Mavericks

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Putney Blade

Reaction score
Anybody watch on ITV4 last neet?

Few memories. Great players.

Featured TC, but not heavily enough. Went big on Hudson, thought Currie had more flair. Worthington certainly enjoyed his days. Good player, scored more off the pitch!

Loved the Clough snippets. Top, top manager. Pity his son hasn't followed in his footsteps!

UTB

Anybody watch on ITV4 last neet?

.........Went big on Hudson, thought Currie had more flair....

UTB

He did. From memory Hudson had great dribbling ability, and was probably quicker than Currie, but I don't recall him being as creative or having the same level of ball skills as TC.

The programme content will have been driven by the amount of coverage of a player was available. Hudson played for Stoke, Arsenal and Chelsea, who all tended to get much more air time than United in the 70s. MoTD, for instance used to cover only 2 or 3 games on a saturday night, and United were rarely ever the featured game.

(Shoot magazine did an analysis, and despite being respectable mid-table for the first half of the 70s we were always the club that featured on MoTD on fewest occasions each season - though usually tied bottom with some other team deemed boring or irrelevant that year by the show's producers.).

They could at least have interviewed TC - instead we had to listen to Rodney f****** Marsh.
Of all the players featured, TC won the most England caps, but "flair" players didn't really fit Alf Ramsey's or Don Revie's plans. I remember watching the game against West Germany when Netzer took us apart, and thinking: TC could do that if we built the team around him.
How Woody & Len Badger never got picked when no-marks like Kevin Hector got a game I'll never understand.
I remember going to a Brighton game in the early 80s (one of my 5-a-side colleagues was a fan). We were outside the ground about 20 mins before kick-off when a car pulled up and Frank Worthington practically fell out of the passenger seat, wearing a shiny suit that looked like he'd slept in it. He still played a blinder.

Robin Friday - the ultimate maverick.
robin-friday-167316975.jpg

Back
Top Bottom