Match Thread Manchester City v. Sheffield United - 30th December 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

MANC
MANC
MANC

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1703761786831.png vs. 1703761793576.png

Premier League Matchweek 20 - Saturday 30th December 2023 - 15:00 - Etihad Stadium
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Player Ratings:
Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/manchester-city-vs-sheffield-united.676/

Officials:

Referee: David Coote
Assistants: Tim Wood, Derek Eaton
Fourth Official: Chris Kavanagh
VAR: Simon Hooper
Assistant VAR: Simon Long

🚗Matchday Parking:

Stuck for somewhere to park? - CLICK HERE FOR STADIUM PARKING

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su
Threads: https://www.threads.net/@s24su
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/s24su/

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

VPNAd.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 11.14.00.png

With the money he's got I would have thought a nice quiff would be suitable. He should be kicked out of Wilmslow looking like that
He should model himself on Jeff Bourne - finest head of quiff in the history of football

That’s because he has the same players at present
I give credit to how wilder has improved our structure defensively, a very quick and tangible improvement we’ve seen in the results/performance. But thats only a small part of the game. We still aren’t approaching games like we wan’t to win. Just damage limitation.

Like i say, luton are a far superior footballing team to this, the players and budgets aren’t too different. We should be able to play better than this with the ball.

I would expect to see an improvement soon in our footballing play. Some of our players (norwood in particular) first thought is to launch it into channel and hope that one of the boys can chase it. It’s such primitive football.

the Wilder-Guardiola pact stays in place. Don’t kick the shit out of us, we won’t humiliate you.

That football City play bores the arse off me.

Bogle MOTM. Very good.

Well organised again but they are far too good for us of course.

Nice to see RND back.

I do not see any point in Brewster playing. None whatsoever.

I would have liked Archer on earlier. Osula looked gassed.

Soft first goal. Annoyed that we had 2 attacking throw ins that we took back to Wes.
The amount of times weve done that over the years is ridiculous, we always look to throw it back, never forward, ive never understood why. We can have a throw in 10 yds inside the opposition's half and still throw it back rather than down the line

Players have no confidence
The time at the end we had the ball on the edge of their box and 4-5 safe passes later under no real pressure its back with our keeper

The one thing missing is the confidence to play your way out of trouble but it's like a hot potato ,thought brewster did well when he came on with possession didn't look like the rabbit in the headlights the rest of the team did
Which when you're senior pro is Oliver Norwood who can't get rid of the ball quick e ough is hardly surprising

Just watch City, when they have the ball, they make space to find each other, although we made that very fookin easy for them. When they don't gave the ball, they press you and make it hard, not just stand off until you are on the edge of your box. They had all fuckin day on the ball today.
2-0 was no humiliation- go diving in - 'get ****ing stuck in ' doesn't work against City you get smashed. The priority today was don't get a licking and they didn't.

I thought they did well - special mentions to Robinson/ Bogle and Osula.

One day we might go there on an equal footing but until someone injects a billion pounds its not any time soon.

Well done Blades - to a man you ran your bollox off- appreciated.

2-0 was no humiliation- go diving in - 'get ****ing stuck in ' doesn't work against City you get smashed. The priority today was don't get a licking and they didn't.

One day we might go there on an equal footing but until someone injects a billion pounds its not any time soon.

Absolutely.

Far bigger and far better teams have taken the game to City and ended up with a far bigger pasting. Somehow people were predicting cricket scores and seem disappointed with the result we got?

Sometimes I just don't understand this place.

I can’t see any positive in being beaten 2-0. It doesn’t tell the story of the game, either, as if we were somehow “still in it”. We gave up as soon as the second goal went in, literally decided there was no point trying to get anything from the game.
Only Bogle comes out with genuine credit for today’s performance, yet again.

2-0 decent result but was disheartening to watch our players chasing shadows well done blades at the match once again

I can’t see any positive in being beaten 2-0. It doesn’t tell the story of the game, either, as if we were somehow “still in it”. We gave up as soon as the second goal went in, literally decided there was no point trying to get anything from the game.
Only Bogle comes out with genuine credit for today’s performance, yet again.
Even so, the players were criticised by Wilder (shock, horror, OMG) for not doing the defensive basics.
Maybe this was their way of responding?

But we should have had a go still, doubt City would've scored that many more than Luton...
Really? If we had pressed them all over the pitch (which we’re not capable of, and they are masters of playing through a press anyway) or abandoned our shape it would have been a cricket score.

I didn’t even bother watching, utterly pointless even playing these matches.

Best league in the world? What a load of bollocks! Football is supposed to be entertaining with some form of competitiveness.
Surely that is down to us trying to take the Premiership by storm with Championship standard players.
Burnley and Luton seem to be able to compete in games.

Really? If we had pressed them all over the pitch (which we’re not capable of, and they are masters of playing through a press anyway) or abandoned our shape it would have been a cricket score.
Sarcasm, sorry. Would've been more than 10.

2-0 decent result but was disheartening to watch our players chasing shadows well done blades at the match once again
It was pretty much like that when we played them in the semi. May have scraped a bit more possession and a few more passes but ultimately it was all them and against us it likely always will be. We were better at home but it's the same end result.

I'm not even advocating we've got every chance of survival this season, I'm firmly in the camp they we're heading for relegation but we have a full half of a season left and who the fuck knows what's going to happen. The point is we need to stop throwing the toys out because of a result we all knew was coming anyway.

I'm not sure what's more irritating, watching the team struggle in this league or watching the fans who claimed we were down before the season started somehow annoyed that it's looking to be true?

We rode our luck massively in the game against them earlier this season. To my eyes this was a slightly better display in terms of our shape but we were obviously far outclassed again and never really looked like getting back in it once they scored.

You know what the game is gonna look like vs City. It'll be a lot of 5-4-1 sitting in, hope you keep them out, maybe create something on the break or push for something in the last 10 if it's only 0-1.

First half was ok, I don't think 0-0 would have been unreasonable. They didn't create too much and we had a couple half chances. Rodri's goal was a good strike, feels like Wes & Robbo could do better but he takes it quickly. Second half they stepped it up a bit and once the second went in the game was dead.

We need to be better in possession, there was some really sloppy stuff when we were trying to play out but City are also great at having a good defensive structure and winning the ball back quickly so I won't be too critical.

Wilder has some time to work with the players now and make a couple of moves in the transfer window so I'll be interested to see how we look after that.

Nice to see RND and Brewster on the pitch. I'm expecting more from RND than Brewster but hope they can both stay fit.

Bogle great again.

Back
Top Bottom