Is James Wallace injured again?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Unbelievable, slagging off a player because he is injured. As a professional footballer he must be absolutely gutted at how his career is going down the pan. Does anyone seriously think he prefers sitting on the sidelines, rather than being out on the pitch playing games. He injury problems will result in him probably being unable to get a contract at another team, so his comfortable well paid career is going to end, far earlier than it should.
His career promised so much and it is disappointing for both the Blades and Wallace that he just cannot get fit. Cloughie took a gamble by signing a very promising player, who was though recovering from a serious injury. He could have been a fantastic signing if he could have remained fit, however it appears that its just not going to happen. He cannot though be criticised for signing a contract that the club offered him. Unfortunately for Wallace the time is fast approaching when he may have to call it a day and retire, which for me is sad, seeing such a promising career cut short.

[QUOTE="Higgo's Belly, post: 1063332, As a professional footballer he must be absolutely gutted at how his career is going down the pan.[/QUOTE]

He might well be gutted...but not half as gutted as i am when my alarm goes off again at 3.30 in the morning and i drag my sorry ass up out of bed to go to put in another full on shift....probably for a pittance in comparison to what poor little lamb James Wallace will bring in this week and for the last 2 and a bit years since hes been at the Lane contributing just short of sod all for a very handsome take home pay. Not doubting he would have preferred to stay fit and built his career with Utd, and im sure he hasnt had the best of luck...but still, if your looking for sympathy for JW then there is little coming from me. Maybe the poor lad might jusy have to come out of the football bubble and join the rest of us in the real world again. I bet he doesnt even know there is two half past 3s in a single day.

Sorry but fuck him, we've been carrying dead baggage around for far too long. If a player isn't facilitating our success then they mean nothing to me.

All modern day players are mercanaries and should be treated as such.

I feel for him and as I don't know him personally I'll refrain from criticising him for been nesh but I guess Wilder's had a look at him and decided that rather than play him and he'll probably get injured, he's just hoping a club comes in for him or its going to be another pay off. I reckon if by the end of the transfer window that Wallace and Woolford are still with us then the club will have no choice but to pay them off. Wallace is a real shame but Woolford is just shite, and he used to be decent to be fair. Adkins clearly thought he was getting the Woolford he had at Scunny 8 years ago.

Its Woolford who is a complete enigma to me. He had a reasonable reputation in the game, not a world beater granted but someone who had played regularly in the second tier of english football for a large part of his career....sufc sign him...and he is utter bobbar. No skill, no pace, no tricks to beat a man, crossing abysmal, a player who contributed absolutely nothing. Whether his legs have just gone im not too sure but how the hell did he play so many games for a reasonable Millwall side? I cant fault his attitude cos i think he tried but the ability just wasnt there. What did Numpty Nigel see in this lad cos im buggered if i can see what he had to offer. Mind u anyone who could make Mceveley captain....

I should make a flow chart.

Are you watching a United game?
Is Wallace on the pitch?
Is a physio treating him?
Wallace is injured.

[QUOTE="Higgo's Belly, post: 1063332, As a professional footballer he must be absolutely gutted at how his career is going down the pan.

He might well be gutted...but not half as gutted as i am when my alarm goes off again at 3.30 in the morning and i drag my sorry ass up out of bed to go to put in another full on shift....probably for a pittance in comparison to what poor little lamb James Wallace will bring in this week and for the last 2 and a bit years since hes been at the Lane contributing just short of sod all for a very handsome take home pay. Not doubting he would have preferred to stay fit and built his career with Utd, and im sure he hasnt had the best of luck...but still, if your looking for sympathy for JW then there is little coming from me. Maybe the poor lad might jusy have to come out of the football bubble and join the rest of us in the real world again. I bet he doesnt even know there is two half past 3s in a single day.[/QUO

I'm not attempting to generate sympathy for Wallace, its just I don't get the torrent of abuse that he gets for being injured, when I'm certain he would much prefer to be playing. Yes, he has been a terrible signing, however the club, on Cloughies recommendation chose to offer him a contract, knowing that he was recovering from a serious injury. Its not Wallace's fault, its the fault of the powers that be at the club for sanctioning his signing , however they seem to be escaping any criticism for giving him a contract, despite knowing of his injury problems.

I have more issue with the likes of Woolford, who when he plays appears lazy and uninterested, but still picks up a very handsome wage packet. As a player he's not fit to lace the boots of Wallace, who from his limited appearances looked a good player. Some players are just injury prone, such as Kennedy was, however despite his injuries, nobody could doubt Kennedys commitment.
Like with Kennedy, its time for Wallace to go. The club took an expensive gamble signing Wallace as they were aware of his injury record, but they took the gamble, as they were aware of his potential. As with a alarming number of our signings the club got it horribly wrong

I can't understand why we haven't called it a day with the lad and cashed in the insurance policy last season ....................................... unless, no we wouldn't be so dumb as not to have insurance ............................. would we?

James Wallace career history. 92 first team appearances (+6 international) in 7 years - has he ever been fully fit?

View attachment 18794
That reads like a disaster list. Blimey Clough was a burk for giving him that contract. When i think back at some of the brain deads who have been Utds manager in the last decade i could cry.

That reads like a disaster list. Blimey Clough was a burk for giving him that contract. When i think back at some of the brain deads who have been Utds manager in the last decade i could cry.

But you take chances like that as a manager. It's all very good people coming in with hindsight saying "that was stupid" but at the time I don't remember anyone saying anything of the sort.

It didn't work so we should get him off the books and move along. Castigating a former manager from the comfort of your keyboard 2 years on is great, but not relevant.

I see where you are coming from BW but Clough is a professional who should have had an insight into what was likely to happen and taken steps to mitigate that risk. It's all very well giving lucrative contracts with other people's money but it might have been a different story if it had been his own money, don't you think?

I just hope that the rhetoric of CW is honest and that he treats the money aspect with a lot more respect than predecessors. If it had been so in the past, maybe it would not be impacting on the budget so harshly now. We are, after all, only a LG 1 side and must budget accordingly.

I see where you are coming from BW but Clough is a professional who should have had an insight into what was likely to happen and taken steps to mitigate that risk. It's all very well giving lucrative contracts with other people's money but it might have been a different story if it had been his own money, don't you think?

I just hope that the rhetoric of CW is honest and that he treats the money aspect with a lot more respect than predecessors. If it had been so in the past, maybe it would not be impacting on the budget so harshly now. We are, after all, only a LG 1 side and must budget accordingly.

We don't know if it was lucrative or pay as you play. Fact is we know little but assume a lot. Bloke could be on 500 per week for all we know.

I don't think Clough spent any more money out than his teams brought in. 2 cup semi finals and sales of major players probably mean that as what he spent to what came in Clough broke even. We were broken as a club well before Clough came in.

But you take chances like that as a manager. It's all very good people coming in with hindsight saying "that was stupid" but at the time I don't remember anyone saying anything of the sort.

It didn't work so we should get him off the books and move along. Castigating a former manager from the comfort of your keyboard 2 years on is great, but not relevant.

Really...not relevant? Totally disagree. Its totally relevant as JW is taking a nice wedge of cash out of the club (and has been for over 2 years now) and this money could have been used to bring in others who could contribute to our season. Yes every signing has 'risk' attached to it but the good managers leave the amount of 'risk' in their signings to a minimum. Are you trying to tell me that it was common sense from Clough to offer a lad like JW with his previous injury record the large 3 year contract we did? It just seems a ridiculously hopeful daft decision and he was taking a very large gamble with Utds limited resources. I dont thinl hindsight comes into it much as just a bit of forethought and common sense applied would have told Clough not to offer the contract he did. And to be fair to the fans who didnt raise any obejections at the time...most fans arent paid to complete due diligence on prospective incoming football players for sufc and get to study their injury record. I was fine with the signing of JW, but to give him a 3 year contract on the very good money he is undoubtedly on, was a reckless gamble by Clough and is still restricting Utd and CW to a degree now. So yes, still very relevant i feel to raise to Cloughs face or on this thread.

Really...not relevant? Totally disagree. Its totally relevant as JW is taking a nice wedge of cash out of the club (and has been for over 2 years now) and this money could have been used to bring in others who could contribute to our season. Yes every signing has 'risk' attached to it but the good managers leave the amount of 'risk' in their signings to a minimum. Are you trying to tell me that it was common sense from Clough to offer a lad like JW with his previous injury record the large 2 year contract we did? It just seems a ridiculously hopeful daft decision and he was taking a very large gamble with Utds limited resources. I dont thinl hindsight comes into it much as just a bit of forethought and common sense applied would have told Clough not to offer the contract he did. And to be fair to the fans who didnt raise any obejections at the time...most fans arent paid to complete due diligence on prospective incoming football players for sufc and get to study their injury record. I was fine with the signing of JW, but to give him a 3 year contract on the very good money he is undoubtedly on, was a reckless gamble by Clough and is still restricting Utd and CW to a degree now. So yes, still very relevant i feel to raise to Cloughs face or on this thread.

Before you get your pants tied around your head, how much are we paying him? Tell me for sure he is on more than 4K per week and we might have something.

Before you get your pants tied around your head, how much are we paying him? Tell me for sure he is on more than 4K per week and we might have something.

Likewise prove to me that he isnt on less than 4k a week then and that he is only on a pay as you play deal....yeh right. Not that it counts for much as i cant prove it either way but i heard he was actually on more than 4 grand a week at sufc. Try north of 5 grand. But remeber that CW himseld has intimated that he needs to get players out to bring people in. He wouldnt need to do that if they were all on play as you play contracts or on low basic wages.

Likewise prove to me that he isnt on less than 4k a week then and that he is only on a pay as you play deal....yeh right. Not that it counts for much as i cant prove it either way but i heard he was actually on more than 4 grand a week at sufc. Try north of 5 grand. But remeber that CW himseld has intimated that he needs to get players out to bring people in. He wouldnt need to do that if they were all on play as you play contracts or on low basic wages.

But you are the one throwing rocks. I don't need to prove anything because I don't know or frankly care. What is incorrect here is you are making assertions and slapping words like lucrative and big contract around without any hint of fact.

Move along, nothing to see here.

But you are the one throwing rocks.

'Castigating a former manager from the comfort of your keyboard'...

Not a bad throw that if i may so say myself. Yes move along.

Come on BW you sometimes have a pop at our former gaffers ;-)

The new Where's Wally Sheffield United edition isn't really trying image.jpg

Couple of comical points to note.

One seemingly having a pop at the club because they have given Wallace a huge basic wage contract...(without any clue if that is true obviously), and intimating that he should be on a pay deal that means he's paid on a playing basis or a low basic wage!

Yet on the other hand, the club are slagged for not getting certain players in and being tight with the coffers!...so which is it?

Maybe all these experts should contact the club and offer their expertise in football player contract negotiations.

But the facts are this.
We wanted to keep Coady...quoted silly money by Liverpool we refused to meet. If we had however decided to go for it, the fee (£1m), plus signing on fees and agents fees...£200k. Add to that the wage a player bought for that fee will expect...5k a week plus bonus's over a 3 year deal (conservative estimate £800k) so Coady for that time would have been £2million (minimum)

Wallace- prior to injury was a top talent, England youth player but had recovered from a bad injury, having played a few games on return for Tranmere. He was out of contract (a contract that would have been cheap as Tranmere were very skint) and had proven his ability and potential.
So no fee, just wages to get him in, which would have to have been competitive. Let's say £5k, as prior to injury he was a million pound player. 3 years deal...£750k
Ignore the injury, he passed a medical. Experienced manager and ex pro's decided that his problems would ultimately settle down and he will get fit. However, as he's not playing, there will be no bonus.

So in summary...at the time we signed him we were looking at 2 players for the same position, one was costing a million at least less over the term of his contract. We were in a period of requiring a fair few players, and with the club then and still not just buying their way out and having a bottomless pit any reasoned, sensible person can see why we took on Wallace. It was a risk that didn't work on this occasion.
You win some....,you lose some.

Back
Top Bottom