will Freeman be coming back? I know Forest had an option on him but can't see them taking it up with how few games he managed.

If he's fit that's a good, positive Championship player coming in.

Back
Top Bottom