Mal Brannigan discusses deadline day....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Defence, defensive midfielder and forward - all Championship players
Those were the positions that Mal Brannigan stated we had made bids for.

Defensively I guess we were looking at centre back cover - which would pour more doubt over Butler's future.
Could have been Pearce, from Leeds.
Maybe it was a right back - Having lost out on Freeman we know NC is still looking to strengthen there.

In terms of midfield, not sure why we need another defensive midfielder as we have plenty of midfielders already.

If the Blackpool admission of a bid for Steven Davies is correct then he would have been the only forward we bid for.
That's not a player that will be firing us into the Championship any time soon. He has had a torrid time with injuries and whilst he may be a decent player when fully fit he may only be available for part of a season. That's a big gamble to make when we are desperately needing better quality at the sharp end.

He clearly only said what we all wanted to hear, that the players clubs did not want to sell, which is probably false we are just not good enough financially.

He says exactly what I expected him to say. The club were highly ambitious and went in for Championship players, on of which may have been Brayford but who knows but regardless I thought that was the case. Again showing ambition it seems the club tabled ambitious bids which they thought were more than reasonable and it doesn't seem like the clubs buffered us price price it was more that the players were considered important enough to their owners to keep hold of.

There is nothing saying that we won't now go back to the clubs and explore the possibility of loans. We didn't want to go about things this way but if we have to and can get hold of them on long term loan deals to help us push for promotion then so be it.

It is all moan and groan amongst Blades fans today however there are so many positives that you can take out of all this. We already have a steady squad and our manager only wanted a level of quality that would improve our team as opposed to average squad players. In addition to this is seems the manager received full financial back from our owners.

We tried, we failed for reasons out of our hands. Back to the drawing board and work away at the loan market. Simple as.

We simply shouldn't have left it to the final day, on the final day you have to pay a premium for players because majority of teams won't have time to find a replacement even if they are willing to sell a player.

I'm not to bothered about our lack of transfer activity yesterday but what does frustrate me is leaving deals to the final day.

Even the updates we received from Radio Sheffield and Jim Phipps at 9pm saying we are still trying.....is it possible to sign a player in 2hours? Surely you have to agree personal terms and the player has to have a medical.

Last edited:
We simply shouldn't have left it to the final day, on the final day you have to pay a premium for players because majority of teams won't have time to find a replacement even if they are willing to sell a player.

I'm not to bothered about our lack of transfer activity yesterday but what does frustrate me is leaving deals to the final day.

But boot on the other foot as a league one club looking to attract Championship level players had we gone in early we would have possibly had more chance of being buffered back as players would prefer to hold out for alternative championship clubs as opposed to dropping down a league. It is far less as clear cut as people would like to think it is, the transfer window is very complex stuff.

They weren't last minute from what Mal stated - one deal was started in July, one two weeks ago and the other last week when they thought there was an opportunity to do business (maybe agent alerted?). All reasonable time to conclude a deal.

My main bugbear is the striker situation has still not been addressed and the glaringly obvious lack of a credible goal threat. OK we have signed McNuts and Higdon for fees but they have been working in Scottish level 2 and the lower echelons of the Dutch prem - which is not as hot as others might tell you after you get beyond the top 6, or so. This kind of recruitment is nowhere near ambitious enough to make a significant challenge on this league season for a promotion slot. Those signings are really support players, a development player in McNuts case, not your main strike force, surely?

Nice interesting 10 min interview from our MD on deadline day and what happened...... Will answer a lot of the questions I have seen posted on here since yesterday....

https://audioboo.fm/boos/2442032-su...=retweet&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter
First of all thanks for that S5Blade .Its a strange one,us starting the bidding process for a player at the end of July,and then trying to finish it at the end of Augusto_O,where has that player been? The black hole:rolleyes::D

Like RedandWhite says,he's not going to say anything the fans don't want to hear.Also the bit where he says they tied their buisness up at 10pm was what i referred to in another thread,i'd just like us to go that extra yard to atleast get the main target,but its not to be and we will have to settle for the loan window,which i don't think will be the worst thing as long as we get that bit of quality required when the loan window opens,if we don't i will be mightily pissed off,but for now,i'm content:)

Domino effect ,the selling club may have needed another player who couldn't be released by his seller until their target was released etc etc.

First of all thanks for that S5Blade .Its a strange one,us starting the bidding process for a player at the end of July,and then trying to finish it at the end of Augusto_O,where has that player been? The black hole:rolleyes::D

Like RedandWhite says,he's not going to say anything the fans don't want to hear.Also the bit where he says they tied their buisness up at 10pm was what i referred to in another thread,i'd just like us to go that extra yard to atleast get the main target,but its not to be and we will have to settle for the loan window,which i don't think will be the worst thing as long as we get that bit of quality required when the loan window opens,if we don't i will be mightily pissed off,but for now,i'm content:)

Do you believe him though, that's the main thing ;)

Domino effect ,the selling club may have needed another player who couldn't be released by his seller until their target was released etc etc.
Yes sitters,thats right,and the clubs in question might not have been able to afford their replacements with the money we were offering.

One thing he did say which was a little strange was that all the bids were refused because the teams didn't want to sell or deemed the players needed by the parent club but on the other hand he said one would be available on loan.

I suppose he could have been recently injured and they are prepared to let him get match fit with us before taking him back but I'm not sure that really helps us.

Nice interesting 10 min interview from our MD on deadline day and what happened...... Will answer a lot of the questions I have seen posted on here since yesterday....
"We thought we could get all three"
"The teams gave us a straight NO"
Soooooo, what the hell made us believe we could get them??
Sod it, I'm not winding myself up about it any more. There's a chance of getting at least one on loan he says so like an idiot il hold in to that hope for a while too

https://audioboo.fm/boos/2442032-su...=retweet&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

FFS...Should have gone for Welbeck!

He clearly only said what we all wanted to hear, that the players clubs did not want to sell, which is probably false we are just not good enough financially.

Brilliant!

Club official tells what went off. It doesn't fit what a fan thinks happened so immediately it's a lie! Love it!

The Brayford one supposedly was early on in the window we made an approach and Ole Gunnar buffed us back saying the player was for sale and he had plans for him, the club said that they would could an eye on him and that it wasn't over as far as they were concerned and would re-address it later in window. We can only really go on the media but Ole Gunnar said his bit in a TV interview.

Brilliant!

Club official tells what went off. It doesn't fit what a fan thinks happened so immediately it's a lie! Love it!

Football Manager and Championship Manager have a good bit to to answer for these days hey SB? We are a nation of Managers and Chairmen as opposed to simple supporters of the club!

What's Brian the Bellend on RS excuse? Don't have him down as the gaming type in his advance years

The Brayford one supposedly was early on in the window we made an approach and Ole Gunnar buffed us back saying the player was for sale and he had plans for him, the club said that they would could an eye on him and that it wasn't over as far as they were concerned and would re-address it later in window. We can only really go on the media but Ole Gunnar said his bit in a TV interview.
Sorry but i'm not falling for that.We never bidded for Brayford and two other players at the same time yesterday.

Brilliant!

I think he's trying to say every player has their price,but we are very rarely willing to match it.

Sorry but i'm not falling for that.We never bidded for Brayford and two other players at the same time yesterday.

What evidence do you have to believe otherwise? Mal said himself that one of the players we chased yesterday we had been looking at for a long time. Brayford is the one name who has been current throughout.

Don't get how everyone feels the need to question the club every two minutes! We tried, we failed and we move on simple as! Don't get all the pathetic unfounded doom and gloom from people who think they know otherwise without any firm evidence! That makes you as bad as the club does it not?

What evidence do you have to believe otherwise? Mal said himself that one of the players we chased yesterday we had been looking at for a long time. Brayford is the one name who has been current throughout.

Don't get how everyone feels the need to question the club every two minutes! We tried, we failed and we move on simple as! Don't get all the pathetic unfounded doom and gloom from people who think they know otherwise without any firm evidence! That makes you as bad as the club does it not?
Listen,what evidence as you have so put it,that we have bidded for him,jeysus wept.Brayford will be a million quid,would he not,so for us then to bid for 2 other players,that would surely be too much money we would end up spending.And cut the fucking tone with me.

Listen,what evidence as you have so put it,that we have bidded for him,jeysus wept.Brayford will be a million quid,would he not,so for us then to bid for 2 other players,that would surely be too much money we would end up spending.And cut the fucking tone with me.

I will take whatever tone I want with you, your the plank with the nark on because people don't share your negativity! Fucking internet warrior!

Just because you chose to believe that the club are under-ambitious and screwing us over doesn't mean that we all have to. I don't agree with you simple so fuck off and don't question my tone! Getting arse on cos I don't fucking agree with you! Pathetic clown!

Last edited:
I will take whatever tone I want with you, your the plank with the nark on because people don't share your negativity! Fucking internet warrior!

Just because you chose to believe that the club are under-ambitious and screwing us over doesn't mean that we all have to. I don't agree with you simple so fuck off and don't question my tone! Getting arse on cos I don't fucking agree with you! Pathetic clown!
Yes apologies,i accept i overreacted.

A positive we can take at least is that we are at looking at Championship players. Going against the belief that we are lacking ambition and shows we have the money and are prepared to use it. If we were in the league above we'd be able to get some of these deals done I think.

Saying the clubs did not want to sell the players just doesn't sound right - certainly not for all 3. The fact is most clubs will sell if the price is right. It seems we just did not offer enough for any of the targets - which is disappointing given the money coming in and the talk about how things have changed at Board level.

Personally, I have no problems with loans though - if it means bringing in better quality players. The pigs got promoted from Div 3 thanks largely to their loan signings. I just hope we go for quality though - even though it will cost more.

Back
Top Bottom