May 3rd - Chesterfield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Thanks for the match report Silent. Looking at those results strange the Wendies were not playing. Seems to be Fulham should have been their opponents. Wonder if it was due to Boat Race. Certainly nowt to do with Sky.

It wasnt unusual that one or two teams had completed their season's fixtures before the rest. I remember in 1971-72 Man City completed their fixtures a week before the others. Just had a look at Wendy's fixtures for 1967-68. Their last match was at home to Arsenal on 4th May (we played Chelsea on 11th May). They played 7 games in April (many teams played 3 matches in 4 days over Easter these days) so maybe when the season's fixtures were out in summer 1967, Wendy knew that their last match of the season was a week before the others?

It wasnt unusual that one or two teams had completed their season's fixtures before the rest. I remember in 1971-72 Man City completed their fixtures a week before the others. Just had a look at Wendy's fixtures for 1967-68. Their last match was at home to Arsenal on 4th May (we played Chelsea on 11th May). They played 7 games in April (many teams played 3 matches in 4 days over Easter these days) so maybe when the season's fixtures were out in summer 1967, Wendy knew that their last match of the season was a week before the others?

The most famous example as far as United are concerned, of course, being 83-84 when Hull needed that 3 goal win at Burnley....

The most famous example as far as United are concerned, of course, being 83-84 when Hull needed that 3 goal win at Burnley....
In 1984-85, Norwich had completed their fixtures and were 8 points ahead of Coventry who had 3 games left to play. Coventry won all their last 3 games including a 4-1 win over champions Everton, therefore Norwich got relegated! After that it was compulsory that every team completed their fixtures on the same day!

And there's 78-9 of course.

It very rarely gets brought up but that was another relegation from a seemingly impregnable position. We beat main rivals Charlton at home on 28th April leaving the last relegation place battle looking thus:

19. United P39 pts 34 GD -15
20. Charlton P41 pts 33 GD -11

(2 points for a win)

We had 2 home games left to play v relegated Blackburn on 2nd May and nothing play for Leicester on 8th May, coupled with an away game at nothing to play for Cambridge on 5th May. Charlton had an home game against Oldham on 5th May. Oldham could still possibly (but unlikelily) be relegated.

We managed to lose to Blackburn and Cambridge and draw with Leicester. Charlton beat Oldham and down we went.....

And there's 78-9 of course.

It very rarely gets brought up but that was another relegation from a seemingly impregnable position. We beat main rivals Charlton at home on 28th April leaving the last relegation place battle looking thus:

19. United P39 pts 34 GD -15
20. Charlton P41 pts 33 GD -11

(2 points for a win)

We had 2 home games left to play v relegated Blackburn on 2nd May and nothing play for Leicester on 8th May, coupled with an away game at nothing to play for Cambridge on 5th May. Charlton had an home game against Oldham on 5th May. Oldham could still possibly (but unlikelily) be relegated.

We managed to lose to Blackburn and Cambridge and draw with Leicester. Charlton beat Oldham and down we went.....
1978-79 was one of the worst winters and a lot of matches in January and February were postponed so when were we due to play at home to Leicester and Blackburn when the 1978-79 fixtures were out?

Dunno.

Terrible week that. Thatcher won the election on 4th May :-(
Been googling! Leicester away was our 2nd game of the season so I looked at the other 2nd division fixtures for 22nd and 23rd August then looked for the date that the away teams played at home to the opponents they played on 22nd and 23rd August. It was 24th March 1979 so we were due to play at home to Leicester that day but I dont remember it being postponed

Been googling! Leicester away was our 2nd game of the season so I looked at the other 2nd division fixtures for 22nd and 23rd August then looked for the date that the away teams played at home to the opponents they played on 22nd and 23rd August. It was 24th March 1979 so we were due to play at home to Leicester that day but I dont remember it being postponed

We lost 0-2 at Brighton on 17/3/79 and our next game was the 1-0 home win over Bristol Rovers on 31/3/79, so I assume the Leicester game must have been postponed. It wasn't FA Cup semi day was it and one played at Hillsborough?

We lost 0-2 at Brighton on 17/3/79 and our next game was the 1-0 home win over Bristol Rovers on 31/3/79, so I assume the Leicester game must have been postponed. It wasn't FA Cup semi day was it and one played at Hillsborough?
No semi finals at Hillsborough that season. They were Maine Road and Villa Park. The Liverpool v Man U replay was at Goodison Park

1978-79 was one of the worst winters and a lot of matches in January and February were postponed so when were we due to play at home to Leicester and Blackburn when the 1978-79 fixtures were out?

I remember a nightmare trip back from Wrexham (we lost 4-0 on a Tuesday night) I was driving a mini bus
we got pulled by coppers after the game and spent hours in the nick before they let us go in the early hours
by then its was snowing very badly M62 Snake and Woodhead all closed ended up A62 Oldham to Huddersfield

I remember a nightmare trip back from Wrexham (we lost 4-0 on a Tuesday night) I was driving a mini bus
we got pulled by coppers after the game and spent hours in the nick before they let us go in the early hours
by then its was snowing very badly M62 Snake and Woodhead all closed ended up A62 Oldham to Huddersfield
Were you with my Uncle Ronnie?

It was a Wednesday - 28th Feb :)

Yes from what I can remember Mitchell was there as well along with a few other well knowns
We didnt have any windscreens in the either of the vans either which didnt help
Ronnie posted a funny story about Kevin Cooper on his facebook about when Kevin and two others were released by the police in the morning. One of the names given by the police was "Burnitt" which puzzled Ronnie, Mitchell and others who were picking up the released Blades. Outside the nick, Kevin told his mates that he told the police he was a fireman and his name being Eric Burnitt! This it must have been the trip back from Wrexham!

Back
Top Bottom