Loan to buy - a strategy forwards?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Whilst I agree that loans are slightly different because they are essentially a 1 season financial commitment, the budget for the club will be the budget for the club. I imagine it will be down to Hecky how he carves this up, unless the board has gone all Kevin McCabe on us and is insisting that they won't fund permanent transfers.

If we buy someone then we have to consider the cash and the P&L impact of this. Cash will be wages plus transfer instalments over the period of the contract, but with the potential that we can sell them on during their contract if required (and if they're any good!). The P&L side will be the wages plus amortisation over the length of the contract. Both need to be manageable within a 3 year budget, with scenarios for staying up and going down factored in.

In my opinion if we go down the short term route too heavily, then we're fucked. If we go down the permanent route in the same way we did last time with expensive, but pretty shit players, we're fucked.

It will be interesting to see how we proceed this time. I'd imagine a small-ish transfer budget with the scope for loans to fill the squad out. Free transfers will be few and far between, particularly ones who will actually impact us on the pitch (see Rodwell, Jags, Ravel etc.).

The budget(s) will be incentivised in a way to encourage PH to prioritise loans.

Back
Top Bottom