Kop redevelopment back on?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

LoughboroBlade

Reaction score
Hmm... http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/yorkshire/blades-to-kickstart-bramall-lane-redevelopment?

On the one hand, I'd be absolutely delighted to see an end to the pillars of the Kop, which was the main reason I thought we'd brought in civil engineer and occasional footballer Martyn Woolford over the summer.

On the other hand, I'd prefer this was just a replacement with a better Kop of the same size. 37,000 ground capacity seems excessive.

EXCLUSIVE: BLADES TO KICKSTART BRAMALL LANE REDEVELOPMENT
10th Nov 2015 Yorkshire Matthew Ord
Sheffield_United_new__448_240_95.jpg

Sheffield United FC have expressed their desire to start construction work on the redevelopment of their historic Bramall Lane ground "as soon as possible" after taking the steps required to trigger a planning permission originally secured in 2009.

That approval, which the Blades successfully extended in 2013, involves an extension to the Kop Stand, alterations to the North East corner of the stadium, alongside the erection of a business enterprise centre and associated infrastructure.

The League One club has now submitted an application to discharge a series of conditions from the original approval, which need to be satisfied before work can begin. These include providing samples of all external materials and finishes, drawing up a landscape scheme for the area, submitting details of the construction process and undertaking highways improvements.

The application covering the discharge of conditions has been drawn up by Zerum Consult. In a letter to Sheffield City Council, the development consultancy confirms the club are "keen to start work on site as soon as possible".

The Kop extension will add an extra 3,215 seats. The major redevelopment, which will require the removal of the stand’s roof, is also designed to allow new hospitality, conference and exhibition space, new offices for the club and media facilities. The additional seating will be located atop a concourse area with club offices and a car park beneath.

The entirety of the resulting structure will be covered by a large cantilevered truss roof with familiar supporting steel work projecting from the Shoreham Street elevation.

Changes proposed to the North East corner are "exclusively internal" and will result in improved views for supporters, as well as the introduction of additional viewing boxes.

The business centre will be seven domestic storeys in height and occupy a rectangular footprint adjoining both the South Stand and Kop Stand. It will house office space and a TV/media centre.

GMI Construction Group has been appointed to the project.

Bramall Lane is the oldest major league ground in the world, having hosted its first game in 1862. The original redevelopment masterplan envisaged a 44,500-capacity stadium, up from the ground's current 33,000 seats, able to stage games for the 2018 FIFA World Cup which England was at the time hopeful of hosting.

The extension is to be carried out in two phases with the Kop element of the scheme first, taking capacity up to 37,000, followed by the South Stand. An extension of time for the South Stand permission was secured in 2014.

Interesting!

"GMI Construction Group has been appointed to the project." may suggest things are moving forward

I was only mentioning the state of the kop a couple of games back. It does look a bit of a state

On the one hand, yes gerron wi it

On the other, let's get out of this fkin division first and then develop the ground to the next level

Interesting!

"GMI Construction Group has been appointed to the project." may suggest things are moving forward

I was only mentioning the state of the kop a couple of games back. It does look a bit of a state

On the one hand, yes gerron wi it

On the other, let's get out of this fkin division first and then develop the ground to the next level

Every time I get a ticket in the Kop, I somehow manage to forget exactly which seats they are particularly annoying for – naturally leading to me sat with them obscuring a key part of the penalty area.

The club need to include the ability for rail seats on an extended Kop.

Reading the article I suspect they are just securing the planning consent in perpetuity and will just undertake some of the groundworks etc to facilitate phase 1. I highly doubt we'll be pressing on with the works themselves. Even at best case they'd be looking at 18-24 months before we'd realistically see anything happening.

I hope that they've consulted with an Acoustic Engineer as well to maintain the atmosphere when the Kop is full. That's worth another 5-10 points a season back when we are playing bigger games more frequently.

I concur with the above sentiment !! Suppose the best time to redevelop is while we are in this pisspot league and the one above (while the ground isn't full ) because we need to strap ourselves in for the Europe in 5 years ride !! We certainly don't want building work going on when Real Madrid and the likes start playing at BDTBL !!As ever UTB and looking forward to seeing the mighty Fleetwood! Suppose that's in Europe!!!

We would get well over the present capacity often enough in the Premier League to justify the development. We'd sell out completely for at least half a dozen games. It makes sense. Just need to get in the Prem now......

McCabe can fuck off with another business centre it is a football stadium for Christ sake it should only have space for supporters, that twat would have it looking like Orient's ground if he could. Summat is afoot though as there is also a planning application in for close on 1000 solar panels to go on the kop roof.

McCabe can fuck off with another business centre it is a football stadium for Christ sake it should only have space for supporters, that twat would have it looking like Orient's ground if he could. Summat is afoot though as there is also a planning application in for close on 1000 solar panels to go on the kop roof.
And plans for a heat recovery unit to recycle the hot air generated in the boardroom.

Can't wait.
Sit on the front row and every time it rains I get soaked.
Apparently the new roof sticks out another 2 metres which might just keep me dry,unless that sprinkler gets me again
#grumpytwat

We would get well over the present capacity often enough in the Premier League to justify the development. We'd sell out completely for at least half a dozen games. It makes sense. Just need to get in the Prem now......

Would we though? I know we averaged 30,000 last time, but did we actually officially sell out our allocation for any? The biggest attendance of the season was 32k, pretty much capacity, on the last day of the season. I think 30,000 is pretty much our peak. I'm confident we'd get that back in the Premier League, but I'd surprised if we regularly got "well over" that as you suggest.

Good, that Kop Stand has been piss-poor on so many levels (poor sight lines, poor leg-room, poor facilities, obstructed viewing) since the day it was opened.

The number of times I drive down East Bank Road or get the tram into town and think that (the Kop Stand) looks at best underwhelming, or more so shoddy. It should set the tone for the rest of the ground, it should be imposing and stand out on the horizon for all its fans to be proud of, it should be something along the lines "Sheffield United Football Club" this city is ours.

A quick search on the council's planning permission site suggests that the article is bang on.
upload_2015-11-10_19-27-11.png

Is it not just a re application to keep the permission open?

UTB

It gives us flexibility to sell the upper and lower to the bigger clubs(approx 7000)and still have 30k home seats
=loads of money

Be nice if they can sort out the time it takes to get out, often a good 10 minutes to get from my seat, only 20 rows back and 10 in from the last gangway on the JS side, to getting out the front. It must be one of the slowest emptying stands in the country

Would we though? I know we averaged 30,000 last time, but did we actually officially sell out our allocation for any? The biggest attendance of the season was 32k, pretty much capacity, on the last day of the season. I think 30,000 is pretty much our peak. I'm confident we'd get that back in the Premier League, but I'd surprised if we regularly got "well over" that as you suggest.
I think we'd get 'well over' for Weekend games against the 'big' sides. Not so convinced about Swansea on a Tuesday night.
But I can say anything because by the time we get back in the PL this post will be forgotten about.

Nope. It's the final application to get the minor details approved by the authority. Usually indicates construction work somewhere in the near future.

You're wrong, they need to submit these details for approval and then make a site start to activate the permission indefinitely. I expect this is what they are doing.

Good, that Kop Stand has been piss-poor on so many levels (poor sight lines, poor leg-room, poor facilities, obstructed viewing) since the day it was opened.

The number of times I drive down East Bank Road or get the tram into town and think that (the Kop Stand) looks at best underwhelming, or more so shoddy. It should set the tone for the rest of the ground, it should be imposing and stand out on the horizon for all its fans to be proud of, it should be something along the lines "Sheffield United Football Club" this city is ours.
The kop is the worst aspect with the exposed girders and corrugated sheets,it looks very tired and outdated tbh

Back
Top Bottom