McNulty after Portsmouth move

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You always need squad players.

Someone who can score goals being a squad player is worth it's weight in gold.

I sometimes wonder if McNulty has shagged too many peoples wives to get slaughtered like he does, it's fucking ridiculous. Not directed at you by the way.

I agree on him not being a starter, but I wpuld defi itely have him in the squad and on the bench. Think of games like Gillingham or Barnsley at home, we have lots of possession but are in desperate need of a goal. I think I would much rather have McNulty coming on in that scenario than Done.

Plus he is 23 so cpuld easily develop in other areas too. A keep but not start for me.

For the record, McNulty hasn't shagged my missus (although I did wonder whose cardy that was in the wash...). And in theory he should be a great option in the squad. But I've written off any chance of him fulfilling his talent. We've seen what he can do, but two managers got sick of him, and in a club where the playing staff has shown a truly appalling attitude, I'd sell him in a flash.

We need winners and grafters. Yet everything I see points to McNulty being neither, and his talent isn't great enough to compensate. Hope I'm wrong....

I think someone mentioned similar to the following on another thread so apologies for nicking it but not seen the argument put forward mentioned on this one:

Basically how do we know CW has any intention of giving Scougall or McNulty another chance? They've both done relatively ok at their loan clubs apparently so they might want to make a bid for them so you don't transfer list them telling the prospective buyers you want rid, you pretend you want to keep them to improve your bargaining position and attract higher bids.

Basically how do we know CW has any intention of giving Scougall or McNulty another chance? They've both done relatively ok at their loan clubs apparently
You answer your own question there. The fact they've both done OK and the others haven't, coupled with the fact that they haven't been transfer listed leads to the probability he's giving them the chance.

He couldn't transfer list all those that weren't out of contract either. It wouldn't be very good having a good portion of those that have remained and are likely to be involved with the squad next season all pissed off because they're on the transfer list.

But that's the sort of thing good man managers can change.

It can happen, but equally a good manager knows when to get rid. Fergie ditched Beckham and Stam when they were still great players.

And yup, I just mentioned Beckham in the same post as Marc McNulty. Won't happen again...

Last edited:
It can happen, but equally a good manager knows when to get rid.
Not before he's had the chance to nurture him surely. If it were Woolford I'd agree but McNulty showed enough under Clough alone to be given the chance to develop under a good man manager now. Plus he's in contract any way.

Not before he's had the chance to nurture him surely. If it were Woolford I'd agree but McNulty showed enough under Clough alone to be given the chance to develop under a good man manager now. Plus he's in contract any way.

Call me harsh, but I think it's up to players to nurture their own talent. Managers just create an environment in which that can happen. And after two years of it not happening, I'd say it's time to bid cheerio. Same for Diego who appears to be cast in the same mould.

At risk of plagiarising Revolution, if we're relying on McNulty to score enough goals to get us promoted then I think we're going nowhere. He's an understudy to Sharp when what we need is a partner for Sharp.

I guess it depends on budgets and the availability of alternatives. Personally, I'd bin him and have Done coming on for Sharp.

I think both you and LS26 are right. I think he's underrated in the sense that goalscorers are often underrated these days, for reasons that I still don't understand, but I wouldn't play him ahead of Sharp or Adams.

In an ideal World, he'd be on the books and playing when we need him as injury cover or when we need a late goal. Whether he'd accept that remains to be seen.

FWIW I do think that if you gave him a start every game he might give you 15 to 20 league one goals, but we know Sharp will do that, so he's the better option.

I fear that we will not keep both McNulty and Done which is a shame as I like them both and they both have their uses.

Personally I reckon CW is playing his cards close to his chest, Mcnulty and Scougall were stitched on to leave under Adkins and I still think they probably will before the season starts. McNulty in particular has made it pretty clear he doesn't want to be at the Lane and I doubt CW is the type to keep any bad apples, hence Hammond going straight on the transfer list.

I reckon as soon as CW gets in a couple of players that he has targeted one or two more will be placed on the transfer list.

Don't really get this McNulty is being disloyal by showing interest in Pompey. He probably doesn't know where he stands with us, new manager and all that, whereas at Portsmouth the picture is no doubt clearer. He perhaps doesn't want to burn his bridges. Adkins didn't show much loyalty to him- "Go and traipse your jumper elsewhere cos you're not even good enough to sit on our bench".

We've seen what he can do, but two managers got sick of him

I don't think Clough got sick of him, I think he was harsh on him and showed him tough love because that is what he needed but he certainly had him in his plans still at the end of the season.

[QUOTE="From the pig end, post: 1016667, member:
but you have to make exceptions with goalscorerss, there aren't many out there.

You'd have Balatelli wouldn't you.[/QUOTE]
You'd think to back up my point and because we are in league 1 I'd say yes, but no, I absolutely despise the guy.

If he wants to leave here and move to Pompey permanently then that tells me he hasn't got much ambition, he should want to play at the league above if he has that opportunity, and while at a club this size that could well go up to an even higher league plus working under the very manager that led his team to become Champions in the same league he spent the majority on loan.

If he can't recognise the opportunity here then I won't lose much sleep if he does leave.
I would say it shows more ambition. He isn't going to be a starter here, maybe he wants first team football.

Everyone slates the Jack Rodwells, Delphs etc for moving to big clubs and sitting on the bench.

For what its worth I'm not a McNulty fan but can't blame/slate him for wanting to move.

10 League goals not 15!

He got 9 league and 4 cup goals whilst featuring two thirds of the time, based on that, the proportion he could never get 15 in league one in a full season seems at best pessimistic.

Do not understand our fans who want shot of people who score goals,

Edwards, Blake, Beattie etc all get slagged at some point or another for being lazy and now mcnulty for his attitude - so fucking what if he has attitude if he gets us 15-20 goals.

Cos he's a twat. If he becomes a twat that does the job he's paid for, it'll be less of an issue to me because basically I'm a shallow fucker. Starts fucking scoring goals then he can go in whatever club he likes and suck what he likes. All IMHO of course.

If he wants to go let him go. I don't care how good he is or how good he can be. If he's a bad apple in the dressing room (looks like it) then he has to go.

Team spirit has a big role in getting a team working well so let him go.

I'd keep him and flog Done instead. Got a feeling Done is a player that has had a good 12 months at Rochdale and another few months with us, but unfortunately is now going back to the average footballer he was a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom