Is Friday as near as we get.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Our only true, rock solid rivalry is with Wednesday. Unlike Greater London, where most teams have a hardcore area of support, Sheffield is split 50/50 with no natural dividing line really. Its fair to say that most pigs are in the north of Sheffield but there are also many Blades up there too. Most families are split apart by the rivalry. Growing up, my dad and sister were pigs; me, my mum and brother were Blades. Many families (or at least extended familites) in Sheffield are like that.

When it comes to Leeds, yep you could call them rivals but nothing at all like it is between Blades and pigs. As for the other Yorkshire teams, well there's almost a love-in with Blades and Rotherham lol - they aren't too keen on the pigs though as quite a few pigs are from the wider Sheffield region - eg Rotherham. And the rest of the clubs ..... nah don't give a toss really.... probably like you lot and QPR or Fulham.
Very interesting, Snake 👍 Sounds a bit like Liverpool/Everton or the Mancs or the two Bristols (oo-er mrs).
I'm almost scared to ask, but why are they called pigs?...
I have heard that Barnsley aren't your biggest fans but I'm guessing that might be largely owing to them never having been anywhere near as big as you.
Yeah, even though they are London, Palace, QPR, Fulham, Charlton & poor little Orient (actually a nice little club & kind of a second club for a few WH fans), probably don't stir the blood as much as Arsenal,, Spurs & Chelsea although yes, Spurs to us, are your Wednesday. Just proximity & size of club, really. Orient & Charlton are probably closer.
We have had weird hatreds though. Clubs like Luton or Oldham. Anyone that's been a bogey team for us. There's been a few..

Warnock hasn’t kept any team up that he’s managed in the premier league, that’s the reason we got relegated, they can go on about tevez all they like, but I remember him being transferred to Man Utd and they couldn’t stop it.

pardew (was it) says he’s going nowhere and the next day he’s holding a Man Utd shirt on the pitch at Old Trafford.

If he’s a West Ham legend, then so am I.

Very interesting, Snake 👍 Sounds a bit like Liverpool/Everton or the Mancs or the two Bristols (oo-er mrs).
I'm almost scared to ask, but why are they called pigs?...
I have heard that Barnsley aren't your biggest fans but I'm guessing that might be largely owing to them never having been anywhere near as big as you.
Yeah, even though they are London, Palace, QPR, Fulham, Charlton & poor little Orient (actually a nice little club & kind of a second club for a few WH fans), probably don't stir the blood as much as Arsenal,, Spurs & Chelsea although yes, Spurs to us, are your Wednesday. Just proximity & size of club, really. Orient & Charlton are probably closer.
We have had weird hatreds though. Clubs like Luton or Oldham. Anyone that's been a bogey team for us. There's been a few..

The pigs name ........ now that's a whole new debate and looooong story; there are many fables and opinions around as to the term pigs. They call us pigs too, and claim that the original name came from them, about us. Of course, we claim the opposite 😂🐷.

I've spent a lot of time, on and off, over the years working and staying in and around London, so know they place quite well - especially North West London. As we both agreed, the demographic of supporters in London and Sheffield are quite different. In recent years much of Inner London has been taken over by immigrants and traditionally non-football supporting communities (eg Bangladeshis in the East End and out into Newham) This coupled with a big influx of EU citizens living in the Outer Boroughs and house/rent prices in general have pushed many of what we would call 'traditional cockney football supporters' out to the edges of London and beyond. We in the northern cities aren't quite there yet. Of course, we have a mini version of this but it's not really hit the football community as much as I've seen in London. The majority of Blades fans are from the city itself. Our ground is just to the south of the city centre and we are very proud to claim that the city is red and white! As I mentioned before, of course there are many Wednesday fans in the city too, but we like to refer to them as 'South Barnsley', as their ground is in the northern suburbs of the city. I think it's fair to say that there are more pigs than Blades in the wider Sheffield and Yorkshire region. We are very much the 'city' club!

Please don't take this the wrong way mate, but I really do feel sorry for the older West Ham fans. Upton Park was very similar to Bramall Lane. A fantastic little ground right in the heart of the local community. Going there was an experience, and you could feel the pride and sense of belonging in the West Ham supporters. I went down to the London Stadium for the first time earlier this season. Oh by god, what a change for you guys. Fuckin horrible is all I could describe it as. Everything about the place just didn't seem right for how I perceive West Ham football supporters. From the location (next to a monstrous shopping centre) to the layout and look/feel. Chatting to the West Ham fans over a beer or 6 pre and post the game, to a man, they hated it. I couldn't even bring myself to sing 'You're not West Ham any more' .... because, quite frankly, you aren't. It's sad. If that happened to us, I honestly feel that would be me done and after many many years I would finally find something else to do with myself on a Saturday afternoon.

Last edited:
When was the last Friday night game we won?

We beat Forest 2-0 on Good Friday last season. Wasn't a night game though. Last time we won on a Friday night was when we lost Coutts at Burton. Burton 1-3 Blades on 17th Nov 2017.

We haven't performed too well on a Friday 'under the lights' since:

Fr 08/10/17 Blades 1-2 Bristol City
Fr 12/01/18 Blades 0-0 Pigs
Fr 16/02/18 Leicester 1-0 Blades
Fr 23/02/18 Hull 1-0 Blades
Fr 09/11/18 Blades 0-0 Pigs
Fr 14/12/18 Blades 1-2 WBA
Fr 08/02/19 Villa 3-3 Blades

Looking forward to Friday and expecting good noise from Hammers. If trouble does kick off then I for one will definitely be standing my ground - not for any aggro but saving me legs for Park Run in the morn....

Fuck all this we've moved on bollocks.

West ham truly are the scammers.

We've all paid for their stadium. We all pay for their free advertising on east enders, and every week on the massive advert that is the apprentice.

We paid when they cheated the league rules, as proven, on balance, in court.

First time for that lot at our place.

Fetch the poncy bastards to highfield hope we stuff em.

Friday is as close as we get to saturday, if that counts?

As I mentioned before, of course there are many Wednesday fans in the city too, but we like to refer to them as 'South Barnsley', as their ground is in the northern suburbs of the city.
Because when they moved there, it wasn't in the city of Sheffield (and they weren't called Sheffield).

No, Sunday's come after.

The pigs name ........ now that's a whole new debate and looooong story; there are many fables and opinions around as to the term pigs. They call us pigs too, and claim that the original name came from them, about us. Of course, we claim the opposite 😂🐷.

I've spent a lot of time, on and off, over the years working and staying in and around London, so know they place quite well - especially North West London. As we both agreed, the demographic of supporters in London and Sheffield are quite different. In recent years much of Inner London has been taken over by immigrants and traditionally non-football supporting communities (eg Bangladeshis in the East End and out into Newham) This coupled with a big influx of EU citizens living in the Outer Boroughs and house/rent prices in general have pushed many of what we would call 'traditional cockney football supporters' out to the edges of London and beyond. We in the northern cities aren't quite there yet. Of course, we have a mini version of this but it's not really hit the football community as much as I've seen in London. The majority of Blades fans are from the city itself. Our ground is just to the south of the city centre and we are very proud to claim that the city is red and white! As I mentioned before, of course there are many Wednesday fans in the city too, but we like to refer to them as 'South Barnsley', as their ground is in the northern suburbs of the city. I think it's fair to say that there are more pigs than Blades in the wider Sheffield and Yorkshire region. We are very much the 'city' club!

Please don't take this the wrong way mate, but I really do feel sorry for the older West Ham fans. Upton Park was very similar to Bramall Lane. A fantastic little ground right in the heart of the local community. Going there was an experience, and you could feel the pride and sense of belonging in the West Ham supporters. I went down to the London Stadium for the first time earlier this season. Oh by god, what a change for you guys. Fuckin horrible is all I could describe it as. Everything about the place just didn't seem right for how I perceive West Ham football supporters. From the location (next to a monstrous shopping centre) to the layout and look/feel. Chatting to the West Ham fans over a beer or 6 pre and post the game, to a man, they hated it. I couldn't even bring myself to sing 'You're not West Ham any more' .... because, quite frankly, you aren't. It's sad. If that happened to us, I honestly feel that would be me done and after many many years I would finally find something else to do with myself on a Saturday afternoon.
And Sunday (morning and afternoon), and Monday nights, and any or all the days in between, depending on what the saviours of football (sky) seem fit.

Another great post, Snake, thanks for that.
No, I don't take it the wrong way, mate. Many of us don't feel like we're WH anymore, so we can't knock the oppos for singing it. We can't be in that place.
And yes, I can only speak about guys on kumb (cos I don't follow any other sites), but I'm reading about people, years or decades of being season ticket holders, jacking it in & not going anymore. If nothing else about the move, why would anyone want a less good view; to be further away from the play? It's been insanity.
I don't say any of this for sympathy although as football fan to football fan, it is genuinely appreciated. I just like other teams fans to know the full picture. If people want to laugh or take the pee, that's fine, it's a free country. The fact is, both home & away fans, now have a worse match experience. And that is not right, for ALL fans.
What would I like to happen? Somehow get ownership of the place (I don't even know if that would ever be possible) & (probably have to) knock it all down & rebuild a proper football stadium in its place OR, build a new proper football stadium somewhere else & get the f*ck out of that place.
I don't have any real hope of either happening, certainly not in the short term, but one of those two things is what will be needed for us to ever get our team back.

Another great post, Snake, thanks for that.
No, I don't take it the wrong way, mate. Many of us don't feel like we're WH anymore, so we can't knock the oppos for singing it. We can't be in that place.
And yes, I can only speak about guys on kumb (cos I don't follow any other sites), but I'm reading about people, years or decades of being season ticket holders, jacking it in & not going anymore. If nothing else about the move, why would anyone want a less good view; to be further away from the play? It's been insanity.
I don't say any of this for sympathy although as football fan to football fan, it is genuinely appreciated. I just like other teams fans to know the full picture. If people want to laugh or take the pee, that's fine, it's a free country. The fact is, both home & away fans, now have a worse match experience. And that is not right, for ALL fans.
What would I like to happen? Somehow get ownership of the place (I don't even know if that would ever be possible) & (probably have to) knock it all down & rebuild a proper football stadium in its place OR, build a new proper football stadium somewhere else & get the f*ck out of that place.
I don't have any real hope of either happening, certainly not in the short term, but one of those two things is what will be needed for us to ever get our team back.
Top post mate. This is how true fooball supporters should be. Make love, not war. You are a girl aren't you? 😜 Seriously, I hope all turns out ok for you guys in the end. I just can't see it happening though. Money talks and whilever you are getting 60k ish paying punters (and a season ticket waiting list I believe) then the wicked witch and the dildo brothers will take some shifting.

I'll be slagging you lot and your team off incessantly for 90 minutes tomorrow night lol. But after that, good luck for the rest of the season and in your battle with the evil forces who want to turn our beloved traditional game into Disneyland. 👍

I'll be slagging you lot and your team off incessantly for 90 minutes tomorrow night lol. But after that, good luck for the rest of the season and in your battle with the evil forces who want to turn our beloved traditional game into Disneyland. 👍
Likewise, mate.
I hope you win every game, after tonight! & finish as high up the table as you can.
A famous, big old club, back in the top flight after far too long out of it & having a blast. 👍

So that’s what Roy looks like.

Was it on a Friday when we won 3:1 against the S6? That was my lads first derby game.

Thats the last televised Friday night game I can remember us winning. The Burton away game mentioned earlier wasn't televised.

Thats the last televised Friday night game I can remember us winning. The Burton away game mentioned earlier wasn't televised.

A couple of weeks before Burton we beat Leeds 2-1 at Elland Road on a Friday night on Sky. Brooks got a late winner.

Back
Top Bottom