January Signings

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'd still like to see a big unit of a midfielder (preferrably one with a goal or two in him). Boateng (on loan at Bristol Rovers till January) would do very nicely. So would Luton's McGeehan.

Other than that, I'm with those who say "don't tamper too much". Team spirit's all important & we really don't need it disrupted. What we've got is pretty much fine (& there's still youngsters like Semple and Whiteman on the verge of breaking through. Not broke - no need to fix it.

GK - experienced back up to Moore

Right Wing Back - Cover/improvement
Left Wing Back - Lafferty permanent/improvement

Centre Mid - improvement/cover for Basham

Cover for Duffy - he seems to be the only one capable of playing 'in the hole' behind the strikers.

Cover for Duffy? Surprised the Baxter fan club don't want him in the Number 10 role

Duffy's showing Baxter how to play the number 10 role effectively.

I think some of you cautious ones are in for a surprise. Tufty is impatient (in the right way, not recklessly) to build his team. I expect him to go for two or three quality additions, not sticking plasters. Centre-Back, goalscorer and wide midfield is my prediction.

Yes, I know I'm fucking useless at predictions....

I'd move 6 or 7 on and bring in fresh. Can't afford to let things get stale. Act, don't react.

That barely makes sense........stale?? Evolution rather than revolution is the key, of course there's always room for improvement, but we're a long, long way from stale, as the side Wilder is building is hungry, ready to listen, and showing steady signs of developing as a force to be reckoned with. It's not too fanciful to suggest that character is as significant as talent where Wilder's concerned, a factor that goes right to the heart of what Wilder's United stands for.

Whatever Wilder decides throughout January, it'll be in United's best interests.

the side generally lacks real pace. I haven't seen much of Lavery, who may have pace in spades but I'd like to see a couple of players with an extra yard as I think at times we will need it.

2 or 3 players that are better than the current 1st team incumbent every transfer window is what we really need to do.

That barely makes sense........stale?? Evolution rather than revolution is the key, of course there's always room for improvement, but we're a long, long way from stale, as the side Wilder is building is hungry, ready to listen, and showing steady signs of developing as a force to be reckoned with. It's not too fanciful to suggest that character is as significant as talent where Wilder's concerned, a factor that goes right to the heart of what Wilder's United stands for.

Whatever Wilder decides throughout January, it'll be in United's best interests.

I'll take this one...

WOOSH.

Wilder needs to decide if we're building the rest of the season on the 3-5-2. That could dictate our activity to an extent. I'm happy to go along with what he thinks is required, he's already earned that trust. Unlike previous managers, he can see everything we see and more.

One thing is certain, we do have to strengthen - even if things are going really well. It's what forward thinking clubs do in that situation. You've always got to try and improve. Wigan last season are a good recent L1 example - in reality they could've cruised to promotion with what they already had, but they strengthened further in January and made sure of it.

If we are in a good position though, we should try and avoid signing players who'll only do a job in L1. That would possibly require a bit more being spent but if the board couldn't commit in that situation then they never will.

There are a few areas we should consider, and the priorities will become clearer the closer to January we get.

Goalkeeper - experienced, cheap back up would be helpful but is not a necessity.

Centre half - Signing Ebanks-Landell permanently should be a priority. He ticks every box - age, athleticism, ability, mentality. He will be a considerably better player at the end of this season - centre halves seem to develop a lot at his age given regular football. He will be good enough for the Championship in the future. January is the right time to sign him - before his value increases, before anything changes at Wolves. We'd be giving ourselves a great platform for the future with him and O'Connell.
Then there's a decision to be made on whether to try and improve on Jake Wright. Especially as two suitable replacements we were previously interested in will possibly be more available than they were before - Craig Morgan and Byron Webster, especially Webster if Millwall carry on struggling. There are question marks about their ability to play at Championship level though. A lot of this depends on whether Wright maintains his form.

Wide areas - we need a bit more going forward. Some pace, an outlet, a genuine threat. If we're sticking with 3-5-2 as is most likely it'll have to be somebody who can play wing back. And if we do sign someone for this position, it's someone to be first choice, not cover. If we're playing a formation fairly regularly that accommodates an out and out winger then I'd like to see one signed. But given the probability of playing 3-5-2 more often than not, this winger should be someone who can also play behind the front two and possibly as a striker.

Central midfield - due to unforeseen events, we're not as desperate as we looked, in fact quite the opposite. Coutts has improved and made himself an automatic pick. Duffy has ended up playing centrally. Even Basham is a surprise to an extent, he's been more consistent. I do think there's still a vacancy for a strong defensive midfielder but what we do recruitment wise in this area largely depends on what happens between now and January. I'm not concerned about signing cover for Duffy, because we already have Scougall, Chapman and potentially Brooks but in the event of Duffy being injured what we'd probably do first is reshuffle things a bit and put Basham in midfield and push Fleck a bit further forward.

Forwards - we are well stocked in this area as long as Clarvery stay fit, but I would like something extra. Someone who can create for themselves and make things happen. If circumstances arise where we can sign someone better than what we've got, we have to take it. Goals win games, and a top quality striker would secure promotion. I'm obviously thinking about Ched Evans. I hope it can happen. All things considered I think it should be able to happen. Others I'd consider include Omar Bogle and Jon Obika.

So recruitment priorities for me are probably...

1) Sign EEL permanently
2) Wide outlet
3) Striker with something extra
4) Centre half improvement on Wright
5) Strong defensive midfielder
6) Experienced back up goalkeeper

While I'm at it I might as well talk about departures.

If someone will pay for Brayford, get rid.

Recall McNulty and sell him before his contract ends - to someone other than Bradford. The least we should do is loan him somewhere else. Can't be taking silly risks with a possible promotion rival. If for whatever reason we might need him, then we can keep him.

Long can go, especially if we sign another keeper. Someone should offer us something half decent for him.

Kieran Wallace should be sold if possible.

Reed needs to go out on loan ASAP.

Ramsdale can possibly go on loan if we sign another keeper.

None of the above are players we can't afford to lose. We won't sell anyone we can't afford to lose. We barely have anyone left to sell. The most likely ones have only recently joined us, and it's very unlikely that anyone will offer something we can't refuse based on performances up until January, and it's unlikely any of them will be bothered about leaving. We're not under any pressure to sell due to the previous sales of Adams and, unfortunately, DCL. This is why it should be a window where we only get stronger. It's quite a big reason to be confident for the season.

Got some length on that didn't I? Watch out Deadbat.

Agree with pretty much all of that. Shame Nathan Byrne went to Wigan before the window closed as he would have been ideal for the wide outlet who could also play wing back. I agree re Evans but failing that would like Bogle or Akinde for brute strength combined with a bit of pace. I’d be looking to offer McNulty as a make-weight for Evans.

Long term I think we’ll need a Jake Wright successor but it might be able to wait til the summer when, if we go up, we might be able to bring in better quality for that role. Probably doesn’t need to be a beast physically with JOC and EEL either side. But an experienced (but with a few years left in the tank, around 28 YO ideally) leader of the defence with excellent concentration and communication skills.

We have a great chance this season , the best since 2012 , BUT we must strengthen in January , despite already having 27 in the squad.

We have to keep EEL.

We have to get another CB – we are playing 3 in every game , so we need more than 4 plus Basham in the squad. James Wilson has clearly not impressed CW.

There is talk of another goalie , if Long leaves (he is never in the matchday squad).

We are still short of a midfield general / hard-man – if Fleck/Basham gets injured (or Basham has to play CB) , we are light there.

And we are far too reliant on Billy up front.

After a mixed period of form (in his play, not in his goals) , he had a storming game at Bradford.................but if he gets injured before Clarke is fit , we are threadbare up front. Our biggest risk area.

Evans has 6 months left on his contract at Chezie – surely we can nab him in January with bigger wages & a longer contract than Chesterfield can offer , especially if Clarkes injury is career-ending.

If there's no evidence that Clarke/Lavery are/can stay fit , we DEFINITELY need a proven athletic striker in January.

If we don't bring one in , Billy will doubtless break his leg (a la Hulse) and lone striker Done will prove insufficient when Clarke/Lavery have fitness problems ................unless George Long can fill the tall striker role ?

Back
Top Bottom